none
Visio 2016 loading problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have a huge Visio 2016 loading performance problem.

I have the task to convert our huge base of Visio diagrams with Code for live telemetry access. Before, all these diagrams were running on Visio 2010 and loading times, for the bigger one's were up to 1min, which was commonly accepted by our users.

After converting these *.vsd diagrams to *.vsdm format (just by loading and storing with Visio 2016), the loading time increases now dramatically.

The smaller files take now 55sec instead of 18sec to load (still kind of acceptable), but the bigger files to load increased from ~1min to 65min (yes, over one hour). Once loaded they seem to work correctly, even on 4K screens.

Also closing these bigger files (max. 25MB) takes much more time, up to a minute. The title bar often shows "Not responding".

I realized that the file size reduced by half, which is good.

We have made tests on many different physical and virtual machines, same result. What is the problem here with Visio 2016 ? Is there any way to improve this bad behavior ?

My workstation is a Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB with 24GB of RAM and a powerful Intel Xeon processor.

Many, many thanks for any feedback.

Thomas

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

What detailed version of Visio 2016 are you using? Please update it to the latest version to have a check.

You can click File > Options > Add-ins and disable all unwanted add-ins. You can also click File > Options > Advanced > check the option "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" under "Dispaly" group. In addition, please perform an hardware driver upgrade to have a check.

You can follow the method in the article Reduce the size of a Visio file. Check if the issue could be fixed after reducing file sizes.

You can log in the computer with other Windows user accounts. Check for the issue.

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:59 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! 

Herb

Friday, July 5, 2019 1:13 AM