none
Check for file permissions for the document or drive. Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space RRS feed

• Question

• "Word experience an error trying to open the file"

I installed Microsoft Office Professional 2010 about a month and a half ago and have not been having any problems until yesterday.  I received a word document as an attachment in my Outlook and I cannot open the file.  I keep getting the following error: "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions - *check the file permissions for the document or drive, *make sure there is sufficient free memory or disk space, *open the file with the Text Recovery Converter"  

This same email was also sent to a coworker and she had no problem opening it - she is using word 2000. I also had another coworker send me a test word attachment so that it would come from a different email and I had the same problem with that attachment.

It was sent using Microsoft 2000 or 2003 and I have NOT had problems with her sending the older files when I switched to 2010. I can open other word files already saved on my computer from previous emails.

I also tried saving it on my computer and then opening word and when going to open the document right-click and open and repair and I receive the same error message.

Sunday, January 18, 2015 9:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This problem usually occurs when the file was altered by a third-party software during the transmission process, and hence the file cannot be opened.

To fix this issue, first, right-click the Word file that you have problems with, and click "Property".

Click "Unblock", when done, click"OK". (Note: a properly-working Word file does not have an "Unblock" button displayed).

Next, you should be able to open this file without further problems.

If you encountered this problem in many of your files, you may try the following steps: first, move these files into the same folder, open Word 2010, and then click "File", and click "Options".

Click "Trust Center", and then click "Trust Center Settings".

Next, click "Trusted Locations", and click "Add new location".

Select the folder where you have just moved your files to; when done, click "OK" and then click "OK" again.

I hope the information is helpful.

Regarding this issue, there is a Microsoft KB, you can find more details in this link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2749199/en-us

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, January 19, 2015 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This problem usually occurs when the file was altered by a third-party software during the transmission process, and hence the file cannot be opened.

To fix this issue, first, right-click the Word file that you have problems with, and click "Property".

Click "Unblock", when done, click"OK". (Note: a properly-working Word file does not have an "Unblock" button displayed).

Next, you should be able to open this file without further problems.

If you encountered this problem in many of your files, you may try the following steps: first, move these files into the same folder, open Word 2010, and then click "File", and click "Options".

Click "Trust Center", and then click "Trust Center Settings".

Next, click "Trusted Locations", and click "Add new location".

Select the folder where you have just moved your files to; when done, click "OK" and then click "OK" again.

I hope the information is helpful.

Regarding this issue, there is a Microsoft KB, you can find more details in this link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2749199/en-us

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, January 19, 2015 11:55 AM
  • Thank you Melon Chen! This was really helpful and made my life easy! God Bless You always!!!!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:20 AM