none
Can I (Temporarily) have two domain Controllers on the same Domain

Question

• Hello

We're installing a new server at a customers who currently has SBS 2011, to cause minimal disruption we will be running the two machines side by side as we move stuff across.

The servers both have different names but have the same domain name.  All the PCs are set up with Static IP addresses and get DNS from the Old server.  I haven't installed the new Server yet, but when I do will it cause issues when I connect it to the network and turn it on? 

They only really use the server for DNS, Active Directory and mapped network drives.

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• It should not be a problem based on what you told us. You could also ask here about an essentials migration.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=ws16essentials

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 10, 2017 1:49 PM
  • Yep you can do it.

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA
    http://directoryadmin.blogspot.com

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

"If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, November 10, 2017 1:51 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:02 AM
  • Yes it was resolved thanks.

I do have a further question though, there are only 10 users on the system with a very basic AD at the moment, 8 of them are Domain users and 2 Domain Admins, so I have just created 10 new users on the new server (same usernames and passwords), hoping that when I've changed the DNS on the client PCs to the new server when I log in it will still use the same user profile on the client PC.  Although when I log in it loads a new blank profile, and I've got all the local documents to copy across and emails to setup etc. Is there a way of setting it up so when they log on it uses the same local profile on the PC? If that makes sense.

Monday, November 13, 2017 3:48 PM
  • Yes it was resolved thanks.

I do have a further question though, there are only 10 users on the system with a very basic AD at the moment, 8 of them are Domain users and 2 Domain Admins, so I have just created 10 new users on the new server (same usernames and passwords), hoping that when I've changed the DNS on the client PCs to the new server when I log in it will still use the same user profile on the client PC.  Although when I log in it loads a new blank profile, and I've got all the local documents to copy across and emails to setup etc. Is there a way of setting it up so when they log on it uses the same local profile on the PC? If that makes sense.

Since a new topic I'd start a new thread.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 13, 2017 3:52 PM