none
PowerPoint 2010 cannot play wmv video created on same pc

Question

• I've been making videos on pc's since 1994 and use wmv most of the time.  I made several wmv videos on my current pc and they play great in windows media player.  But when I try to embed them into my powerpoint 2010 presentation (insert video) I get the following error message:

"PowerPoint cannot insert a video from the selected file.  Verify that the necessary codec for this media is installed and then try again."

Codec must be installed if they play great in windows media player on the same pc.

Tried saving the pptx as pptm and still does not work.  Tried several different wmv videos using different codecs and none of them seem to work.

If I had to guess I'd say this is a bug with 2010.

Does anyone know what codecs work (exactly what ones tried a bunch of 9 and 9.1 codecs already for screen and full motion, music and voice) or how to reregister powerpoint so it works?  Any updates that might fix this?

RandyH

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Here is a support article that may help. It also gives recommendations on how to encode the video until Microsoft fixes the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982954/en-gb

-- David Hankins
    • Proposed as answer by David Hankins Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:42 PM
  • I spent 1:15 waiting and then 35min on the phone with a member of the Microsoft Power Point team.

1. All videos must be in the .wmv format.  Not asf or mpg or flv. Converter programs can be found on download.com.

2. All powerpoint files must be saved in the 2010 format. Go to the file tab and then convert.  It will not erase the old version, but create a new 2010 version of the power point file.

3. Using the insert tab, you can insert a video file into the 2010 power point.  In addition, the video file will be saved into the power point file and you need not have it in the same folder.

I converted all of my powerpoints to 2010 and now the work great.

L. Ingram

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Interesting, but I just spent a half hour doing exactly this procedure and still PPT 2010 freezes when trying to do ANYTHING with a video clip (everything in WMV format). No message, nothing, just frozen.

Hope to hear of a solution soon, as I just bought Office 2010 so I could use the functionality of PPT 2010 to produce DVD's for the family from my slideshows.

Extremely disappointed:-(

Monday, April 11, 2011 5:49 AM
  •  I spent DAYS trying to do this and converted my files to every type of WMV possible.  MS says FLVs work.  Ha! They don't.  I even used Microsofts media encoder to do the encoding and THIS doesn't work.  So it is definitely a bug in PP 2010, a piece of crap as a result.  I've put in maybe 8 hours just trying to embed ONE video.  Ironically when I was using PP 2003/07 this was NEVER an issue.  Now my project is delayed.  Not even native AVI works. Nothing nothing nothing.  I have about 25-30 versions of the same 5 second clip which ALL play in Windows Media, AVS media and Realplayer, but they will NOT play in PP2010.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:26 PM
  • FYI - Insert the video file into a slide. I used a WMV formatted video. Select the video and then set "animation" option to play by "clicking" or whatever other options you select as a playback option. Make sure that no "triggers" are on in the animation pane or it won't play it all. When I removed the triggers I was able to get it to play when I clicked in the sequence order that I wanted. I hope that this update helps someone out.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 7:52 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with ppt2010 as you did, and nothing helps, even removing the triggers;

the trickiest thing is, I wanted to insert 6 wmv format videos, 2 of them work, the others don't, the 6 videos are of the same size, codec and format,   it's driving me craaaaaaaaaaaazy!!!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Virtually same problem except Iam trying with MPEG files - they play fine in Windows Media Player but get same `codec' comment in PP2010. I have tried using new computer with Windows 7 etc and in older one running Vista (yes I know but at least it is a test in this case..)

Please can someone solve? Is there really no way round the problem - if not then what is the purpose of PP2010????

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:14 AM
  • I am having this problem as well on a Windows 7 operating system and a brand new Lenovo T520.  I can add a couple of twists to what has already been posted.  I originally had a trial version of Office Professional 2010 installed and the embedded videos worked great.  I then purchased an Office Pro 2010 license key and installed a fresh, paid image of the software .  At this point I lost the ability to embed .wmv files and have been trying to fix it off and on for months.  I have uninstalled all previous versions re-downloaded a fresh image, reinstalled again and still no functionality.  I don't get an error message it just freezes and has to be killed via Task Manager.  I have also gone down the codec route. All of my windows updates have been installed automatically and are current (I now suspect this might be part of the problem).  I have re-downloaded and converted to .wmv all the videos that worked with the trial version of 2010.  I also think it may have something to do with the links.  I am unable to manage the video links through the "link"  functionality as I should be able to.  Trying to break an existing link in the interface designed for this also results in a hung program.  As stated previously, I bought 2010 specifically for the graphic and media improvements in powerpoint and am satisfied with everything else about the suite.  This, however is killing me and not being able to hold Microsoft directly responsible for fixing this issue without paying for additional support is unacceptable.  Please help!

JB

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:01 PM
  • had exactly the same issue... turns out, you have to uninstall Corel WinDVD if you have it in your PC... after that, I started getting the damned "PowerPoint cannot insert a video from the selected file.  Verify that the necessary codec for this media is installed and then try again" message...

But still... is an improvement...

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:24 PM
  • I have a T420... uninstall WinDVD... it solves the freezing problem but I bet you will start getting the "PowerPoint cannot insert a video from the selected file.  Verify that the necessary codec for this media is installed and then try again" message... I'm going nuts with this issue...
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:27 PM
  • I realize that this is a whole 1-1/2 years later and "we" still have the same problem with PPT 2010.  However, your advice led me to save a PPT 2010 (.pptx) file into a PPT 2007 (.ppt) file and I was able to embed a video clip.  I haven't explored this too much as of yet, but it works.  Yes, I realize that saving into 2007 negates a bunch of the beneifts of what we-all paid for 2010, but it's a workaround at least.

I actually thought re-imaging my hard drive would do the trick, but I'm glad I found your feedback before I did something as drastic as that.

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Thanks.  This suggestion helped me overcome this problem -- somewhat.  Now, I can link to the video clips and they will play without stopping.  However, now the colours are distorted; all of the people have blue faces!  It's pathetic that Microsoft has STILL not fixed this problem when it has existed for so long. I will revert to Windows XP-Pro and Office 2007. 
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:19 AM