none
How can I know the Community sites where I have Joined? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to provide an options to my users in my web app root with a list of community sites They have JOINED exclusively? Is it possible? I have setup more than 200 community sites site collections in fact. Thanks
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no OOB way to achieve your requirement. As a workaround, you need to create a custom solution.

Here are some tips:

SharePoint Search provide a managed property named “MemberOWSUSER”, which contains the Members list items from the community sites. The KQL query MemberOWSUSER:{User.Name} will return the Members list items of the community sites you have joined. You can trim the returned URLs to get the community sites you joined. You can add this query to a Search Web Part and apply a custom Display Template to render the Sites in a better presentation than the default item.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Victoria XiaModerator Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by MC ROY Tuesday, April 16, 2019 10:06 AM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no OOB way to achieve your requirement. As a workaround, you need to create a custom solution.

Here are some tips:

SharePoint Search provide a managed property named “MemberOWSUSER”, which contains the Members list items from the community sites. The KQL query MemberOWSUSER:{User.Name} will return the Members list items of the community sites you have joined. You can trim the returned URLs to get the community sites you joined. You can add this query to a Search Web Part and apply a custom Display Template to render the Sites in a better presentation than the default item.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Victoria XiaModerator Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by MC ROY Tuesday, April 16, 2019 10:06 AM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:11 AM
  • Thanks. Can you suggest a best method to trim the returned URLs to get the community sites names?
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

If you’re using C#, you can split string using String.Split:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228388.aspx

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:14 PM
  • Hi,

sorry split does not meet my need. Because of the following scenario.

Site name : "Human Resources Center"

url: hrc

I should be able to show the site name as "Human Resources Center". so split won't help.

Any other thought!! Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

After you split the URLs to get community sites URLs, you can retrieve community site names based on these community sites URLs.

Then you can display these contents in the page.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:06 PM
  • How could I  retrieve community site names based on these community sites URLs? In display template? I am limited with client code only.
    Sunday, April 2, 2017 1:55 AM
  • any update please? Thanks
    Monday, April 17, 2017 11:11 AM