none
Excel 2016: Share Workbook problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'am try to enable Share Workbook on my Excel 2016 16.0.6868.2062 (Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit).
    Excel file is saved on network share.

I have enabled "Allow changes by more than one user at the same time..."

After saved and reopen the file, I see on the title thath file is [Shared] and on Review -> Share Workbook, check is enabled on "Allow changes by more than one user at the same time...".

Now I have two problems:

1) If another user try to open this file, receive a message thath file is read-only.
    2) If I try to save file, I receive this message: The document was save successfully, but Excel cannot re-open it because of a sharing violation. Please cloe the document and try to open it again.

Can you help me to understand the problem ?

Thanks
    Manuel

Friday, May 20, 2016 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Manuel,

Based on your description, did this issue only appear after upgrading to Excel 2016 16.0.6868.2062?

For Read-Only problem, this problem may related to the permissions for users.

I suggest you confirm permissions for users access this folder are Read/Write. You can also try to disable the Shared option in Excel and check if users will open this file normally.

For problem 2, I suggest you go to File- Options- Advanced and uncheck "Ignore other applications that use DDE".

This problem may also related to the Details Pane, in Windows Explorer turn off the Details Pane.

Please try these methods first, any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 23, 2016 6:00 AM
  • Hello,
    all users have read/write permission on file and folder.
    If I disable sharing option in excel, all users open file normally.

The "Ignore other applications that use DDE" not solve my problem.

Manuel
    Monday, May 23, 2016 7:16 PM
  • Hi Manuel,

Sharing a workbook where multiple people open the same workbook in Excel on their desktop is a very unreliable feature. You are risking loss of the entire workbook due to corruption and edit conflicts may result in unexpected data to be saved.

So when you disable share feature, users will work fine.

I suggest you could refer to this link and the reply of MVP Jan Karel Pieterse:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/6ccb2de2-e080-45e1-a806-f29f2c69916c/common-issues-of-shared-workbook?forum=excel

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 2:13 AM
  • Hi Manuel,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 6:30 AM