none
Communicator install and .MSP

Question

• Hi,

I want to install Office Communicator 2007 SP2 from an administrative install share and have it installed with the latest .msp. Unfortunately, the old version still installs so I'm wondering what I missed. Here are my steps:

Create the admin share:

msiexec /a c:\test\communicator.msi targetdir=\\Filer\Communicator\Install

Update the admin share with the .msp:

msiexec /a \\Filer\Communicator\Install\Communicator.msi /p c:\test\communicator.msp

Install the updated Communicator:

msiexec /i \\Filer\Communicator\Install\Communicator.msi

Unfortunately, Help-About still shows the old version :(

Thanks for your help,

Robert

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:22 AM

Answers

• I tested on my computer with no error, would you check the .MSP is the right version for the .MSI file? Then would you check the access permission of the shared folder? (The shared folder should be full access.)

Best Regards!
    • Marked as answer by RTEAL Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:11 PM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:18 AM

All replies

• From what I understand the MSI file will update properly with the /a /p switches like you have, the the client install will not work unless you specify the following switches:

msiexec /i <.msi file and location on share> REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus UPGRADEEITHRECACHE=TRUE

Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Friday, March 19, 2010 12:33 PM
  • More information about "Msiexec (command-line options)", Please check below link,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759262(WS.10).aspx

• Proposed as answer by Blue Coast Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Blue Coast Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Get more information from Technet.(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759262(WS.10).aspx) ,And would you try below commands, Good Luck!

msiexec /a c:\test\communicator.msi /qb TARGETDIR=\\Filer\Communicator\Install

msiexec /p c:\test\communicator.msp /a \\Filer\Communicator\Install\Communicator.msi

• Proposed as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Unfortunately, your link didn't work and the second command brought up the error:

"The installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and you can access it (it exists and I can access) or that this is a valid Windows Installer Package"

Here's the verbose logging:

=== Verbose logging started: 3/24/2010  17:57:54  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4001.5512  Calling process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe ===
    MSI (c) (5C:BC) [17:57:54:382]: Resetting cached policy values
    MSI (c) (5C:BC) [17:57:54:382]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
    MSI (c) (5C:BC) [17:57:54:382]: ******* RunEngine:
               ******* Product: TARGETDIR=\\filer\communicator\install\communicator.msi
               ******* Action: ADMIN
               ******* CommandLine: **********
    MSI (c) (5C:BC) [17:57:54:382]: Note: 1: 2203 2: TARGETDIR=\\filer\communicator\install\communicator.msi 3: -2147287037
    MSI (c) (5C:BC) [17:57:54:382]: MainEngineThread is returning 3
    === Verbose logging stopped: 3/24/2010  17:57:54 ===

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:03 AM
  • I tested on my computer with no error, would you check the .MSP is the right version for the .MSI file? Then would you check the access permission of the shared folder? (The shared folder should be full access.)

Best Regards!
    • Marked as answer by RTEAL Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:11 PM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:18 AM
  • I checked the share and ntfs permissions and gave everyone full control and it still failed. I'm suspecting the package.

Thank you for your help since the steps you posted will be valuable in the future.

Robert

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Ugh. I found out the problem.

First, I was impatient. I didn't realize the msiexec.exe /a install was still running and I started the second portion before the first finished.

Secondly,

didn't work unless it was all lower case.

Thank you very much!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Alternately, you can place both the .msi and .msp files in the same folder location and execute the following command:

msiexec.exe /i <full_path_to_communicator.msi> PATCH=<full_path_to_communicator.msp>

I slightly modified a fantastic deployment script so it would install Communicator and then update it to the latest level.

Thanks!

• Edited by J.Kuta Monday, July 12, 2010 9:04 PM Edited MSIEXEC parameters
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:01 PM