none
kb2541763 trash

Question

• After update kb2541763. Office 2003 users reporting extremly long slow file losds from mapped network drives. Tried rolling back update but this did nothing. Uninstalled Symantec Endpoint , still nothing. What is up with this update?
    Friday, July 01, 2011 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Wade - this thread appears to be going in a couple different directions.  The main part has to do with slow opening files in Excel 2003, hewa1 I'd suggest starting a different link (probably in an Outlook forum) for your problem opening Excel attachments.

Office File Validation is for more than just Excel, it's all of Office.  The slow opening in Excel 2003 is a known issue, but uninstalling 2501584 is not a recommended solution because Word and PowerPoint are not affected negatively at all.  There are 3 known workarounds while we work on getting a solution for the Excel side.

1. Save files locally (we understand this isn't optimal for most, but it is an option)
    2. Upgrade to 2007 or 2010 (the slowness ONLY affects files opened in 2003)
    3. Alter the registry to disable the Excel OFV (this leaves Word and PowerPoint unchanged and protected).

We have a KB with a "Fix It" available for number 3 above that is right now the one we expect most customers will utilize.  If you choose to do it manually, you will need to create the registry key (it is not something already on your system).

Excel 2003 Office File Validation (OFV) opens workbooks slower across the network

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2570623

Hope that helps!

Please remember to mark this as "answer" if it resolves/answers your issue.
    • Marked as answer by Nick Wan Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:11 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

• Are you sure about this update? It's a known issue for the File Validation Add-In:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/officeitpro/thread/214b4ff1-f908-496f-bafa-87b8d73775b1

Saturday, July 02, 2011 8:27 AM
  • We are having the same issues after users have installed kb2541763 on their computers. Has anyone managed to fix the problem? Is it really related to KB 2501584? Or does this problem occur if you have KB 2501584 installed and then update with kb2541763?
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 7:52 AM
  • I followed the  mentioned link above for KB2501584. I could not find the registry entry mentioned. All my systems are XP Pro. I used add remove to uninstall the File Validation add in. This worked, looked to me like the 2 installed on the same date 6/30/11. I'm having no issues with 2007 users, so far.
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 1:51 PM
  • We're seeing this issue with client's XP machines. Yes, definitly an issue with kb2541763.

Also definitly an issue with file validation add-in - have had to remove that from a number of machines for a different client, but on these machines the office file validation add-in has not yet been installed.

Curiously, it did only seem to affect Office documents, not other documents on the network.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:20 PM
  • We had the same issue with few users. I had to get hold of Microsoft. After removing "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-inn" it works now.

Now I have another user, that he used to email his excel file right from excel file, I mean he has the option "email" on excel file. He still can send the excel file, but the recipient cannot either open or save the file.

When the recipient trying to open the file, the message "The operation failed. An object cannot be find" shows up. If the recipient trying to save the file, the message "Outlook cannot save the file" appears.

That is happening with excel 2003. We do not have any issue with users that using office 2007.

Any idea what steps I can approach to resolve the issue.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:50 PM
  • I have not had any complaints about that issue yet! I do have users that Email spreadsheets from Excel. I just hope most are using 2007. Please let me know if you find anything.  
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Hi Wade - this thread appears to be going in a couple different directions.  The main part has to do with slow opening files in Excel 2003, hewa1 I'd suggest starting a different link (probably in an Outlook forum) for your problem opening Excel attachments.

Office File Validation is for more than just Excel, it's all of Office.  The slow opening in Excel 2003 is a known issue, but uninstalling 2501584 is not a recommended solution because Word and PowerPoint are not affected negatively at all.  There are 3 known workarounds while we work on getting a solution for the Excel side.

1. Save files locally (we understand this isn't optimal for most, but it is an option)
    2. Upgrade to 2007 or 2010 (the slowness ONLY affects files opened in 2003)
    3. Alter the registry to disable the Excel OFV (this leaves Word and PowerPoint unchanged and protected).

We have a KB with a "Fix It" available for number 3 above that is right now the one we expect most customers will utilize.  If you choose to do it manually, you will need to create the registry key (it is not something already on your system).

Excel 2003 Office File Validation (OFV) opens workbooks slower across the network

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2570623

Hope that helps!

• Marked as answer by Nick Wan Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:11 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Ryan - are you able to tell me what this "Fix It" does? Does it simply disable the OFV? If yes, how does this happen? Through the registry?

Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Most domain users dont have admin rights so they will not be able to write to the Policies key. You will need to create the key below:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Security\FileValidation]

"EnableOnLoad"=dword:00000000

If you need to deploy the key out to multiple users you can export the key and use the command below. 

%windir%\regedit.exe /s <PATH_TO_REG_KEY>

This command can also be included in a batch file which can be deployed with GPO login script, SCCM, etc.

Doakm[MSFT]

Friday, July 15, 2011 4:37 PM
  • We added another method for a workaround....

• Method 3 now removes the GKExcel.dll key from the machine, deleting the Excel portion of the OFV. 
    • Method 4 now disables the Excel portion of the OFV thru the registry.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:49 PM