none
some of the data is not showing the export to excel from list RRS feed

• Question

• when I  exported the data from list to excel, all columns data showing in the excel sheet except below highlighted column ( column name is ---> open actions and deliverables) 

and when we click on "View Entries" it is navigating to below display item form where it is showing only below highlighted data only, remaining data is not showing in the excel. Please help.

Below is the excel sheet output:

• Edited by sns shyam Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:57 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:56 AM

Answers

• Hi sns, 

Yes, Exporting to excel will only send the current version of all the items to excel. whatever we edit the with latest will that only reflect in excel. 

So for your issue, make sure you have added value on the multiple lines of text column when you edit the item in the latest time.

Reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/60236366-a341-431e-b645-833778b5f43b/append-changes-to-existing-text-not-returns-blank-for-a-particular-user-in-export-to-excel?forum=sharepointgeneral

About the blog, i will explain it in details:

Export list to Excel, Save the owssvr.iqy file and open with notepad, copy just the URL from the file and paste it on browser, adding "&IncludeVersions=TRUE" at the end of the URL:

Click enter, Save the XML file:

Create a new excel->File->Open->choose the XML file->select the "As an XML table" option:

Then you should have all the version history (I suggest you add the Version column to the view).

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by sns shyam Friday, September 20, 2019 10:10 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Hi sns,

You don't ask end user who has this issue. 

From the picture, the issue is that when export the list with a multiple lines of text column with Append changes to existing text to excel, it just pull the latest version text of the multiple lines of text column to the excel.

It is the by designer behavior, because exporting to excel will only send the current version of all the items to excel. 

To export sharepoint list version history to excel, refer to the steps in below similar issue post:

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/250585/append-to-existing-text-exporting-to-excel

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi sns, 

For this issue, when you choose to use “Append changes to existing text”, it is actually using version to manage this feature, each time you append a text, it create a version for the item.

When we export the list with a multiple lines of text column with Append changes to existing text to excel, it is by designer pull the latest version text of the multiple lines of text column to the excel.

Similar issue post for your reference:

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/250585/append-to-existing-text-exporting-to-excel

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the response.

I have few doubts, could you please clarify:

Exporting to excel will only send the current version of all the items to excel
    Does it mean, whatever we edit the with latest will that only reflect in excel? 

Here for our list version is enabled, then still why data is not reflecting in the excel? 

view it in the browser, means view it from SharePoint site itself? 

From below blog I am not clear on 3,4 and 5 steps, please help me in understanding it

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10561661/sharepoint-list-version-history-export-to-excel 

how to use below one, do we need add after list URL? and what it will do? please help here

3. Copy just the URL from the file and paste it back into your browser, adding "&IncludeVersions=TRUE"

4 and 5, how to perform these step? please give more details.

and what exactly I need to address the user here. Thank you. 

Friday, September 20, 2019 5:52 AM
  • Hi sns, 

Yes, Exporting to excel will only send the current version of all the items to excel. whatever we edit the with latest will that only reflect in excel. 

So for your issue, make sure you have added value on the multiple lines of text column when you edit the item in the latest time.

Reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/60236366-a341-431e-b645-833778b5f43b/append-changes-to-existing-text-not-returns-blank-for-a-particular-user-in-export-to-excel?forum=sharepointgeneral

About the blog, i will explain it in details:

Export list to Excel, Save the owssvr.iqy file and open with notepad, copy just the URL from the file and paste it on browser, adding "&IncludeVersions=TRUE" at the end of the URL:

Click enter, Save the XML file:

Create a new excel->File->Open->choose the XML file->select the "As an XML table" option:

Then you should have all the version history (I suggest you add the Version column to the view).

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen 

Friday, September 20, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the continuous support. 

How do we make sure that we have added value on the multilpie lines of text column when we edit the item in the lates time?
    the column type what i refereed in the first thread is multiple line of text already.

and I have followed the steps you have given, added the &IncludeVersion=TRUE at the end of the URL, but below is the out put (blank)when I browse it. Please help. 

so  DO I need to address the user to open file in this way(from note pad and XML), once it worked for me?

• Edited by sns shyam Friday, September 20, 2019 9:17 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Hi sns,

Is "open actions and deliverables" a multiple lines of text column with Append changes to existing text? 

Do you mean "open actions and deliverables" has values, but export to excel, there is no value? 

You can view item to see whether you have added value on the multiple lines of text column. 

Besides, i suggest you create a new multiple lines of text column with Append changes to existing text and compare whether the issue exists in it. 

When you open the URL in IE, click enter, you will get download owssvr.xml:

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Friday, September 20, 2019 9:19 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Actually I am not sure on first two questions as end user is working on it. 

Below is the screenshot when I click on view item, perhaps user has added value on multiple values of text. 

I pasted URL in IE and entered still the blank screen is showing as output. 

I dont have a scope to do any changes in the item unless confesses.

Could you please guide me on what exactly I need to ask end user who has this issue?

Friday, September 20, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hi sns,

You don't ask end user who has this issue. 

From the picture, the issue is that when export the list with a multiple lines of text column with Append changes to existing text to excel, it just pull the latest version text of the multiple lines of text column to the excel.

It is the by designer behavior, because exporting to excel will only send the current version of all the items to excel. 

To export sharepoint list version history to excel, refer to the steps in below similar issue post:

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen 

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Hi sns, 

For your issue "pasted URL in IE and entered still the blank screen is showing as output."

Make sure you copy the right URL. 

Besides, you can send the reference to the end user, let him do it. 

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen 

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thank you. I will do so. But why it is showing blank? 

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:05 AM
  • Fine. Will do so
    Friday, September 20, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Hi sns, 

I am not clear why it is showing blank. Try to open the URL in chrome and compare the results. 

Per my test, i can download owssvr.xml:

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:13 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Is there anything wrong in the URL which I am picking up from notepad?

I picked up only highligted one till the end.

Below is the screenshot

and at the end of the URL below, it is showing tracker and then I have added &IncludeVersions=TRUE beside tracker, in chrome it can not be reached message popping up not sure why. 

• Edited by sns shyam Friday, September 20, 2019 10:29 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 10:29 AM
  • Hi sns, 

URL which I am picking up from notepad is looks like the following:

http://sp2016/sites/team/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?XMLDATA=1&List={7B8B04E1-FDAB-4646-83BD-B24A5DD3A964}&View={6E4B1296-F46C-4C8C-BA57-727EB38412E6}&RowLimit=0&RootFolder=%2fsites%2fteam%2fLists%2fct1

Selection={7B8B04E1-FDAB-4646-83BD-B24A5DD3A964}-{6E4B1296-F46C-4C8C-BA57-727EB38412E6}
    EditWebPage=
    Formatting=None
    PreFormattedTextToColumns=True
    ConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=True
    SingleBlockTextImport=False
    DisableDateRecognition=False
    DisableRedirections=False
    SharePointApplication=http://sp2016/sites/team/_vti_bin
    SharePointListView={6E4B1296-F46C-4C8C-BA57-727EB38412E6}
    SharePointListName={7B8B04E1-FDAB-4646-83BD-B24A5DD3A964}
    RootFolder=/sites/team/Lists/ct1

I add &IncludeVersions=TRUE at the end of the URL, i paste the following URL in IE or chrome, i can download the owssvr.xml:

http://sp2016/sites/team/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?XMLDATA=1&List={7B8B04E1-FDAB-4646-83BD-B24A5DD3A964}&View={6E4B1296-F46C-4C8C-BA57-727EB38412E6}&RowLimit=0&RootFolder=%2fsites%2fteam%2fLists%2fct1Selection={7B8B04E1-FDAB-4646-83BD-B24A5DD3A964}-{6E4B1296-F46C-4C8C-BA57-727EB38412E6}EditWebPage=Formatting=NonePreFormattedTextToColumns=TrueConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=TrueSingleBlockTextImport=FalseDisableDateRecognition=FalseDisableRedirections=FalseSharePointApplication=http://sp2016/sites/team/_vti_binSharePointListView={6E4B1296-F46C-4C8C-BA57-727EB38412E6}SharePointListName={7B8B04E1-FDAB-4646-83BD-B24A5DD3A964}RootFolder=/sites/team/Lists/ct1&IncludeVersion=TRUE

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:38 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

still it is showing blank. 

I am not sure where I am doing wrong in capturing the URL, I have saved file as a owssvr.iqy  on desktop and opened with notepad. 

and URL is below selected one. 

Monday, September 23, 2019 10:09 AM