none
Custom Permission Level - Add Item permissions without View Item permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon everyone, I hope you're all doing well.

Recently, I've been doing a lot of SharePoint work for the company I work for, and we've come across something of a problem with InfoPath form permissions. To give a quick summary of the situation: We created a few InfoPath forms for people to use to register for online courses, and to request assistance with the web pages. As I'm still fairly new to SharePoint/InfoPath, I wasn't aware that employees specifically needed edit-level permissions to THE LIST it's associated with to even be able to submit.

The main problem here is that a fair amount of the information requested for the form is confidential in that only the site administrators and person filling out the form should know it. I attempted to create a custom permission level with "Add Item" list permissions but NO "View Item" list permissions. It sounds like that would be the perfect way to let people submit but not view others' submissions (without changing the Library/List settings to only let people see their own submissions, as the administrators HAVE TO be able to see all). This, of course, doesn't work as clicking "Add Item" auto-checks "View Item" and they're linked together. Someone mentioned that there's a way to use Google Developer tools to make it so clicking Add Item doesn't automatically check "View Item", and this is what I was hoping to do - but they didn't give directions on how to do so. Is anyone here able to possibly give me instructions on how to do that, or instructions on any other way to unlink them while creating the permission group? Any help would be truly appreciated.

Sunday, November 17, 2019 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi LittleCynic,

If you want only the site administrators and person filling out the form can view and edit the items, you can set the Item-level permissions in list settings->Advanced settings, set only Read/Edit items that were created by the user.

The users with Full control and Design permission can view all the items override this settings.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi LittleCynic,

If you want only the site administrators and person filling out the form can view and edit the items, you can set the Item-level permissions in list settings->Advanced settings, set only Read/Edit items that were created by the user.

The users with Full control and Design permission can view all the items override this settings.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hi LittleCynic,

I’m checking how the things are going on about this thread. Whether the post helps you?

You can mark the post as answer if it helps.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:33 AM