none
PowerShell and network share files and migratrion RRS feed

• Question

• So I saw some posts, found this https://spbulkdocumentimport.codeplex.com/ that works fantastic for importing files and keeping time/date stamps. There is a reference on the user names for the created by / modified by but not sure I am getting what to do here. Has anyone done this where they migrated a ton of files from a network share into SP using this tool (or others) that keeps the folder structure and file metadata (most important is date/time stamp and user information for created by / modified by).

Any discussion on this is greatly appreciated!

~KZ

Friday, July 17, 2015 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hmmm. When you add a file to SharePoint it will create its own timestamp. But you should be able to pass the LastWriteTime field from the file and add it to the create field.

I'd have to test this but in the long run you could hide columns and create new ones to populate with the LastWriteTime

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

Monday, July 20, 2015 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hmmm. When you add a file to SharePoint it will create its own timestamp. But you should be able to pass the LastWriteTime field from the file and add it to the create field.

I'd have to test this but in the long run you could hide columns and create new ones to populate with the LastWriteTime

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

Monday, July 20, 2015 7:55 AM
  • I have modified the same tool to maintain same folder structure and timestamp. 

Regards,
    Rupesh Singh
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Please don't forget to mark it as answered, if your problem resolved or helpful.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 2:20 PM
  • Hi - I know it is has been a while but I am not able to get this to work - what did you have to do to modify the tool?
    Monday, September 21, 2015 6:16 PM
  • So, my experience is that if you copy a file in the file system the created date will be when you copied the file, but the modified date will be when the file was last modified--meaning in the file system the modified date is often before the created date. However, SharePoint has a constraint against modified date being prior to the created date, so when copying from the file system, you can run into issues with this constraint if you are trying to copy metadata directly. You need to make sure that your modified date is after your created date, or add logic to your import script to set the modified date for now if it precedes the created date.

Lance

Monday, September 21, 2015 6:25 PM