Exchange 2010 PrepSchema failing


  • I'm having an issue getting Exchange 2010 installed for one of my clients. First a bit about our environment:

    Active Directory was recently extended to 2008 with one 2008 R2 DC running. So we're still in 2003 compatible mode at the domain and forest levels. We have never had Exchange installed here; so this is a brand new install. The Exchange server is in the same AD site as all the FSMO role holders.

    We're installing Exchange 2010 on a Windows Server 2008 R2, Standard edition server just provisioned for this purpose.

    I've done dozens of Exchange installs for other clients. First time I've gotten hung up on extending the schema.

    I tried running the Exchange wizard, but it failed during the "Prepare the Organization" phase. So I tried running the setup.com file from a command prompt. I've tried it from the Exchange server and from the 2008 DC (Schema Master and PDC Emulator). In each case, I get the following error:


    Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server

    Organization Preparation         ......................... FAILED
    The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); install-ExchangeSchema -LdapFileName ($roleInstallPath + "Setup\Data\"+$RoleSchemaPrefix + "schema92.ldf")" was run: "There was an error while running 'ldifde.exe' to import the schema file 'C:\Windows\Temp\ExchangeSetup\Setup\Data\schema92.ldf'. The error code is: 8202. More details can be found in the error file: 'C:\Users\KXknarr\AppData\Local\Temp\ldif.err'".

    The Exchange Server setup operation did not complete. Visit http://support.microsoft.com and enter the Error ID to find more information.

    Exchange Server setup encountered an error.


    The details in the ldif.err file are:


    Entry DN: CN=ms-Exch-Client-Access-Array,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ad,DC=pgcc,DC=edu
    Add error on entry starting on line 730: No Such Attribute

    The server side error is: 0x57 The parameter is incorrect.

    The extended server error is:
    00000057: LdapErr: DSID-0C090C3E, comment: Error in attribute conversion operation, data 0, v1db1

    An error has occurred in the program


    The section of schema92.ldf that it is talking about is:


    dn: CN=ms-Exch-Client-Access-Array,<SchemaContainerDN>
    changetype: ntdsSchemaAdd
    adminDescription: ms-Exch-Client-Access-Array
    adminDisplayName: ms-Exch-Client-Access-Array
    defaultSecurityDescriptor: D:S:
    governsID: 1.2.840.113556.1.5.7000.62.50145
    lDAPDisplayName: msExchClientAccessArray
    name: ms-Exch-Client-Access-Array
    objectCategory: CN=Class-Schema,<SchemaContainerDN>
    objectClass: classSchema
    objectClassCategory: 1
    rDNAttID: cn
    schemaIdGuid:: 6VHo0Om020y1HNHtQ6g2ug==
    subClassOf: top
    auxiliaryClass: msExchBaseClass
    possSuperiors: msExchContainer
    mayContain: legacyExchangeDN
    mayContain: msExchServerSite
    mayContain: networkAddress


    I can't get any further. All other steps are being blocked by this error. Anyone have any suggestions?

    Friday, March 23, 2012 4:52 AM

All replies

  • The first thing I would do is download a fresh copy of Exchange 2010 SP2 from the Microsoft download site, extract and run it again from that. The Service Pack is the complete installation files so will be fine for the installation.


    Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

    • Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, March 26, 2012 2:27 AM
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Ah. I didn't think of that. I'll try that first thing Monday morning.
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Finally had a chance to give this a try. No luck. :( Still fails on the same part of the LDF file import.

    Guess I'm going to have to call MSFT support. Now to figure out when to fit THAT into my schedule. :P

    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:58 AM
  • FYI to Sembee and anyone else following this, turns out there is an AD schema corruption in the client's AD. So far we've been through 3 escalations and 4 different support engineers @ Microsoft without being able to resolve this issue.

    • Proposed as answer by Vikas1x Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Vikas1x Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:08 PM
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:53 PM
  • For Ex2010 setup in Win 2008 R2 (AD server)

    1. Locate the server on your network that is the schema master (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755631(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_CMD)

    3. Put the Exchange 2010 DVD in the schema master.

    4. Drop to command line and change to the DVD Drive/Directory with the Exchange 2010 setup files in it.

    5. Command to run :

    > setup /prepareSchema

    If EX2003 in Network then run:

    > setup /PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions

    Once successful

    > setup /PrepareAD

    (if its the First Exchnage server then the command will fail as won't be able to find any container in the AD)

    So we have to specify the Organization name.

    > setup /PrepareAD /Organizationname:"First Organization"

    Once successful, try the Ex 2010 installation again. It should work.

    Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply.

    So far we've been through 3 levels of escalation and 5 different engineers with Microsoft Product Support. After working with them for 3 weeks, we've been able to get the /PrepareSchema and /PrepareAD commands to finally work. However when we tried to run the full Exchange 2010 setup, it passed the pre-req checks, but them bombed during setup saying that one of the AD objects was malformed. It is back in PSS hands again as they try to discover what the latest error message implies and how to fix it.

    I wish it had been as easy as running /PrepareSchema from the Schema Master. If so, we would have been past this weeks ago. :)

    Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:43 PM