none
Rename folder blocked after file saved to folder

Question

• Summary:

On Windows (tested XP + Vista) if I save a file from an application (tested Word and FileMaker Pro) into a folder, user cannot rename folder while the original application is open.

Steps to Reproduce:

Create a 'test' folder on desktop

Open Microsoft Word

Save document into 'test' folder

Go to desktop and try and rename the 'test' folder to 'test renamed'

Actual Result:

Folder cannot be renamed - Word document saved locks folder

Expected Result:

Should be able to rename the folder

Workaround:

Close application used to create file

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Fmdeveloper,

Thank you for reporting it.

This issue should be caused by the application need to monitor the destination folder. This behavior causes folder is locking. If you use the Notepad to do this test, the issue won't occur. The request should be an application code request, we cannot resolve the issue on OS side. Thank you for your understanding.

I will report this issue to our Office Team as a request. Regarding to FileMaker Pro, it is recommended to contact their support to ask for request.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:28 AM
  • I have submitted a bug report to FileMaker.
    I have also submitted a report to the Office 2010 development team through Connect. If you could pass the report along to the Office team as well, hopefully the issue gets resolved in a future update or release.

Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by fmdeveloper Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Fmdeveloper,

Thank you for reporting it.

This issue should be caused by the application need to monitor the destination folder. This behavior causes folder is locking. If you use the Notepad to do this test, the issue won't occur. The request should be an application code request, we cannot resolve the issue on OS side. Thank you for your understanding.

I will report this issue to our Office Team as a request. Regarding to FileMaker Pro, it is recommended to contact their support to ask for request.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Do you have any resource available that I can't point the developers of FileMaker (or any other that I come across) on how to fix/address this?

Typo in initial post - corrected below:

Summary:

On Windows (tested XP + Vista) if I save a file from an application (tested Word and FileMaker Pro) into a folder, user cannot rename folder while the original application is open.

Steps to Reproduce:

Create a 'test' folder on desktop

Open Microsoft Word

Save document as PDF into 'test' folder (even when file is saved in a document that is not open or managed by Office is locked) [original steps listed could be accounted for by having the file open]

Go to desktop and try and rename the 'test' folder to 'test renamed'

Actual Result:

Folder cannot be renamed - Word document saved locks folder

Expected Result:

Should be able to rename the folder

Workaround:

Close application used to create file

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Hi Fmdeveloper,

Please understand that FileMaker is not a Microsoft product, I don't have FileMaker developer contact information.

You can try to post it on FileMaker feedback forum to let them know.

Provide feedback

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:40 AM
  • Hi Fmdeveloper, 

Do you have any update on this question? If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks, and have a great day!
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:09 AM
  • I have submitted a bug report to FileMaker.
    I have also submitted a report to the Office 2010 development team through Connect. If you could pass the report along to the Office team as well, hopefully the issue gets resolved in a future update or release.

Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by fmdeveloper Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:59 AM
  • It's been almost a decade, and Microsoft still failed to fix this pesky bug. After attaching files to an email in outlook 2016, I have to close the latter before I can delete the folder containing the attached files. So sad .....
    Monday, October 15, 2018 6:29 AM