none
share request sends wrong, broken url after approval RRS feed

• Question

• I have a scenario where some of my share request confirmation emails contain broken urls.

To reproduce, I do the following:

1. setup a site in /sites/root/main/site1/site2
     2. in site2, I create a folder in one document library and try to share that folder with someone (sharing request must go through approval)
     3. the sharing user will agree to fill-in a message by keeping the checkbox enabled (can either keep the box empty or type something)
     4. upon completion (not approved yet), the destination user receives a perfectly working email
     5. after approval, another email, exactly the same as in 4. is sent again to the destination user, but now, the email contains a bad url

e.g.

first email

**.../sites/root/main/site1/site2/lib/folder....**

second email

**.../sites/root/main/lib/folder....**

suddently site1 and site2 are gone

I don't know is there is anything we can do to actually fix the underlying issue, as I'm pretty sure these emails are composed and sent automatically, but anyway, any help is appreciated.

**edits:**

- permissions are set at /sites/root/main
     - all subsites inherit permissions from /sites/root/main

"The more difficult something became, the more rewardant it was in the end"
    http://ftduarte.blogspot.com

Friday, May 4, 2018 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you tell us how the sharing email sent? Via OOB way or workflow?

If workflow, the issue is caused by incorrect step, please go to workflow and check for steps.

If OOB way, could you provide screenshots about all your steps? I’ll try to test in my environment to see if I can reproduce the same issue.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 7, 2018 10:24 AM
  • ootb emails, no workflows or anything custom.

in fact, it appears that any site that inherits permissions will experience this behavior.

in the second email sent to the destination user, the url is relative to the site that stores the access requests, not the site where the item belongs to

"The more difficult something became, the more rewardant it was in the end"
    http://ftduarte.blogspot.com

Monday, May 7, 2018 10:32 AM
  • Hi,

It's a strange behavior.

Does the second email show correct item?

The expected process is: https://www.schaeflein.net/sharing-content-in-sharepoint-online/

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 9:02 AM
  • Hi.

the sharing functionality i.e. flow is working perfectly.

we receive the requests, we approve them, the user gets access to the item(s).

this is sharepoint server 2013, not office 365, etc.

as I mentioned, two exact emails are sent (to the end-user) when there is approval required, one before and one after the approval is accepted.

the second email is the one that the link is broken

below an extract of both emails

first email, working

hi tiago. please find here the document set with documents

Go to PROCEDURE-YEAR-UNIT-EXPENSEID

second email, not working

hi tiago. please find here the document set with documents

Go to PROCEDURE-YEAR-UNIT-EXPENSEID

the path from the site with custom permissions down to the site where the documents are stored is gone from the second email.

after several tests, it appears that this happens always, not specific to a document or folder or subsite level or relevance of path names (I though it could be a wrong path combine but it doesn't look like it)

• Edited by ftduarte Tuesday, May 8, 2018 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 9:12 AM