none
Cannot open excel hyperlinks with .jpg extention, "An unexpected error has occurred"

Question

• Hello,

I've recently installed a Windows 7 with Office professional 2010 with all updates in a new machine.

When I try to open a .jpg hyper link in a spreadsheet, it open a blank IE page and a message appears:  "An unexpected error has occurred"

1- If the hyper link points to a .bmp, .mp3, .avi, it works fine.

2- I've tried to set Microsoft Office, Picture Viewer, IE, as default opening program. In Each case the problem remains.

3- I've tried to "repair" in Control Panel -> Programs. The problem remains.

4- I've tried to "Run regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office and renamed all folders". The problem remains.

5- I've tried to "Run regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet and create a new DWORD value named ForceShellExecute. Double-click on this and give it a value of one, then close the Registry editor.". The problem remains.

I'm out of ideas, could anyone give me some help?

João Rodrigues

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I've recently installed a Windows 7 with Office professional 2010 with all updates in a new machine.

When I try to open a .jpg hyper link in a spreadsheet, it open a blank IE page and a message appears:  "An unexpected error has occurred"

2- I've tried to set Microsoft Office, Picture Viewer, IE, as default opening program. In Each case the problem remains.

4- I've tried to "Run regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office and renamed all folders". The problem remains.

5- I've tried to "Run regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet and create a new DWORD value named ForceShellExecute. Double-click on this and give it a value of one, then close the Registry editor.". The problem remains.

João Rodrigues

6-  Also tried ccleaner. The problem remains.

Can't reproduce the problem on any other machine.

João Rodrigues

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Hello,

João Rodrigues

6-  Also tried ccleaner. The problem remains.

Can't reproduce the problem on any other machine.

João Rodrigues

I've figured out so far that this happens after installing microsoft imaging professional 2.5. 

There must be some incompatibility between excel and microsoft imaging professional 2.5.

I need both programs, any ideas?

João Rodrigues

Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:22 PM
  • I have the same type of issue and have tired everything that I can think of to resolve the issue.I can get it to open jpgs if I lank them to files on "c:" but if I go to a network location it will kick back with a error.
    Monday, April 02, 2012 3:08 PM