none
Suggestion: "full path" inside the "In Folder:" field in search result RRS feed

• Question

• Integrated Search function (Ctrl+E) in Outlook 2010 is a great thing.  It would be even better if it can show the full path inside the "In Folder:" field for every mail in the list of search result.

Let me explain.  In the image below, I move my mouse pointer on one of the mails in the list of search result.

As you can see, that mail is contained inside a folder called "Mobiles", but I have several subfolders called "Mobiles".  So I have to go through every "Mobiles" subfolder to find out where that message is -- provided I remember where ALL of the subfolders are located!  Therefore, it would be nice if the "In Folder:" field shows the full path.

OK, I could give a better example than this "Mobiles".  I have folders like this:

+ Purchases
     +---- 2012
     +---- 2013

+ Projects
     +---- 2012
     +---- 2013

+ Company contracts
     +---- 2012
     +---- 2013

etc

So every time if I found a message in the folder called "2012", it's not sure in which one it is exactly.  There is also a situation in which a subfolder is rarely used (ie it contains very few mails) and even if I see the folder name, I'm not sure where it is exactly.

In case you ask, my mailbox is over 1.5GB and I have thousands of mails and about 50 (sub) folders. So, don't tell me I have to remember the whole folder's tree structure!

Please think about this feature for your future Outlook.

• Edited by Horinius Friday, March 29, 2013 1:10 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 1:06 PM

Answers

• Right, I have got the answer (a workaround) from Microsoft Partner forum.  Since that forum is not open to everyone, so let me write it here for the record:

The workaround comes from this page: http://www.outlook-tips.net/how-to/find-folder-path-in-mailbox/

More exactly, it's in one of the comments:

For both Outlook 2010 and 2013:
    1. Run a search to identify an e-mail in the "target" folder.
    2. Select and open (double-click) the e-mail.
    3. Click on the opened e-mail to make sure that is your active window.
    3. Press Ctrl-Shift-F (Advanced Find).
    4. Click the Browse button to reveal the full path to the e-mail.

No need to use any macro.  But a macro solution also exists:
    http://www.vboffice.net/sample.html?lang=en&mnu=2&smp=65&cmd=showitem

The program in the previous link, as seen by a non-experienced VB programmer like me, is making more sense.  At least I can see the attribute "obj.Parent" which is absent in those previous posts.  Moreover, other methods and attributes are also different.

Jaynet, IT is a branch of science.  In science, it's not enough to say "I think something works" and it works!  You have to give proof.  Sorry for you, but it's like exams:

if someone asks "what's the answer of 10+15" and if you say "I think the answer exists", you don't get mark.  If you say "it's some where between 20 and 30 and you have to find it yourself", you still don't get mark!

Anyway, thanks for the reply.  You could close this discussion.

Regards,

Mr. Unless I see

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:16 AM
    Monday, April 8, 2013 6:44 PM

All replies

• Translate this article: Creating search folders using code

and this one: Search by content subject

Use this codes to your problem.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Horinius Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:31 AM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Hi Oskar Shon,

I have read both articles (after translation by Google) but I don't think they answer my need: show FULL folder path.

I have made a search of the word "path" but it's nowhere.

Unless I see a working example, I cannot let this conversation marked as answered.

Hi Jaynet Zhang,

Why did you mark his post as answer?  Have you checked its validity?

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:35 AM
  • You can modyf. tooltiptext to full path your'e showed.

I was recommended you procedure to make search folder using VBA. 

If you do not like it - sorry I do not have another solution for you. Besides Thanx to Moderator to follow my minds.

Maybe someone else.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Well, I don't see any tooltiptext in either source code.  And I don't see how the source code get the parent path.  And mostly of all, is there any API documentation on that?  You cannot expect someone to
    change some source code (provided that's the good lead) without giving him more hint!

As to the moderator, I'm pretty sure she didn't follow your idea.  I think she just check your post as answer since it's the only reply.  That's really disappointing.

• Edited by Horinius Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:39 PM
  • "It would be even better if it can show the full path inside the "In Folder:" field for every mail in the list of search result"

So you can't do it using standard interface (dot).

I was giving you a propose to create something useful colled Search folder, but you resume it as " really disappointing." ok - your knowledge - fine.

Maybe your looking commend: Folder.parent.Name if you set object using VBA.

anyway, this is a code to all folders - you can use condition on your path:

Sub EnumerateFoldersInStores()
        Dim colStores As Outlook.Stores
        Dim oStore As Outlook.Store
        Dim oRoot As Outlook.Folder

On Error Resume Next
        Set colStores = Application.Session.Stores
        For Each oStore In colStores
            Set oRoot = oStore.GetRootFolder
            Debug.Print (oRoot.FolderPath)
            EnumerateFolders oRoot
        Next
    End Sub

Private Sub EnumerateFolders(ByVal oFolder As Outlook.Folder)
        Dim folders As Outlook.folders
        Dim Folder As Outlook.Folder
        Dim foldercount As Integer

On Error Resume Next
        Set folders = oFolder.folders
        foldercount = folders.Count
        'Check if there are any folders below oFolder
        If foldercount Then
            For Each Folder In folders
                Debug.Print (Folder.FolderPath)
                EnumerateFolders Folder
            Next
        End If
    End Sub

Do it what you want mr "Unless I see"

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Monday, April 8, 2013 1:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Horinius Monday, April 8, 2013 8:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 2:22 PM
  • "It would be even better if it can show the full path inside the "In Folder:" field for every mail in the list of search result"

So you can't do it using standard interface (dot).

Of course I know what I asked cannot be done in standard interface. I have never claimed the opposite!  That's why the title of my post is "Suggestion:...." and I've written "Please think about this feature for your future Outlook." at the very end of my post.

I was giving you a propose to create something useful colled Search folder, but you resume it as " really disappointing." ok - your knowledge - fine.

You should look carefully where I wrote that "really disappointing". It was put in the same paragraph as my comment to that moderator.  It's always bad to wrongly accuse others of whatever he didn't do.

About the codes (in plurals), I really have no idea where they lead to.  I only know we can use VBScript inside Excel to do some customized programs, but I have never learnt how to make program inside Outlook.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

We really can use vba code inside Outlook.

And I think Oskar's code can work for you.

As for how to use vba code inside Outlook, here's a link for you to reference to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee814736(v=office.14).aspx

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 5, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Right, I have got the answer (a workaround) from Microsoft Partner forum.  Since that forum is not open to everyone, so let me write it here for the record:

The workaround comes from this page: http://www.outlook-tips.net/how-to/find-folder-path-in-mailbox/

More exactly, it's in one of the comments:

For both Outlook 2010 and 2013:
    1. Run a search to identify an e-mail in the "target" folder.
    2. Select and open (double-click) the e-mail.
    3. Click on the opened e-mail to make sure that is your active window.
    3. Press Ctrl-Shift-F (Advanced Find).
    4. Click the Browse button to reveal the full path to the e-mail.

No need to use any macro.  But a macro solution also exists:
    http://www.vboffice.net/sample.html?lang=en&mnu=2&smp=65&cmd=showitem

The program in the previous link, as seen by a non-experienced VB programmer like me, is making more sense.  At least I can see the attribute "obj.Parent" which is absent in those previous posts.  Moreover, other methods and attributes are also different.

Jaynet, IT is a branch of science.  In science, it's not enough to say "I think something works" and it works!  You have to give proof.  Sorry for you, but it's like exams:

if someone asks "what's the answer of 10+15" and if you say "I think the answer exists", you don't get mark.  If you say "it's some where between 20 and 30 and you have to find it yourself", you still don't get mark!

Anyway, thanks for the reply.  You could close this discussion.

Regards,

Mr. Unless I see

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:16 AM
    Monday, April 8, 2013 6:44 PM
  • That doesn't asnwer the question.

The questions was 'Full Path', But advanced search shos only the folder (the last folder) and doesn;t show 'Full path'

Looks like there is no solution.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 12:05 AM
  • That doesn't asnwer the question.

The questions was 'Full Path', But advanced search shos only the folder (the last folder) and doesn;t show 'Full path'

Looks like there is no solution.

The solution is in my last answer.
    Monday, May 28, 2018 10:07 AM
  • Dear Jaynet,

thank you a lot for this good suggestion. The macro helps for me, as long as the mail is some kind of list. As soon as I have it opened e.g. from my to do list and try to use the makro from the mail, it doesn't do anything unfortunately. Has anyone maybe solved this?

Thanks, Gabriele

Monday, April 15, 2019 1:51 PM