none
Lync 2013 - Easy way to insert internal server name onto client RRS feed

• Question

• A little background.  Currently only the IT dept is using Lync 2010 or Lync 2013.  We are not using Exchange(happening soon though).  Our Lync Server is only internal(again working on building an edge server).  Our Lync clients used to connect automatically with their AD name when restarting or logging into Lync. 

Last week we noticed that Lync 2013 has upgraged to Skype for Business. This made us not log into Lync until we figured out why.  We finally figured out that if we put the FQDN in the Internal Server name Lync 2013 will work again(was left blank before).  We stopped the updates from going out but a few still got it. We manually went around and fixed those Lync 2013 clients.  My question for you all is there an easy way to push the FQDN to the internal server name under Tools-->Personal-->advanced..? Looking for a script that I can have them click or some other way.   

Friday, April 24, 2015 2:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• From memory, you can use Group Policy to set this. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178992(office.15).aspx

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

Georg Thomas | MVP (Skype for Business)
    Blog skype4bexpert.com | Twitter @georgathomas
    Lync/Skype for Business Edge Port Check (Beta)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, April 24, 2015 2:44 PM
  • Came to add: I think the key's you'd be after if you wanted to put it in your own group policy are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.\Lync
    ServerAddressInternal
    ServerAddressExternal
    ConfigurationMode (set this to 1).

This is for 2010 but the same keys apply: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398998%28v=ocs.14%29.aspx

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, April 24, 2015 2:54 PM
  • Found it....I just loaded the ADMX file into my local policy editor, but you would use this with Group Policy and then apply to whoever as necessary.

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, April 24, 2015 3:00 PM
  • It's better to use the official ADMX so it's not branded into your registry.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, April 24, 2015 3:04 PM
  • First thanks for all the responses! I downloaded the ADMX but will not allow me to in add lync to local group policy editor.  I rather try this on a few test pc's to see what happens before I use a group policy. 

Nevermind, I was trying on my wrong pc.
    • Edited by Hurley081182 Friday, April 24, 2015 3:56 PM edit
    Friday, April 24, 2015 3:49 PM
  • If you wanted to add it to the local group policy edit you need to copy the admx file to %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\ and also the corresponding adml file into the language folder. 

Then restart gpedit.msc and it should appear.

Friday, April 24, 2015 7:43 PM
  • Hi Hurley081182,

Agree with others, it’s recommend to use Lync 2013.admx Administrative Template, which contain the registry-based policy settings that you configure for Group Policy objects in the domain.

For more details, please check out the following article.

Configuring client bootstrapping policies in Lync Server 2013

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425941%28v=ocs.15%29.aspx

Best regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 27, 2015 8:42 AM
  • Hi Georg,

I have set it for certain set of users and its working perfectly fine although I just wanted to check if it is possible that user still controls it and can change it to Automatic or Manual configuration and even in manual configuration a different SIP address can be set? As it is currently greyed out for users to change. We have deployed on Computers as Users are not segregated in a proper OU structure in AD.

Regards,

Sumit

Monday, January 30, 2017 10:42 AM