In Access, Embedded OLE objects don't work properly with Windows 10 version 1703 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently updated my computer to Windows 10 version 1703 and since then embedded objects in Access forms and reports do not display properly (cannot be seen). When Windows is downgraded to its previous version the problem disappears. The problem occurs with Access 2010, Access 2013 and Access 2016 (all 64bit).

To demonstrate the problem do the following:

1) Create a blank Access Desktop Database (Database.accdb).

2) Create a new table (Table1) within the database.

3) Add an AutoNumber field (ID) to Table1

4) Add an OLE Object Field (Document) to Table1.

5) Create a blank form (Form1) within the database and set the Record Source for the form to Table1.

6) Add a Text Box control (ID) to Form1 and set the control's Control Source property to ID.

7) Add a Bound Object Frame (Document) to Form1 and set the control's Control Source property to Document.

8) Open Form1 and add ole objects to Table1 by right-clicking on the Document field and selecting Insert Object.

When a Word or Excel object is added it appears in the Document Frame and additional records can be added using the Record Selectors and Navigation Buttons.

When using the Record Selectors and Navigation Buttons in Form1 to move through all the records in Table1, the embedded objects associated with each record should appear in the Bound Object Frame control (Document). Once Office 10 version 1703 has been installed this no longer happens. The same error occurs for both Excel and Word objects.

Can anyone through some light on the problem? Any help with a solution or work around would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

Saturday, June 17, 2017 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi infrazee,

Based on your description, I can reproduce this problem in my environment Windows 10 version 1703 and Office 2016.

As shown in the following figure:

It seemed that this is an known issue for Access in Windows 10 Version 1073, I suggest you give a feedback for Access in Access user voice forum:

https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application

This is a good way to help users give feedback about Access to Microsoft.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 19, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Same problem (Office 365 64 bit - Win 10 build 1703) and followed your instructions with exact same results. Wrote to MS in UK (no result) so I wrote to Satya Nadella in Redmond and had a MS Support Professional check the problem by remote access to my screen yesterday. There is a fault which he has reported back but could not say when or if it might be resolved (adding that since I do not have PRO I must check these fora in case there is a hotfix or wait for it to be automatically hotfixed for all. Strangely all Forms/Reports in my program (one I have been building for several years) still correctly show word documents in their Bound Object Frame in all Records created prior to 6 July this year (some of which were added after Windows 10 was first downloaded) but none show in Records created after that date (you have to click Edit or Open on the Bound Object Frame on Form which opens the document in Word for it to show in the newest Bound Object Frames). In other words, you can only see the (new) documents in Access Forms/Reports when it is also open in (in this case) Word. I suspect this may be something to do with the first major update of Win 10 which I received at about that time, but I cannot be certain.
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 2:34 PM