none
Calendar Start and End Time Validation RRS feed

• Question

• Our users have found that the default calendar list does not appropriately validate the Start Time and End Times to make sure that the end date/time doesn't come before the start date/time.  Because StartTime and EndTime are both defaulted to the current date/time when a user selects to enter a new calendar event, it is possible (and happens quite often) that the user will change the StartTime but forget to change EndTime.  In this case the EndTime is the before the StartTime, but the system accepts it and actually swaps the date/time values (the event starts at EndTime and ends at StartTime).

I don't really understand how this could be the default behavior for the list.  I have found a posting online with instructions for adding some JavaScript to the NewForm.aspx page that will validate start and end time and warn the user when the event is set to end before it starts, however I would prefer not to have to customize this page for each and every calendar we have on the site.  Does anyone know of a way to correct this default behavior, or to at least set the default Start Time and End Time fields not to default to anything so at least the user will have to fill both of them out and can't overlook one?

Thanks - Chanda

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 8:11 PM

All replies

• Goog day Chanda!

I have the same issue.. and I haven't found any solution for it.
     Can anyone helps with this or we all shoult wait till new sharepoint version is available

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Hi

If you don't like the idea of customizing so many pages. The other way could be referring the Javascript file with "PreSaveAction" function in the master page. But these may not be the feasible solution if you have too many date fields to check.

But this is giving best result to me presently..:)

-Ariharaselvan.s
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 4:35 PM
  • I too got the same thing. I though validation settings would help me set validation on End Date, but before validating the formula it does swap the values and validation does not run. But the workaround could be to customize the form in Infopath and set the validation..

Hope this helps!!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:38 AM