none
SharePoint Anti-Virus recommendations RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'd like to hear which application-level anti-virus products you have found work well with SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2007.

Thanks for your input,

Robert

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:12 PM

All replies

• You really only have one option, ForeFront.  The 2007 version wasn't known for its performance, but the 2010 version which just RTM'd a few days ago (today is 3/25) has a lot simpler interface and is more efficient.  I'm not sure the 2010 version works with SP 2007 though.

Chris

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter
    Friday, March 26, 2010 12:37 AM
  • In the context of SharePoint 2007, there are SharePoint-specific antivirus products available from the following vendors:

• Microsoft (Forefront Security for SharePoint, which Chris already alluded to)
    • Symantec
    • McAfee
    • AVG
    • AvePoint/Trend Micro
    • Sophos

The majority of my experience has been w/ the MS Forefront product. Chris is right, the 2007 edition is a RAM-hungry little beasty, I've usually seen the processes associated with it take at least 800 MB of RAM to run. But its very thorough, I've seen one example where someone did a test with an EICAR file inside an InfoPath form they uploaded to SharePoint; McAfee Portal Shield didn't detect the file but Forefront did.

The recommendation that I've made to customers is that my preference is for Forefront, but that if they have an existing server AV relationship w/ a vendor and want to stay consistent on that platform I can see the technical and business reasons why that might make sense.

I think that Forefront is the only AV product for SharePoint 2010 right now, I didn't see any mention of it on the other vendors' websites...I seem to remember that it took most vendors about a year to get AV products out for SharePoint's 2007 release, so it may take a bit for anything else to hit the market. On the other hand, SharePoint is a heck of a lot more popular now than it was w/ the 2007 release, so that may motivate vendors to get their products out sooner.

I would suggest checking sites like http://SharePointReviews.com for what people are saying about the AV products listed there, and keeping an eye on the Internet for new products as they come out for the 2010 platform.

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Whatever you use, don't forget to exclude certain SharePoint 2010 files from the local antivirus scan or you'll have uploading issues as I did.

http://imperfectit.blogspot.com/2010/09/sharepoint-2010-anitvirus-exclusions.html

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:43 PM