none
I can't install Office 2010 RTM due to "upgrading from a prerelease version"...

Question

• I have completely uninstalled the Office 2010 beta and all remaining Office 2007 products, rebooted several times, but the 2010 RTM won't let me install. It displays the following error:

Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error(s):
    Microsoft Office 2010 does not support upgrading from a prerelease version of Microsoft Office 2010. You must first install any prerelease versions of Microsoft Office 2010 products and associated technologies. Correct the issue(s) listed above and re-run setup.

The problem is, it doesn't tell me which programs need to be uninstalled to satisfy the requirement. Like I said, I think I've uninstalled everything Office-related, even the add-ins, such as Outlook Social Connector, etc. Any ideas? Thanks!

- Greg
    • Moved by Alicia CalesMicrosoft employee Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:29 PM Forums Consolidation (From:Microsoft Office 2010 Application Compatibility)
    Friday, April 23, 2010 3:03 AM

Answers

• You can try to completely uninstall the Office programs, and then install Office 2010 again.

First, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (Add/Remove Program Files), Locate the Office program and uninstall it.

Then, you can try to manually uninstall Office 2010 beta by the steps below: 

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe  

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start  -> All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2010 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries such as Office 2007 or other Office standalone products, such as Visio in the list, please remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click the “Start” peal, in the Search box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this registry subkey and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate14" to "OfficeUpdate14OLD"

9. Click Start, in the Search box, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

10. Empty the Temp folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don't influence the result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer.

13. Try to reinstall Office 2010 again.

Friday, April 23, 2010 8:25 AM

All replies

• You can try to completely uninstall the Office programs, and then install Office 2010 again.

First, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (Add/Remove Program Files), Locate the Office program and uninstall it.

Then, you can try to manually uninstall Office 2010 beta by the steps below: 

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe  

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start  -> All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2010 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries such as Office 2007 or other Office standalone products, such as Visio in the list, please remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click the “Start” peal, in the Search box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this registry subkey and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate14" to "OfficeUpdate14OLD"

9. Click Start, in the Search box, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

10. Empty the Temp folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don't influence the result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer.

13. Try to reinstall Office 2010 again.

Friday, April 23, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Worked like a charm. I'm once again a happy Office 2010 user. Thanks!
    - Greg
    Friday, April 23, 2010 2:46 PM
  • I am unable to install Office.

after doing the process mentioned above I got the following error.

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 encountered an error during setup.
    Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key
    UNKNOWN\Components\DA42BC89BF25F5BD0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\A27852A3C1F09894495
    Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact Microsoft Product supprot Services(PSS) for Assistance.

Please help me with this.

Friday, April 23, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Clooonnkkk!!!

same error. I have tried reinstalling Office 2010 after the recommendation from Selena and show me the same error. I think that tomorrow will be a long day reinstalling my Windows 7. :(

Hans A.

Junior Beta Tester
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Phew. finally solved :)
    I was not able to change the permissions manually. So i made some changes

you can refer this blog post for the complete solution . – http://techspiritz.blogspot.com/2010/04/trouble-installing-office-2010-betartm.html .

- Ritesh R Ganatra

Microsoft Student Partner, PICT

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:26 PM
  • thank you so much it has helped me so much thank you
    Friday, May 21, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Thank you for your information!!!I have got one problem...When I try to delete this-->

It said that is unable to delete!!!

Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:02 PM
  • how do i keep my .pst file if i delete OFFICE 2010 beta
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:43 AM
  • On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 00:43:32 +0000, hdtvsupply wrote:

> how do i keep my .pst file if i delete OFFICE 2010 beta

It always a good idea to backup data files before making changes.

Here is the Windows 7 - Vista location for the .pst file

C:\Users\<UserAccount Name>\Documents\Outlook Files

You can also reach it by Outlook Account Settings - Data Files

David

--
    From David Troxell - Encourager Software
    Email - mailto:office2010_Remove_@_Me_encouragersoftware.com
    Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge - Instructions to use
    http://profileexchanges.com/blog/?p=397

From David Troxell - Encourager Software Email - mailto:office2010_Remove_@_Me_encouragersoftware.com http://www.encouragersoftware.com/profile/microsoft-office-2010.html
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Make sure that the Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector (Beta) is uninstalled too. This is a separate application so it will need to be uninstalled separately. When I did this the problem went away. If the problem continues you should read this Microsoft Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

• Proposed as answer by vistarox Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:51 PM
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Dear proffessionals - pleeease help!

I've got the similar trouble....At the beginning the situation was just the same as gregsedwards  had. 

( Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error(s):
    Microsoft Office 2010 does not support upgrading from a prerelease version of Microsoft Office 2010. You must first install any prerelease versions of Microsoft Office 2010 products and associated technologies. Correct the issue(s) listed above and re-run setup.)

After following all your recommendations given to gregsedwards the installation started.BUT on the 3-th step loading suddenly stopps - and appears a message which told that there is a problem with downloading Trial virsion of Microsoft Office 2010 and advised me to contact Microsoft service . I tried to make the installation with "click-2-run" and with the usual way (32-bits)...

Please help! (And sorry for my poor English)

Saturday, November 06, 2010 2:33 PM
  • i followed your step to the dot but i still can't install it what do i do

Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:53 AM