Import data from Excel to Sharepoint List in Sharepoint Designer 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• we have UserList contains columns FirstName, LastName.
    We have to create UI to import data from Excelsheet in to UserList.
    want to implement import functionality in Sharepoint Designer 2007
    Please suggest if we have any inbuild functionality for the same or ways to implement it.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:49 AM SPD questions go to Design/Customization not programming (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:54 AM

Answers

• Hi SPDesigner64, the easy way out here would be to choose Actions -> Edit in Datasheet in the SharePoint list. You can copy a whole column with all the cells just by copy and paste from Excel to SharePoint.

/ Christian
    Blog: chrisstahl.wordpress.com Twitter: @Cstahl
    • Marked as answer by SPDesigner64 Saturday, January 15, 2011 6:18 PM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:50 PM

All replies

• We have an OOB functionality to import excel sheet to List.Go to Site actions-->Create then you can find and option to import excel sheet
    Destin -MCPD: SharePoint Developer 2010, MCTS:SharePoint 2007 Application Development
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

The provided solution is great. I tried that.

But this option will create a new List. I want to append data to existing list.

ex. If I have UserList with FirstName and LastName as column.

Then I will create excel with this 2 columns with data need to add to existing list and I simply import the sheet.

Thanks again for useful post, please suggest solution for above situation.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:17 PM
  • But this option will create a new List. I want to append data to existing list.

ex. If I have UserList with FirstName and LastName as column.

Then I will create excel with this 2 columns with data need to add to existing list and I simply import the sheet.

Just for clarifications, if you already have an existing list, why would you "Create" an excel sheet and then try to import the data? Is it just for getting information from others? If that's the case, why not give appropriate permission to others so that they can enter the data into the list instead of the excel sheet?

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi SPDesigner64, the easy way out here would be to choose Actions -> Edit in Datasheet in the SharePoint list. You can copy a whole column with all the cells just by copy and paste from Excel to SharePoint.

/ Christian
    Blog: chrisstahl.wordpress.com Twitter: @Cstahl
    • Marked as answer by SPDesigner64 Saturday, January 15, 2011 6:18 PM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Thanks a lot Christian.

This is what I am looking for.

Moderator Note: Never ask in one thread for help in other threads.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:11 PM Links to other threads and Help requests removed. Moderator Note added
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 6:22 PM