none
SSMS 2017 17.3 - No Text Editor Font and Color Options! RRS feed

• Question

• Having installed 2017 17.3 then uninstalled SSMS 2016, I now find that there are very, very, few items in the Tools > Environment > Fonts and Colors > "Show settings for:" drop-down.

I have just 5.  On my Laptop, I have dozens.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled after reboot - still missing.

I have run Repair and rebooted - still NO OPTIONS.

This is an UNUSABLE SSMS Environment.

How do I fix it, please?

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:47 AM

All replies

• Hi SAinCA,

I found a similar thread for your reference, which suggests to install SSMS 17.2 and then install "SQL Server Management Studio 17.3 upgrade Package(upgrades 17.x to 17.3)", see if it helps.

If that does not work for you, I would recommend you submit it to Microsoft Connect. This connect site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft Connect.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Visakh16MVP Wednesday, November 1, 2017 5:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by SAinCA Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SAinCA Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 5:52 AM
  • Very grateful for the swift reply, and for its accuracy.  All is well now, thanks.

UPDATE - 2018-01-10

Things are FAR from well...  17.0 upgrade to 17.4 on a brand new server = NO OPTIONS

It looks like the above "solution" is hit-or-miss, and Erland's "hammer" doesn't restore settings either... (See linked post later in this thread)

This is a man-hours black hole once it happens.  One colleague has uninstalled nearly everything SSMS/VS and STILL has no Editor options - resignation to "I'll just never have color choices again" has set in.

Why can't Microsoft just fix the thing!?

• Edited by SAinCA Wednesday, January 10, 2018 10:04 PM Fix no longer a "fix".
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:48 PM
  • Hi SAinCA,

Glad to help and thanks for your response. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 7:02 AM
  • Do you know if Connect item already exists? I don't want to go through this path myself. I have it installed fine (that was the first version I installed), why should I go through such complex steps to fix the issue?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:07 PM
  • This really is not a path to a solution.  I posted at "Microsoft Connect" and noticed that most all posts are being ignored. There have literally been hundreds of posts made just since Nov 10, 2017 that have not received a single response. I really don't know why MS even has that website.

RS

• Edited by RS2 Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:11 PM
  • Can you please post direct link? I'd like to add my vote.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:23 PM
  • Do you know if Connect item already exists? I don't want to go through this path myself. I have it installed fine (that was the first version I installed), why should I go through such complex steps to fix the issue?

So you ran into this problem? So did I. I uninstalled and installed 17.2 and upgraded. This worked. I ran into this on a corporately installed machince. I tried to repro it on my own virtual machines at home, but I did not run into the issue. I learn about an alternative way to deal with the problem from an MS engineer, but it is necessarily not simpler than uninstalling an upgrading.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 10:39 PM
  • The uninstalling and then reinstalling 17.2 and upgrading to 17.3 did not fix the problem for me.  What was the alternative solution you mention in fixing this issue?

Thanks RS

RS

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:12 PM
  • Hi Erland,

I'd be very interested in that "alternative" method...

I resolved my issue as instructed above, but my colleague, after uninstalling and reinstalling just about every combination from 17.2+Upgrade, 17.1+, 17.0+, remove SSMS 2016 install 17.0+, remove SSMS 2014 install 17.0+... still has a bad install!

Could you share, possibly, please, as a "last resort, brute hack" or something similarly named...?

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:17 PM
  • https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback/Details/3144872

RS

Thanks for the Item.  Added a few salient comments.
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:25 PM
  • For some weird reason this always redirects me back to this thread. In any case, I found your Connect item yesterday and already voted.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:49 PM
  • Thanks.  Grabbed the details.  Working up the courage to "ruin" my colleague's machine.  Cheers!
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:55 PM
  • Same problem with SSMS 17.4, still no options available to set the "SQL Commands" color

Regards
    Paolo

Monday, January 8, 2018 1:07 PM
  • UPDATED DUE TO CONSISTENT, REPEATABLE FAILURES ON GREEN-FIELD SERVER 2016

Having updated just ONE machine successfully to 17.4, and used its settings file as the import to a failed 17.0-to-17.4 fresh install, choosing just the "Fonts and Colors" node, still no Text Editor options!

Grovelling down the registry on the WORKING machine, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0 has a complete tree structure, including HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\AutomationProperties\FontsAndColors\TextEditor, the "Package" property for which points to a package IN the imported vssettings file, {DA9FB551-C724-11D0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}. 

The 10.0 hive is entirely not-there on the failed box.

Removal of SSMS 2017 before VS 2010 install is recommended, or the Repair of 2017 may fail (File not found).

On the failed box, I downloaded and installed the 10. isolated VS Shell...  https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=visual%20studio%202010&wt.mc_id=o~msft~vscom~older-downloads.  Many, many Windows updates will then be applied, including VS2010SP1...  Restart required.

Then Repair the VS2015 isolated shell.  Install 17.0 - NO Options

Back to Erland's PUSHD "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\FE948F0DAB52EB8CB5A740A77D8934B9E1A8E301\redist" vs_isoshell.exe /Uninstall /Force /PromptRestart, vs_isoshell.exe /PromptRestart combo...

All for NOTHING.  Abject frustration that something as simple as this is a black hole.

• Edited by SAinCA Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:07 PM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:16 AM
  • SAinCA, I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble here. 

These settings in the Tools|Options, Environment|Font snd Dooare stored in the registry under HKCU, not HKLM. Can you please check the HKCU hive?

In VS2010, the registry entries are installed to HKLM, but are then copied for each user to HKCU. The Toolbox settings should reflect the state of the registry in the HKCU hive. If they are missing from HKLM, it's not clear why they are missing. 

Each version of the VS Isolated shell stores it's settings in different versioned folders under HKLM and HKCU. You mentioned in your last post, you repaired the VS2015 ISO shell. The VS2015 ISO shell will write values to the 14.0 folder while the VS2010 version will write to a different version folder.

Can you check the state of your HKCU and HKLM registry hives?

Thanks,

_M

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:35 PM
  • This exists:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio\14.0_Config\AutomationProperties\FontsAndColors\TextEditor

Not being a registry expert, I can see that the package is the same as the one cited above, but it doesn't appear to help me see anything about WHY none of the options I've always seen are not there in a fresh install.

As a comparison, I just Friday updated in place from SQL 2016 to 2017 on an Azure server.  After SQL was patched to 2017 CU3, with the obligatory restart, I applied SSMS 17.0.  I immediately opened it to ensure that all the text editor settings were still there - they were.  Updated to 17.4 using the update file, and the settings are still there...

What several of us NEED is a reg file that we can apply to get our settings back!

There appears to be no rhyme or reason why one box fails when it is brand new, and another that had SSMS 2016 is quite fine after applying the same 17.0 + 17.4 files...

Would someone at Microsoft please release a fix-it reg file...?

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:18 AM
  • Hi,

I also have problem with the colors in the SSMS 17.5.

The text-editor options within the settings menu seem to appear normal, but I have no colored coding at all.

Only black text. This is poor, as the problem exists for a long time by now!

Does anyone have a fix, reg-file or workaround?

Monday, March 5, 2018 8:15 AM
  • Version 17.6 -> installed on a new clean Windows 10 laptop as the first application installed.  Problem still exists.
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 4:30 PM
  • What does "clean" mean in this context? Did you get it directly from the store? Or from the IT department? Something else?

Saturday, April 7, 2018 6:35 PM
  • I do presentations at events like UG meetings and SQL Saturday.  Old laptop was having hard drive problems and bios didn't support ssd so I bought a new one.  Only thing I installed was SQL Server so I could use the new machine for a presentation at the SQL Saturday in Madison a couple weeks ago.  I didn't discover there was no way to increase the font size until someone asked me to do so in mid-presentation.

Sorry for the delay.  Must have skipped the 'notify of responses' checkbox.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 9:54 PM
  • Version 17.6 -> installed on a new clean Windows 10 laptop as the first application installed.  Problem still exists.

And I just installed SQL 2017 Developer, then CU5, then SSMS 17.0, then the upgrade to 17.6 and - you guessed - NO Text Editor options...

So I saw the "upgrade available" and downloaded, then applied the 17.7 bits.  STILL no options.

Uninstalled SSMS.  Rebooted.

Installed 17.7 FULL Download.  STILL NO OPTIONS!

Uninstalled - again.  Rebooted - again!

Downloaded 16.5.3, just for grins.  Installed.  Bingo!  Text Editor Options.

Re-installed 17.7 full version.

Guesses for what resulted will not be rewarded...  NO TEXT EDITOR OPTIONS, even after explicit Import from the 2016 settings.

HOW FRUSTRATING DOES IT HAVE TO GET BEFORE MS FIXES THIS GARBAGE ONCE AND FOR ALL? 

I've upvoted the two Uservoice posts but they only have 3 and 4 votes, so traction isn't anticipated.

Yet another disappointment with MS tooling.

Maybe someone knows of a real fix, because re-kicking the server OS and starting over is a day lost...

Friday, May 11, 2018 12:45 AM
  • Guesses for what resulted will not be rewarded...  NO TEXT EDITOR OPTIONS, even after explicit Import from the 2016 settings.

But you were able to use the settings imported from 2016. even if you could not access them, no?

HOW FRUSTRATING DOES IT HAVE TO GET BEFORE MS FIXES THIS GARBAGE ONCE AND FOR ALL? 

Had it been that simple that this had occurred on each and every machine, Microsoft would have fixed this long ago. But the problem is that it does not seem to be the case.

Friday, May 11, 2018 8:39 AM
  • Hi Erland,

Import was apparently successful.  SSMS gave no indications of any errors.  I observed the warning yellow-triangles against three settings and didn't override them.

My question to MS would be that if THEY know where THEY store these configurations, and the configuration info is missing, then supply, say, a REGISTRY update script that at the very least puts all the default values in place.  A .reg file can't be THAT difficult - I'm sure I've seen other registry update files and I've used some of them, so, at least to my simple way of thinking, MS is the SME, so provide a fix-it for registry settings...

Like you say, it is entirely unpredictable whether one will get a good or bad install.  Quite why that server took the 2016 install OK, but refused every attempt to apply the 2017 bits and get options is a real puzzler.

I'm very tempted to get our Cloud Host to re-kick the box as I know that there will be a decent number of devs and support who will live on that box for several months, and I'd like to eliminate their frustrations.

Cheers!

Friday, May 11, 2018 6:33 PM
  • Re-kicked the box.  This time went straight for the v17.7 full install.  What a disappointment - no options, yet again, one more Microsoft fail hits the skids.

I.  Give.  Up.

• Proposed as answer by Ciconiidae Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ciconiidae Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:42 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:17 PM
  • I feel your pain if it gives you any consolation.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:43 PM
  • While I haven't been able to get the options back, I have been able to change the font and colors.
    If you have access to your old environment and it still looks right, you can export the settings then import them into SSMS 17. It seems, like me, you installed 17 and it wiped out your old environment settings as well. 
    I used this guy's .vssettings file and it changed the font & color to something a lot better than the default. Maybe a brave person could dive into that file and edit manually. Anyway, here's the instructions and download I used:
    https://blogs.sentryone.com/aaronbertrand/making-ssms-pretty-my-dark-theme/
    • Proposed as answer by Hice Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:12 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SAinCA Wednesday, December 12, 2018 1:59 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:45 PM
  • While I haven't been able to get the options back, I have been able to change the font and colors.
    If you have access to your old environment and it still looks right, you can export the settings then import them into SSMS 17. It seems, like me, you installed 17 and it wiped out your old environment settings as well. 
    I used this guy's .vssettings file and it changed the font & color to something a lot better than the default. Maybe a brave person could dive into that file and edit manually. Anyway, here's the instructions and download I used:
    https://blogs.sentryone.com/aaronbertrand/making-ssms-pretty-my-dark-theme/

Ciconiidae, you just spared me a migraine. Thank you. If I could send SentryOne a fruit basket, I would. 

Side note - this file is actually very easy to edit; it's basically an XML file with very intuitive nodes for editing colors. 

"0x02000000" means "Default color"
    "0x00409D00" means "Hex color 009D40", as it seems to be in BGR formatting, not RGB. A quick google will let you replace colors to your preference. 

Happy scripting. 

• Edited by Hice Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:19 AM Typo
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:17 AM
  • It's STILL a problem!

Brand new Azure VM.

Downloaded SSMS 17.9.1 from Microsoft.

Yes, I am a Local Admin.

Run as Administrator.

Tools ==> Options ==> Fonts and Colors

THREE Items under "(All Text Tool Windows)"  

UTTERLY STAGGERING that this is a problem on an Azure box, first time out, using the latest SSMS build.

Could a Microsoft Tech please, finally, put together"something" that repairs this BUG?

• Edited by SAinCA Wednesday, December 12, 2018 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 2:04 AM
  • It's STILL a problem!

Brand new Azure VM.

Downloaded SSMS 17.9.1 from Microsoft.

Yes, I am a Local Admin.

Run as Administrator.

Tools ==> Options ==> Fonts and Colors

THREE Items under "(All Text Tool Windows)"  

UTTERLY STAGGERING that this is a problem on an Azure box, first time out, using the latest SSMS build.

Any chance that you try installing the SSMS 18 preview? I don't know if it fixes the problem, but it uses the VS 2017 isolated shell, so maybe the issues goes away by itself.

I would guess the reason that Microsoft has not fixed this issue is that they have not been able to recreate it.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:45 PM
  • I just set up an in-house Hyper-V client on shiny new hardware, and loaded 17.9.1 - no options. Again.

Is it "safe" to install these preview editions, Erland?  In the past, we've had awful troubles removing CTP bits - we have a SQL 2017 instance with CTP stragglers that refuse to budge from 2 years ago, hence very leery of a repeat performance, especially as the shiny new VM is our primary Dev box.

Friday, February 8, 2019 11:33 PM

• Is it "safe" to install these preview editions, Erland?  In the past, we've had awful troubles removing CTP bits - we have a SQL 2017 instance with CTP stragglers that refuse to budge from 2 years ago, hence very leery of a repeat performance, especially as the shiny new VM is our primary Dev box.

I will have to admit that I have only installed the SSMS 18 preview on VMs that I use for testing SQL 2019 CTPs, and I don't have any plans to install on real "machines" as long as it is in preview.

On the other hand, there is no text on the download page which recommends against installing it on regular machines. Au contraire, there is text that says that you can install it parallel with SSMS 17.

Saturday, February 9, 2019 10:59 AM
  • Try...

Hold "Ctrl-Mouse Wheel" in the Editor window - this worked for me.

Still can't figure out how to change the font of the results window though...

Saturday, March 2, 2019 1:24 AM
  • SSMS 18.0 (Preview 7) fixed the issue.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:33 PM
  • Dude, this doesn't have anything to do with font size at all.  There are a lot of missing settings that MS just didn't include in this version..
    https://imgur.com/a/XiGMm

Ist muss sein!!!

Monday, April 1, 2019 8:43 PM
  • I've tried 17.9.1, 17.8.1, 17.3, and no ONLY 4 option appeared.

I just want to change a suitable font family and font size for coding stored procedure, but it seems not possible ....

Friday, April 26, 2019 10:22 AM
  • Hey man, you saved my eyes!!!

Dev

Friday, April 26, 2019 6:37 PM
  • I've tried 17.9.1, 17.8.1, 17.3, and no ONLY 4 option appeared.

I just want to change a suitable font family and font size for coding stored procedure, but it seems not possible ....

Note that SSMS 18 have just been released as generally available. So far, no one has reported this problem with SSMS 18, so why not give it a spin?
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-2017

Friday, April 26, 2019 9:20 PM
  • Hi, Erland :

I've tried the SSMS 18.0, it is OK.
    I can change the font family and size again, thank you.

Best Regards,
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:50 AM
  • The solution described in the link below worked for me.

https://blog.greglow.com/2019/04/11/sql-fix-missing-font-options-in-sql-server-management-studio-ssms-17-x/

But I had to also install SSMS 18.1 alongside 17.9.1 to get a copy of this Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.rll file. After following the instructions, all the options in Font and Colors reappeared even without restarting SSMS.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:44 PM