none
Question about Recycling Bins in SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm fairly new to SharePoint 2013, I just need some clarification on a certain topic. So when a user deletes an item it goes to the recycling bin, and in this recycling bin it only shows what that user deleted correct? Now how does the quota that automatically empties the recycling bin go by amount of data that is stored in the bin, or does it go by how old it is? So if the recycling bin is emptied via user or hits the quota it goes to a second recycling bin that only the administrator can view correct? This second recycling bin does not have a quota, so how much will it keep, should there be a quota on this secondary bin? If there is a quota and it deletes from the second bin how do I go about retrieving a single document? Every night I back up using what is in the picture, but I was reading that you cant restore  a single document without having to roll back the entire site to the day that contains the file. I'm not sure if this is correct, ANY clarification is greatly appreciated!

Reif, Christopher

Monday, January 11, 2016 7:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Reif ,

Answer for your questions.

Now how does the quota that automatically empties the recycling bin go by amount of data that is stored in the bin, or does it go by how old it is?

ANS : Items remain in the second-stage Recycle Bin until a specified time period has been reached (the default setting is 30 days) or until the second-stage Recycle Bin reaches its size limit, at which time the oldest items are deleted. The time limit for the Recycle Bins applies to the total time after the item was initially deleted — not the time spent in either Recycle Bin stage.

So if the recycling bin is emptied via user or hits the quota it goes to a second recycling bin that only the administrator can view correct? YES 

This second recycling bin does not have a quota, so how much will it keep, should there be a quota on this secondary bin? 
    ANS : When a second-stage Recycle Bin is enabled for a Web application, it is recommend that you designate how much disk space is available to the second-stage Recycle Bin as a percentage of the quota allotted to the Web application. Items stored in the second-stage Recycle Bin do not count toward the site quota; however, the size that is specified for the second-stage Recycle Bin increases the total size of the site and the content database that hosts it. If no site quota has been set, there is no limit on the size of the second-stage Recycle Bin.For example, if you have allotted 100 megabytes (MB) of space for the Web application, allotting a 50 percent quota for the second-stage Recycle Bin allots 50 MB for the second-stage Recycle Bin and 150 MB for the Web application as a whole. You can allot up to 100 percent for the second-stage Recycle Bin quota.

If there is a quota and it deletes from the second bin how do I go about retrieving a single document -

ANS : No you cannot recover it if the data is deleted from there. As you have mentioned you have to restore the backup of that day.

Sivabalan

• Proposed as answer by ViviSP Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by c_reif1994 Friday, January 15, 2016 8:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Reif ,

Answer for your questions.

Now how does the quota that automatically empties the recycling bin go by amount of data that is stored in the bin, or does it go by how old it is?

ANS : Items remain in the second-stage Recycle Bin until a specified time period has been reached (the default setting is 30 days) or until the second-stage Recycle Bin reaches its size limit, at which time the oldest items are deleted. The time limit for the Recycle Bins applies to the total time after the item was initially deleted — not the time spent in either Recycle Bin stage.

So if the recycling bin is emptied via user or hits the quota it goes to a second recycling bin that only the administrator can view correct? YES 

This second recycling bin does not have a quota, so how much will it keep, should there be a quota on this secondary bin? 
    ANS : When a second-stage Recycle Bin is enabled for a Web application, it is recommend that you designate how much disk space is available to the second-stage Recycle Bin as a percentage of the quota allotted to the Web application. Items stored in the second-stage Recycle Bin do not count toward the site quota; however, the size that is specified for the second-stage Recycle Bin increases the total size of the site and the content database that hosts it. If no site quota has been set, there is no limit on the size of the second-stage Recycle Bin.For example, if you have allotted 100 megabytes (MB) of space for the Web application, allotting a 50 percent quota for the second-stage Recycle Bin allots 50 MB for the second-stage Recycle Bin and 150 MB for the Web application as a whole. You can allot up to 100 percent for the second-stage Recycle Bin quota.

If there is a quota and it deletes from the second bin how do I go about retrieving a single document -

ANS : No you cannot recover it if the data is deleted from there. As you have mentioned you have to restore the backup of that day.

Sivabalan

• Proposed as answer by ViviSP Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by c_reif1994 Friday, January 15, 2016 8:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:28 PM
  • Thank you so much for answering my questions!!! You were so much help!!!

Reif, Christopher

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:34 PM
  • Hi Reif,

I am glad that the issue has been resolved.

If you think Sivabalan’s answer is helpful, please mark it as answer to close this case. It will help other users who meet the same issue in this forum.

Thanks,

Linda Zhang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:13 AM