none
Deleted printer keeps coming back

Question

• Win7 Pro, an HP Officejet AIO self-installed (plug & play) on USB a few weeks ago.   Then the printer was disconnected to send to an "out of office" employee and a different HP - just a color Officejet printer - was plugged in USB & also self-installed.   The old printer was "deleted" from the "Devices & Printers" but every time the user logs in, the old printer returns like a ghost, its image greyed-out.

I have tried - to no avail - to remove it completely.  I've gone into "print server properties/drivers" and tried o remove the "driver & package" - it fails claiming the AIO is still in use, which of course it isn't.   I saw a post somewhere that said to remove the USB port in Device Mgr - then reboot - that didn't work either.

HP says since it installed plug & play - without their software - they cannot advise what to do.

So what CAN I do to get rid of this ghost?

Thanks.

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:53 PM

Answers

• In your search box type print management or go to control panel, administrative tools, then printer management. All the printers should be listed there under print servers. You should be able to remove  the printer by right clicking and selecting delete and once the printer is removed you can try removing the driver as well.

Regards

~G
    • Marked as answer by BillWCH Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:50 PM
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:59 AM

All replies

• In your search box type print management or go to control panel, administrative tools, then printer management. All the printers should be listed there under print servers. You should be able to remove  the printer by right clicking and selecting delete and once the printer is removed you can try removing the driver as well.

Regards

~G
    • Marked as answer by BillWCH Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:50 PM
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:59 AM
  • I'll try it when I'm there next week.  Thanks.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Be sure the user has set the current printer as the default printer.

Delete\remove the ghost AIO.

Reboot. immediately.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Tried that several times & has not worked.   I'll be trying previous suggestion next week.     Thanks.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Run msconfig and click on the startup tab. Scroll through the entries and see if you can find one related to your old printer.  If so, disable it from starting  by unchecking the box next to it.

Jerry

Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Check the reappearing printer for any jobs in the queue. Mine disappeared after I cancel all pending prints.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Jjinx's suggestion worked for me.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

One possible cause is that you still have print jobs associated to those printers. Delete the jobs and you can delete the printers.

Best Regards,

Alex

• Proposed as answer by harr2969 Friday, September 13, 2013 2:48 PM
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Ok, just how does one "Delete\remove the ghost AIO"?  For that matter, what is a "ghost AIO"?
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:16 AM
  • From that control panel I was able to cancel the active jobs that were holding up the printer from being deleted.  Thanks, it worked great!
    Saturday, November 9, 2013 4:52 PM
  • This worked for me, and thanks Jjinx! In "View devices and printers", right click on the ghost printer and select "See whats printing". Right click on any print jobs in the queue and select "Cancel". This may take a minute or two to clear the queue. You might have to close and reopen the dialog box a time or two to refresh the list. Oncde the queue is empty, you can remove the printer in the normal manner.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:22 PM
  • I believe that Alex has the right idea, but I get "Access Denied" when I try to delete the Queued jobs.  I will try logging into the other user accounts and reattempt.  
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 6:47 PM
  • You definitely have to remove all the print jobs. Problem can be an error on removing them.
    For me the following procedure did work :
    1.stop the print spooler (start "services.msc" in run from the start menu and search for "print spooler" - right click & select stop)
    2.remove the countenance of the map C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS (or similar map)
    3.restart print spooler via "services.msc as explained under 1.
    In my case the print jobs were gone and I could remove the ghost printer.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:19 PM
  • Freaking awesome. Been annoying the cra*p out of me for months now with "ghost printers" that keep re appearing after deleting. Couldn't delete pending print jobs no matter how many times I tried. Always kept coming back after 30 minutes or so. Koenge's fix worked perfect. Hats of to you, I will sleep good tonight :-)
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Thanks JJinx. It worked!!
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 8:44 PM
  • Thanks KoenGe. It worked.
    Friday, May 29, 2015 2:11 AM
  • Thanks man..

You are a live saver..

Thijs

Thursday, July 16, 2015 6:22 AM
  • If you see Access is Denied, then click to Printer on same window and choose "As Administrator", thats what I did and then cleared
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 10:43 AM
  • Thanks, very helpful.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:28 PM
  • Nice work!
    Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:01 AM
  • Excellent!

That was it.

I was unable to delete printers from the print management ... 'Deleting - in queue ...'

Clicked on Printer With Jobs, deleted all jobs pending on printers that I wanted to use, and it all cleared up.

Thanks

Sunday, March 20, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Thanks

This, coupled with alexanderu.mocanu post below, it worked just fine.

Sunday, March 20, 2016 2:21 PM
  • Worked for me, a print job from 2014, could not figure it out. Followed these steps and it resolved the users issue!
    Friday, June 3, 2016 10:37 AM
  • For ghost printers that won't go away - this will work:

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Print Management

Click on All Printers or Printers with Jobs - usually the problem is that the ghost printers you can't delete have stuck print jobs.  Click on the printer you want to remove, then click on More Actions and Cancel Print Jobs.  Now you can delete the printer from here.  Do this for all ghost printers, then reboot - all ghost printers are now gone.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:36 PM
  • This was the fix for me. But swap the word countenance for contents in KoenGe's reply. I spent hours trying to set up a new printer with no luck until I was able to delete the print jobs in TWO different ghost printers. If you have several printers right click on each one in Devices and Printers and make sure there are no print jobs pending. I was not able to cancel the print jobs I had to use KoenGe's method. When I did the two printers were gone!

Thanks KoenGe

Monday, October 24, 2016 10:16 PM
  • A job stuck in the print queue can prevent the printer from being removed even after appearing to be removed. If this is the case it will reappear after a reboot.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 9:15 PM
  • FINALLY!!!  Thank you for your answer.   :)
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:18 PM
  • You definitely have to remove all the print jobs. Problem can be an error on removing them.
    For me the following procedure did work :
    1.stop the print spooler (start "services.msc" in run from the start menu and search for "print spooler" - right click & select stop)
    2.remove the countenance of the map C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS (or similar map)
    3.restart print spooler via "services.msc as explained under 1.
    In my case the print jobs were gone and I could remove the ghost printer.

Worked like a charm for me !
    Tuesday, July 31, 2018 2:49 PM