none
Unable to launch Exchange 2016 mailbox from Outlook 2010 and 2016 - Able to open up via OWA

Question

• We are migrating from Exchange 2010 to 2016 and are in a state of coexistence. I'm unable to launch any Exchange 2016 mailboxes from Outlook 2010 and 2016. I am able to open up the Exchange 2016 mailbox from Outlook Web Access. When I try to launch the mailbox from Outlook I get the error "Cannot open your default email folders. Microsoft Exchange is not available. Either there are network problems or the Exchange server is down for maintenance". Any suggestions? I have not cut over autodiscover to Exchange 2016 yet. Is there something I need to configure with Outlook Anywhere for Exchange 2016?
    Friday, November 10, 2017 6:05 AM

Answers

• Hi TGIF2011,

Based on your description, I understand that the issue is happen to exchange 2016 mailbox, it works fine with exchange 2010 mailbox, is that right?

For the affected outlook, is that internal or external?

If there is no issue with exchange 2010 mailbox, you could try to sign in with exchange 2010 mailbox, then right click outlook taskbar and press ctrl, choose test Email autoconfiguration, input the Email address and password of exchange 2016 mailbox check autodiscover service, if possible, please give us a screenshot for the result.

For exchange server side, please ensure change DNS record to point to Exchange 2016, including autodiscover, SCP, OAB, EWS, MAPI over HTTP and Outlook Anywhere.
    Therefore, to check the value for internal URL and External URL for Exchange 2016

Get-OutlookAnywhere | Select Server,InternalHostName,ExternalHostName
    Get-MAPIVirtualDirectory | Select Server,InternalURL,ExternalURL
    Get-OABVirtualDirectory | Select Server,InternalURL,ExternalURL
    Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory | Select Server,InternalURL,ExternalURL
    Get-ClientAccessServer | Select Name,AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri

Moreover, if this issue also occurs on external Outlook client, try use ExRCA to test Outlook Autodiscover.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi

I just wanted to know that have you tried with restart of Autodiscover Application Pool? As well, take help of Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool  to finding issues with the configuration.

Regards,
    Raj

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:48 AM
  • I have not, but these servers have been rebooted several times which restarts the Autodiscover Application Pool.
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 3:00 AM
  • try to run the autodiscover test for outlook and see if there is any error. Also when you create a profile, does it let you finish all the steps.

check if you are able to ping the exchange server hostname and IP address. Also ping the webmail address from the computer.

You can run test-outlookconnectivity to test the connectivity.

Thanks & Regards Ramandeep Singh

Saturday, November 11, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Hi TGIF2011,

Based on your description, I understand that the issue is happen to exchange 2016 mailbox, it works fine with exchange 2010 mailbox, is that right?

For the affected outlook, is that internal or external?

If there is no issue with exchange 2010 mailbox, you could try to sign in with exchange 2010 mailbox, then right click outlook taskbar and press ctrl, choose test Email autoconfiguration, input the Email address and password of exchange 2016 mailbox check autodiscover service, if possible, please give us a screenshot for the result.

For exchange server side, please ensure change DNS record to point to Exchange 2016, including autodiscover, SCP, OAB, EWS, MAPI over HTTP and Outlook Anywhere.
    Therefore, to check the value for internal URL and External URL for Exchange 2016

Get-OutlookAnywhere | Select Server,InternalHostName,ExternalHostName
    Get-MAPIVirtualDirectory | Select Server,InternalURL,ExternalURL
    Get-OABVirtualDirectory | Select Server,InternalURL,ExternalURL
    Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory | Select Server,InternalURL,ExternalURL
    Get-ClientAccessServer | Select Name,AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri

Moreover, if this issue also occurs on external Outlook client, try use ExRCA to test Outlook Autodiscover.

Regards,

Alice Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 8:31 AM
  • Thanks Alice, I have not made any DNS changes to point to Exchange 2016 yet so that is most likely the problem. I will try that. Thanks!
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:47 PM
  • You are welcome, I am glad to help you

Regards,

Alice Wang

Friday, November 17, 2017 2:47 AM