none
Sharepoint Calendar export to Outlook but can only view the Title column RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a Calendar in Sharepoint for booking out company vehicles. The fields I have created are: Vehicle (Choice), Driver (User/Group), Start & End Times, Title (text), DisplayField (Calculated text based on Vehicle + Title...... it would be nice to include Driver but it seems Sharepoint cannot handle the User/Group datatype in a calculated field.....but I digress).

I use the DisplayField calculated field in my default calendar view in Sharepoint. All is good at this point. When one connects it to Outlook (via the Action menu in Sharepoint) the calendar is added but all the entries show only the Title field. If I double click on an entry, only the title field appears - the Vehicle and Driver values are missing. When I try to create a new entry - only the Title field (plus other default Outlook fields) are available.

So: How can one display a value other than Title by default, and how can I display the other columns when looking at the event detail?

Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:17 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I can reproduce the same issue as you and that seems a by design behavior, once a sharepoint calendar list is connected to OutLook, each event created in sharepoint calendar will only show title in the view of calendar. This is the internal mechanism of the synchronization between sharepoint calendar and OutLook calendar, which can only recognize “title” as the value to show in outlook calendar view. Although you can modify current view of sharepoint calendar to show other column (other than “title”) as calendar columns in the view, but this setting may not recognized by OutLook, because the column may not be among the compatible columns of OutLook. So, you need to create workflow to update the “title” column to show content as you like to make it reflected in OutLook.

Regards,

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:23 AM

All replies

• Nothing specifically Collaboration about this.

Moving to Admin

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Hello,

I can reproduce the same issue as you and that seems a by design behavior, once a sharepoint calendar list is connected to OutLook, each event created in sharepoint calendar will only show title in the view of calendar. This is the internal mechanism of the synchronization between sharepoint calendar and OutLook calendar, which can only recognize “title” as the value to show in outlook calendar view. Although you can modify current view of sharepoint calendar to show other column (other than “title”) as calendar columns in the view, but this setting may not recognized by OutLook, because the column may not be among the compatible columns of OutLook. So, you need to create workflow to update the “title” column to show content as you like to make it reflected in OutLook.

Regards,

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:23 AM
  • Quite a bad answer really, and how exactly is one to create a new entry from Outlook? This implementation from Microsoft is very very poor indeed.
    • Proposed as answer by Anonymous7585 Friday, June 19, 2009 11:52 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:48 PM
  • This proposed answer from Xing-Bing Yu is a double-entry - even has same timestamp!
    Friday, September 3, 2010 8:48 AM