none
Office Customization Tool Unable to see Network Shares RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to setup the Office Customization Tool to deploy Office Standard 2010 Volume License across our network.  I've gone through the OCT and configured it for the way I want to deploy it, accessing it from my Windows 8 PC.  The network install point is on a Windows Server 2003 Standard Server which I have a drive share mapped through a login script that runs at login.  I can access this share through file explorer with no problems, but when I try to save my OCT configuration MSP file the save as dialog box only shows local drives, not network shares.  What do I need to do in order for the network shares to be visible in the OCT save as dialog box?
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:20 PM

Answers

• Oh I did misunderstand, i thought inside the OCT app you were telling it to grab files from the network shares through the "Additional network sources" option.  Anyway, its still kind of the same then with you not able to see the network.  Your running the tool as Administrator so as a test run CMD at command prompt and now try to change to one of your mapped drives.....it will error out because it runs under a new instance now with the new security settings in Windows Vista/7/8.  You can save it to your desktop and then copy and paste that MSP file.  OR you can run a CMD prompt as administrator and use the "Net use" command to map drives to where you need and then when you run the OCT tool as Admin you'll see your mapped drives.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

• Marked as answer by ChrisDen Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:55 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:31 AM

All replies

• The problem is you probably ran these tool as Admin and the way drives are shown.  Can you access the network shares with the usual UNC path and ignore mapped drives?  That might be the best way to ensure you don't gather errors due to users having something else mapped to "T:" for instance.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:11 PM
  • I think you are misunderstanding the problem.  This is on MY PC, a domain admin.  There is no conflict with drive mappings, the problem is that in the OCT "Save As" dialog box, the only drives that show up are the two partitions on my HDD, and my DVD drive, nothing else.  How am I supposed to save the MSP file to the network if nothing on the network is showing up?
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Oh I did misunderstand, i thought inside the OCT app you were telling it to grab files from the network shares through the "Additional network sources" option.  Anyway, its still kind of the same then with you not able to see the network.  Your running the tool as Administrator so as a test run CMD at command prompt and now try to change to one of your mapped drives.....it will error out because it runs under a new instance now with the new security settings in Windows Vista/7/8.  You can save it to your desktop and then copy and paste that MSP file.  OR you can run a CMD prompt as administrator and use the "Net use" command to map drives to where you need and then when you run the OCT tool as Admin you'll see your mapped drives.

• Marked as answer by ChrisDen Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:55 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:31 AM
  • OK, thank you.

I launched command prompt with admin rights and I lost access to my drive shares.  Closed it out and launched it normal, I have access to my drive shares.  When I run setup.exe /admin from this command prompt the OCT launches with my credentials, instead of the administrator credentials.  This gives me all my drive shares.

When I run setup.exe /admin from the run box it launches it as admin, therefore losing my drive shares.  

Problem solved, thanks again.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:55 PM