none
OneNote 2010 - Crashing after 5-10 seconds after opening, every single time.

Question

• Playing around trying to get use OneNote.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but this seems to be the most un-user friendly system in regards to how and where it saves. I've got a headache from just trying to figure how and where it saves to SkyDrive, whether it's shared or anything... I mean, why is this so confusing?? Why does it list full paths for the SkyDrive location and everything appears to be public by default? Just make it 100%  transparent to the user, prompt "Do you want to use your WL credentials to save and synch your notebooks?" and that be  it. Not this convoluted  mess that is the open/management of Notebooks. Not to mention there's an IOS app for OneNote, but when I open it, sign in with my WL credentials I can't find anywhere the notebooks that I work on between PCs and that are meant to be stored on my SkyDrive, they just don't exist on my iPhone at all

Now onto my actual issue.

Every time I open OneNote 2010 it crashes, after approx 5-10 seconds. Deleted the cache file under my user profile, still does it. No explanation, just comes up with "OneNote has stopped working" and closes. No Error or more information or anything. This is a fresh install, I have like 3 notebooks created each with a few lines of text and one with some images from snipping tool.

Know what,  it, it's 3am, I've been around trying to make this just  work for 2 hours. It's nothing but garbage and the developer should be ashamed that this mess exists. Makes me embarrassed that I'm a MCITP when MS pumps out rubbish like this that does nothing but frustrates me. Not to rant on but MS just dont get it at all. Biggest example I've found, not related but anyway. Was testing out Windows 8... Came to shut it down, couldnt for the life of me find the shutdown... Asked another guy in the office to look... Couldnt find it either. Asked 6 different people to see if they could in the office, NONE COULD. Had to Google how to shut it down... Now hand someone a iPhone and ask them to turn it off.... MS just don't get any of this at all. MAKE IT JUST WORK AND SIMPLE. Why is a program designed to just make notes and sync them if required so complicated and buggy???

• Edited by David Wolters Friday, September 30, 2011 2:04 PM This is an IT PROFESSIONAL site. even rants need to be proper language
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:28 PM

Answers

• Can you follow the directions here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/descapa/archive/2009/06/24/how-to-get-a-watson-bucket-on-windows-7.aspx

and send me the "bucket number" via my blog?  There is an email link on my blog page at http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin.  Or you can post it here.

And if you could click File | Help and get the version number of OneNote from the right column I may be able to figure out what update Windows is suggesting to install.

Sorry for all the problems,
    John

John Guin [msft]
    OneNote Test Team
    http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin
    • Edited by John Guin Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by William Zhou CHN Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:56 AM
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:46 PM

All replies

• So I delete all my notebooks out of SkyDrive. Delete the cache file in my user profile again,  delete everything within \OneNoteOfflineCache_Files and then it opens ok.

So I create a new Notebook, set the location as Web (Logged into WL). It creates... Then about 5 seconds later crashes... and it now crashing after 5-10 seconds of opening again.

Cache file in my user profile - having been deleted - is now at 20mb. Despite me only having one blank empty notebook that total 0kb on Skydrive???

Oh and now Windows 7 has advised me via the Action Centre to "Address a problem with Microsoft Office system software". Great!

I cant copy and paste from the info the Action Centre gives, because if you paste info in a table into this form, you can't get below the text, and are hence stuck typing within the copied table - MS shit. So after copying to and from notepad cos MS are just and can't do what my iPhone can do:

Address a problem with Microsoft Office system software

Microsoft Office system software has stopped working properly.

An update is available that solves many of the problems customers have reported, and it might address this problem.

Below that is a button that says "Click to get the Microsoft Office system software update from Microsoft Update".

I click that button and I get a page that just says:

Use your Start menu to check for updates

Windows Update is included in Control Panel. In the future, to check for updates (or if this webpage doesn’t open Windows Update automatically):

Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

My Windows Update has only 1 available update - Malicious Software Removal for whatever the latest month is. Nothing else. Set to auto, not updates missed or skipped.

Seriously are MS just with me or something? Why in would that come up in the action centre and just link to that "update via control panel blah blah blah" when CLEARLY THERES A PROBLEM?? Why would it say "An update is available that solves many of the problems customers have reported, and it might address this problem." If there ISNT A UPDATE AVAILABLE THAT COULD FIX IT>??????

• Edited by David Wolters Friday, September 30, 2011 2:06 PM Again, fixing language.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Can you follow the directions here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/descapa/archive/2009/06/24/how-to-get-a-watson-bucket-on-windows-7.aspx

and send me the "bucket number" via my blog?  There is an email link on my blog page at http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin.  Or you can post it here.

And if you could click File | Help and get the version number of OneNote from the right column I may be able to figure out what update Windows is suggesting to install.

Sorry for all the problems,
    John

John Guin [msft]
    OneNote Test Team
    http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin
    • Edited by John Guin Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by William Zhou CHN Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:56 AM
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:46 PM
  • John, was this ever solved. I am experiencing the exact same thing. The only thing that fixes it is to clear the cache. But this only works until the next time I connect to skydrive.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:20 PM
  • I'm having the same kinds of issues!  Had learned, over the years, never to buy anything from Microsoft that ends in .0 (Point O)....

But hasn't OneNote been out and about for quite a while?

Is this really the kind of publicity they want?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:12 AM