none
Exchange 2016 CU4 setup fails at Schema preparation

Question

• Hello,

I want to install the first Exchange 2016-Server CU4 in a SBS 2011 Environment. The Exchange 2010 Version is 14.3.0339.0. This is the latest update (SP3 RU 16). The Active Directory Schema Version is Windows Server 2008, der Exchange Schema Version is 14734.

The setup fails during the prerequisites check with this error:

"Failed [Rule:E16E14CoexistenceMinVersionRequirement] [Message:Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 Setup can’t continue because it detected one or more Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 servers haven’t been upgraded to Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Exchange Server 2010. Before you can install Exchange 2016, all Exchange 2010 servers in your organization must be upgraded to Exchange 2010 SP3. This requirement includes Exchange 2010 Edge Transport Servers.]

Help URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.E16E14CoexistenceMinVersionRequirement.aspx

But, the SP3 RU 16 IS installed. So where do the Exchange Setup look for the versioninfo for Exchange 2010? May be I can "tweak" some attributes in ADSIEdit? I have seen, that after the Installation of the latest RU, the Attribute "SerialNumber" on the Exchange-Server Object wasn't updated.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Benjamin

• Edited by benkleinow Monday, March 20, 2017 1:49 PM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 1:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Benjamin,

Please check if the "versionNumber" property of all Exchange 2010 servers have been set to 1937997947, as below:

If not set, set the value and restart the server, then run Exchange 2016 setup again.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by benkleinow Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Benjamin,

I'd like to confirm the following questions before going further:

1. Do you have Exchange 2010 Edge transport server? If yes, have you upgraded the edge server to SP3?

2. Did you remove any exchange 2010 server before? That might result in some information residue in your organization. I recommend you use adsiedit to check if there is any Exchange 2010 server object is not in use:

Open ADSIEDIT -- Connect to Configuration --  CN=Configuration,DC=YourDomain,CN=com -- CN=Services -- CN=Microsoft Exchange -- CN=First Organization --CN= Administrative Groups --CN=Servers

Best Regards, 

Niko Cheng

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:19 AM
  • Hi Benjamin,

I'd like to confirm the following questions before going further:

1. Do you have Exchange 2010 Edge transport server? If yes, have you upgraded the edge server to SP3?

2. Did you remove any exchange 2010 server before? That might result in some information residue in your organization. I recommend you use adsiedit to check if there is any Exchange 2010 server object is not in use:

Open ADSIEDIT -- Connect to Configuration --  CN=Configuration,DC=YourDomain,CN=com -- CN=Services -- CN=Microsoft Exchange -- CN=First Organization --CN= Administrative Groups --CN=Servers

Best Regards, 

Niko Cheng

Hi Niko,

thank you for your reply.

1. No, I do not have an Edge Transport Server. I know that I have to renew the subscription after installing any Rollups/Updates.

2. No, I didn't. There are no other Exchange Server objects in the mentioned path. A few years ago the actual SBS Domain was migrated from 2003 to 2011. May be, somewhere there is some object from this old SBS 2003 Domain?

I just want to know, what exacly the prerequistes check from the Exchange 2016 Setup is looking up. There must be other Points but the mentioned ADSI-Path.

Kind regards,

Benjamin

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:45 AM
  • Hi Benjamin,

Please check if the "versionNumber" property of all Exchange 2010 servers have been set to 1937997947, as below:

If not set, set the value and restart the server, then run Exchange 2016 setup again.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

• Marked as answer by benkleinow Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:06 AM
  • Hi Benjamin,

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

That was it!  I have now installed Exchange 2016 Server successfully!

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Benjamin

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:30 PM
  • You're welcome.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:38 AM