none
Question versus normal discussion inside a discussion board App RRS feed

• Question

• I have added a new Discussion Board APP inside my Team Site collection.and when i create a new discussion item there is a check-box named "Question".. so what is the purpose of this field? for example if we compare two discussions one which have this check-box checked while the other have this check-box unchecked ??

• Edited by johnjohn11 Monday, August 10, 2015 5:01 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2015 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to know the difference between one discussion with question option checked and one question with question option unchecked.

When the discussion item has question option checked, it means that the item is a question and needs get answers from other member.

I have created two discussion items in my environment. One discussion item named “01” has question option checked and other discussion item named “02” has question option unchecked. In the “My discussions” view, there are the two items. In the “Unanswered questions” view, there is “01” item. In the “Answered questions” view, there is no item. It’s convenient for users to distinguish whether the item is a question and whether the question is answered.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by johnjohn11 Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:56 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:38 PM

All replies

• Looks like you got the screenshot I was looking for in another question you recently posted :)

Setting that checkbox does nothing much more different than adding that to the additional filters for questions:

i.e. Unanswered question, Answered Questions.

Discussions with the question box unchecked will not be part of these filters. Also, the person who posted the discussion as a question will be able to mark a response as answered.

Thanks, Ransher Singh, MCP, MCTS | Click Vote As Helpful if you think that post is helpful in responding your question click Mark As Answer, if you think that this is your answer for your question.

• Edited by Ransher Singh Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:40 PM User asked to remove the screenshot
    Monday, August 10, 2015 5:43 PM
  •  Also, the person who posted the discussion as a question will be able to mark a response as answered.

thanks for the reply. but i did not get your point you mean incase of posting a discussion without checking the Question , then the person who posted the discussion will not be able to mark a respons as answered ???? or this is possible with or without checking the Question check-box ?? can you adivce more on this please
    Monday, August 10, 2015 10:59 PM
  • Looks like you got the screenshot I was looking for in another question you recently posted :)

Setting that checkbox does nothing much more different than adding that to the additional filters for questions:

i.e. Unanswered question, Answered Questions.

Discussions with the question box unchecked will not be part of these filters. Also, the person who posted the discussion as a question will be able to mark a response as answered.

Thanks, Ransher Singh, MCP, MCTS | Click Vote As Helpful if you think that post is helpful in responding your question click Mark As Answer, if you think that this is your answer for your question.

can you please remove the picture as seems it contain our company name ..thnaks
    Monday, August 10, 2015 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to know the difference between one discussion with question option checked and one question with question option unchecked.

When the discussion item has question option checked, it means that the item is a question and needs get answers from other member.

I have created two discussion items in my environment. One discussion item named “01” has question option checked and other discussion item named “02” has question option unchecked. In the “My discussions” view, there are the two items. In the “Unanswered questions” view, there is “01” item. In the “Answered questions” view, there is no item. It’s convenient for users to distinguish whether the item is a question and whether the question is answered.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by johnjohn11 Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:56 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:38 PM