none
SharePoint - Item - Edit Properties - Access Denied Error

Question

• I have a SharePoint 2007 EE Site  (with patches up to version 12.0.0.6327) running on Windows Server 2008 & SQL Server 2008.
    I ported an existing site from a different domain to this server by backing up/restoring the content database. The site is running fine.

I added a new sub-site and here is where I have the issue. If I create a document library, add a document, and then use the drop-down on the item to pick "edit properties" I bounce to the SP Error: Access Denied screen. My account is a site admin and has full access to the sub-site.
    I can view the properties fine.

When I try to upload a document I get the access denied error message if some of the meta data properties are marked "required". The document is still uploaded. I also get the same error when I try to edit an item in a list.

I can view/edit the properties in Data sheet view fine. The libraries on the existing sites work fine. It only seems to be an issue on new sub-sites.

It almost seems like a permission problem generating the property edit forms. There is nothing in the SP log files.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:36 PM

Answers

• I worked through this issue with Micrososoft PSS. The Februray hotfix rollup kb961756 & kb961755 contain a fix to prevent this issue from occuring. This does not fix existing sites though. The support person sent me a small executable that when executed against the SP libraries with the issue fixed the problem. The source code for this app is as follows. Put this in a console app and pass the site URL and list name as parameters.
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Text;
    using Microsoft.SharePoint;
    using System.Xml;

namespace CA_TestingHotfix
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                FixField(args);
            }

static void FixField(string[] args) 
            { 
                string RenderXMLPattenAttribute = "RenderXMLUsingPattern";

//Console.WriteLine("Please enter the URL of the site: (Press enter after typing):");
                string weburl = args[0];

//Console.WriteLine("Please enter the Document Library Name: (Press enter after typing):");
                string listName = args[1];
                SPSite site = new SPSite(weburl); 
                SPWeb web = site.OpenWeb(); 
                SPList list = web.Lists[listName]; 
                SPField f = list.Fields.GetFieldByInternalName("PermMask"); 
                string s = f.SchemaXml; 
                Console.WriteLine("schemaXml before: " + s); 
                XmlDocument xd = new XmlDocument(); 
                xd.LoadXml(s); 
                XmlElement xe = xd.DocumentElement; 
                if (xe.Attributes[RenderXMLPattenAttribute] == null) 
                { 
                    XmlAttribute attr = xd.CreateAttribute(RenderXMLPattenAttribute);
                    attr.Value = "TRUE"; 
                    xe.Attributes.Append(attr); 
                } 
                string strXml = xe.OuterXml; 
                Console.WriteLine("schemaXml after: " + strXml); 
                f.SchemaXml = strXml; 
            }

}
    }

• Proposed as answer by M_MS Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by jeff1024 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:33 PM
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

If you export a list template and then use the list template as a custom list template, after this you create a new list item and save, when you edit the list item, you will get an “Access Denied” error. This is by design behavior and is targeted for the next release.

Let me know if I misunderstand you.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Monday, February 16, 2009 3:05 AM

All replies

• Do you have different SSP's? Check that your site is linked to right SSP.

Regards
    /Henrik
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:50 PM
  • There is only one SSP setup for the farm. The site that is having the trouble is a sub-site. The top level site and the other sub-sites are fine. This sub-site and new sub-sites I create seem to have the issue.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Did you choose to have unique permissions or are the permissions inherited from top site?

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:56 PM
  • They are unique. I can create, delete, and edit the properties using the grid view. I cannot use the edit properties form - I get the access denied error. Thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:02 PM
  • New items uploaded started working recently with no changes made to the system. Users cannot still edit properties of existing items.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please tell me was the document library created from a document template?

Thanks!
    Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:46 AM
  • One was created using a template - Is there something specific to remplates that I should look at?

Friday, February 13, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

If you export a list template and then use the list template as a custom list template, after this you create a new list item and save, when you edit the list item, you will get an “Access Denied” error. This is by design behavior and is targeted for the next release.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Monday, February 16, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Does this affect read only permission with lists created from existing site content aswell ? I have a list which gives an access denied error when clicking on an item by a user who has read only permissions on the list. If I make them a contributor then they can view (and edit obviously). However, they are able to view other lists (with readonly permissions) that have been created from scratch with no probles.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:47 PM
  • I have a SharePoint 2007 running on Windows Server 2003 & SQL Server 2005 and I have a similar problem:

I added a new sub-site and here is where I have the issue. If I create a document library, add a document, and then use the drop-down on the item to pick "edit properties" I bounce to the SP Error: Access Denied screen. I can view the properties fine. The libraries on the existing sites work fine. It only seems to be an issue on new sub-sites.
    If I try to set permissions for a specific document or folder it is not possible. In the Actions there is only "Manage Permissions of Parent"
    I tried with Site collection admin account; System Account and user Account with full control on site and  sub-site.
    We did not import or export any template. 

Does anybody found anything why this could happened?

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:04 PM
  • I've found this answer in another forum... I've a similar problem and is a very big problem...

John Creevy said

Anthony,

Through extensive testing in recreating VMs, we have seen this issue occur after the August Cumulative updates and not occur before. The access denied can be replicated by performing an export\import on any site or site collection on a farm that is at or greater than the August cumulative version. The February Cumulative updates does not repair the issue.

We found the following added to the tp_Field in the dbo.AllLists SQL table for newly created Announcements and Surveys after an export\import is done on a post August update farm:

Although we have seen this in Announcements and Survey Branching, we have not tested every list type. There may be other instances where the access denied occurs.

As your repair is for existing lists with the problem, would you have any insight into what one can do now to prevent any new lists from inheriting the problem?

Did Microsoft share root cause?

Did Microsoft indicate the ETA on the hotfix?

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Hi,
    When you say 'this is by design behavior and is targeted for next release', do you mean 'targeted to be corrected in  next release?'  Do you know if there will indeed be a hotfix, as another reply has implied?
    Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:31 PM
  • What is the work around? Do we have to move all the content OUT of the sub-site?
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 6:20 PM
  • I worked through this issue with Micrososoft PSS. The Februray hotfix rollup kb961756 & kb961755 contain a fix to prevent this issue from occuring. This does not fix existing sites though. The support person sent me a small executable that when executed against the SP libraries with the issue fixed the problem. The source code for this app is as follows. Put this in a console app and pass the site URL and list name as parameters.
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Text;
    using Microsoft.SharePoint;
    using System.Xml;

namespace CA_TestingHotfix
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                FixField(args);
            }

static void FixField(string[] args) 
            { 
                string RenderXMLPattenAttribute = "RenderXMLUsingPattern";

//Console.WriteLine("Please enter the URL of the site: (Press enter after typing):");
                string weburl = args[0];

//Console.WriteLine("Please enter the Document Library Name: (Press enter after typing):");
                string listName = args[1];
                SPSite site = new SPSite(weburl); 
                SPWeb web = site.OpenWeb(); 
                SPList list = web.Lists[listName]; 
                SPField f = list.Fields.GetFieldByInternalName("PermMask"); 
                string s = f.SchemaXml; 
                Console.WriteLine("schemaXml before: " + s); 
                XmlDocument xd = new XmlDocument(); 
                xd.LoadXml(s); 
                XmlElement xe = xd.DocumentElement; 
                if (xe.Attributes[RenderXMLPattenAttribute] == null) 
                { 
                    XmlAttribute attr = xd.CreateAttribute(RenderXMLPattenAttribute);
                    attr.Value = "TRUE"; 
                    xe.Attributes.Append(attr); 
                } 
                string strXml = xe.OuterXml; 
                Console.WriteLine("schemaXml after: " + strXml); 
                f.SchemaXml = strXml; 
            }

}
    }

• Proposed as answer by M_MS Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by jeff1024 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:33 PM
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 6:28 PM
  • This work fine... but if I create a new list the problem come back again in this new list...
    For sure I can't run this code everytime I have to create a new list or a new document library.
    Any idea?

PS
    This problem in my case happen also in the main site not only in the subsite.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Xue-Mei Chang, Would liketo know why this is by design. Seems to defeat the export/import process.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Did you install hotfixes kb961756 & kb961755? This seemd to fix the issue for me for creating new lists & libraries. It did not however fix new subsites. I am still looking for a fix for new sub-sites. It has been hinted to me that this will be fixed in SP2.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:03 PM
  • I think he meant it is a known issue and was slated to be fixed in SP2.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hi everyone,
          we've detected some problems with item contextual menu that shows VIEW PROPERTIES and EDIT PROPERTIES options for only read access users. Is it related with this issue? We've started to have problems uploading documents and system allways shows the annoying ACCESS DENIED ERROR page. How can we fix that?

Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:29 AM
  • I am having the list edit issue as well. When i create the new list and try to edit item i get ACCESS denied. it occurs in all new list. I have full control on whole site collection. Please help.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:13 AM
  • WSS 3.0 Sp2

I have same problem...! I installed SP2 and the problem still persists!!!

I was try export/import in a new blank site, nothing ...

When Created a new list and after try to edit item... Access Denid again.......

• Edited by Douglasfo Saturday, July 04, 2009 8:26 PM new item
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Hello all,

@Douglasfo -- did you ever find a solution on your side?  We've noticed the same thing on our server.  We also tried applying KB971065 but that didn't do anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:59 PM
  • All,

As many before me I just encountered this error as well.  Users created a links list and then add items to the list and went to edit them and got  "Access Denied".  Even me the Site Collection Admin is getting the error on the this and any new links list that I create.

Has there been a fix or to this or do i need the run the executable code that is on this post?

We are in the process to upgrade to SP2 in our production environment today and from other comments even that will not fix the issue on exisiting lists.
    www.sharepointbeginners.com
  • Hello,

I've also had the same problem on my site except that it occurred after I created a sub-site with certain Site Features switched on (namely the Job Requisition & Interview Management Features) and then I switched them off. My thread is here... http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/a83db5ba-7b5f-44fa-b0eb-3f1b919c1047.

Now, all new lists that are created can not be edited as I get the Access Denied Page. I can only edit in datasheet mode.

I found this article on the web that has fixed part of the problem, so may help many of you. This article talks about the same issue and includes a code fix that can be applied to existing lists to stop the access denied error occurring. http://www.beyondweblogs.com/post/SharePoint-security-access-denied-permission-corruption-problem-Edit-Item-and-Access-Workflows.aspx 

However, the problem still occurs on newly created lists. If anyone figures out how to stop this occurring on newly created lists, please let me know!!!

Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by deibeat Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:30 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:45 PM
  • You need to also fix the Field definition for the affected sites (not just the lists that are affected). The reason this happens in new lists is that the field definition is also missing the RenderXMLUsingPattern attribute. So in addition to fixing the lists with the problem you need to fix the field definition in the affected sites.

Instead of writing a console app, you can also do this by using SPManager tool. Navigate to the affected site. Then navigate to the fields collection. Then find the "Effective Base Permission" field. Edit the SchemaXML for the field and add the attribute RenderXMLUsingPattern="TRUE".

Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:16 PM
  • i am having this problem as well. i'll try the fix from vicki, but any proposed fix or anything like that by microsoft?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:20 PM
  • Ok...it is available on list level. But there is no xmlSchema in field collection at site level....it is blank as given below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <Fields>
    </Fields>

how we can fix it instead of each list?

Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Has Microsoft released a hotfix for this issue, Urgent help required on this one please..

SQL 2005 with Sharepoint
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

Xue-Mei Chang

I'm also having the same issue Jeff1024 was having and Xue-Meu Cheng outlined. My understanding is - this issue was patched with Service Pack 2. I've service pack 2 applied in my farms. But still having the problem - any suggestions anyone?

Tried to correct with SP Manager as Vicki Dillon mentioned - but does not look like this can be corrected at the site level. I don't see 'Effective Permissions Mask' field at the site level.

Many thanks!

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

Xue-Mei Chang

I'm also having the same issue Jeff1024 was having and Xue-Meu Cheng outlined. My understanding is - this issue was patched with Service Pack 2. I've service pack 2 applied in my farms. But still having the problem - any suggestions anyone?

Tried to correct with SP Manager as Vicki Dillon mentioned - but does not look like this can be corrected at the site level. I don't see 'Effective Permissions Mask' field at the site level.

Many thanks!

i was same as you.  had sp2 installed but had 1 site collection with this problem.

did jeff's code for individual fixes, but think this is the code i used to fix the entire site collection at once.

http://arabia-sharepoint.blogspot.com/2010/02/access-denied-error-message-while.html

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Hi can you please send me the executable file, I need to deploy and fix the problem on a MOSS07.

Sorry it's urgent we have a doc library stopped for this problem.

Thanks

Maurizio

i have already installe dthe two KB specified.

Monday, October 17, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Hi All,

I have site owner permisions and have created many of site columns as well which we are using.

However, when I try to edit custom site columns (ex- editing description) its is giving me access denied, but editing does happens once I look back again.

Can anyone explain this behaviour and provide a solution to it ?

Thanks in advance

Friday, July 12, 2013 6:57 AM