none
Server 2012/2016 Backup. Are my assumptions correct?

Question

• I have questions about Windows Server Backup on Server 2016 and 2012. I’m making some assumptions based on no facts, and I need to know if my assumptions are correct, or not.

Presently I have the backup program set up to back up data to two external 1TB USB hard drives. When I set it up initially both drives were plugged in. Set it up for incremental backup. Then after the setup I disconnected drive 2 leaving drive 1 attached for the initial first backup that night.

Of course, for that initial backup to drive 1, all directories and files I had marked for backup were backed up.  The next night I disconnected drive 1 and plugged in drive 2. It is my understanding that the backup to drive 2 was a full backup of all files and directories as set, and “not” an incremental backup of what was changed since the first backup on drive 1.

Now with swapping the drives each night, when I plugged in drive 1 on the 3<sup>rd</sup> night I am expecting it to backup those items that were changed/added/deleted since the original backup to drive 1, not just the things that changed since the original backup to drive 2.

Are my assumptions correct?

Saturday, November 11, 2017 3:51 AM

All replies

• Short answer: Yes your assumption is correct.

BUT. you need to make sure you have it configured correctly. Meaning, make sure the backup engine is aware of the two DIFFERENT disks. you can't just blindly unplug and re-plug in a new disk. the backup engine uses the disk ID to identify the backup drive. 

Please review the link below. 

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1437588-windows-backup-how-do-i-alternate-backup-disks

And lastly, you should always test your backups every couple of months to make sure you are able to recover from your backup device.

Sunday, November 12, 2017 12:43 AM
  • Thanks for the confirmation. I did double-check your reference to make sure the backup engine is aware there's two drives. Simple to check really, and since both drives appear in the pull-down selector of the destination usage box in the WB admin tool, it's "aware" of both drives.

My primary concern was that should something happen to one drive, I want to be able to perform a full data recovery with only one drive connected. Knowing that both drives must be connected initially to set them up, I was concerned that maybe both drives would have to be connected in order to do a full data restore. Knowing that I can do a full data restore with only one connected makes me feel better now. In a worst case scenario, the most I would lose would be two days worth of data. That would be a recoverable loss, should that unfortunate scenario ever occur.

We also change out one of the drives every six months. Less chance of both failing at the same time that way. Thanks again.

Sunday, November 12, 2017 12:59 AM
  • Not a problem.  Also in the future you might want to consider using a home - NAS storage with Disk-Raid (redundancy already built in) so you don't have to worry about manually plugging in different drives every time.

Here is an example of a Raid storage:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-4-Bay-4TB-1000GB/dp/B000Z2FVE8

you can partition them in any way you like the storage and you can use this to either backup your entire computer or just simply store all your valuable data/files on this NAS and you don't have to worry about crashing your computer since the data will remain on the NAS.  Anyway, something to think about.

Take Care
    H

Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates for your issue?

You could also use window server backup schedule to configure  multiple external disks to store backups, and you can rotate the disks between onsite and offsite storage locations

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732939(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:04 AM
  • That's exactly what I did from the get-go. Client swaps daily and takes one home with them each night.
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Hi Carl,

Thanks for your feedback. If you have more updates please feel free to contact.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

In addition, you could also mark the helpful reply as the answer for anyone else to do a reference.

Best Regards,

Mary

Friday, November 17, 2017 6:06 AM