none
Mail enabled public folder delivery problem RRS feed

• Question

• All servers running Exchange 2010 SP2 RU3

We have 2 public folder databases, (Database A and Database B). All public folders replicate between the 2 databases. The folders that are mail enabled only receive email on Database 1. Once the folder in Database A receives the
    email, it replicates to Database B. However, this is a huge problem when Database A is offline as no email is delivered to either database.

We need to be able to send all new email to public folders to be delivered to Database B when Database A
    is down. How do we do this?

I've researched, but it seems to have no solutions. Some site would be a bug problem.

Thank

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:15 PM

Answers

• On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:38:54 +0000, cleger wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi M Matheisen Thank you forthe answer, I'll do some testing in mylab I am looking towhether it would be possible to change a value with adsiedit or something else thatcould changethe priority of public database in the hierarchy.

No, the set of public folder stores is managed by the system and
    cannot be modified.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:23 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:57 PM

All replies

• This is one of those areas where public folders are a black box.  There isn't any setting I know of to fix this.  The answer is to not let Database A go down.  If it's flaky, then remove Database A completely.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:02 AM
  • Hi,

We do not have high availability for public folder database, so the only workaround I think you may have to add mail-enable public folder on databaseB to the recipient, thus message will also deliver to databaseB

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

I understand, but the public folder on databse A is replicate to public folder on Database B.  I can't add mail-enable it already activitated

Christian

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:13 PM
  • On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 18:15:18 +0000, cleger wrote:

>All servers running Exchange 2010 SP2 RU3
    >
    >We have 2 public folder databases, (Database A and Database B). All public folders replicate between the 2 databases. The folders that are mail enabled only receive email on Database 1. Once the folder in Database A receives the email, it replicates to Database B. However, this is a huge problem when Database A is offline as no email is delivered to either database.
    >
    >We need to be able to send all new email to public folders to be delivered to Database B when Database A is down. How do we do this?
    >
    >I've researched, but it seems to have no solutions. Some site would be a bug problem.

One way that might work is to stand up a single server with the HT and
    MBX roles and add a PF database (without any replicas) to it. Route
    your inbound mail through that HT server. The mail should be delivered
    to the local PF database and then distributed to the replicas on the
    other PF stores.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, June 7, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Hi M Matheisen

Thank you forthe answer, I'll do some testing in mylab

I am looking towhether it would be possible to change a value with adsiedit or something else thatcould changethe priority of public database in the
    hierarchy.

Thank

Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:38 PM
  • On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:38:54 +0000, cleger wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi M Matheisen Thank you forthe answer, I'll do some testing in mylab I am looking towhether it would be possible to change a value with adsiedit or something else thatcould changethe priority of public database in the hierarchy.

No, the set of public folder stores is managed by the system and
    cannot be modified.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

• Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:23 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:57 PM