none
SharePoint Designer - Cascading Lookup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I hope this post finds you well.

I have been working with SharePoint for a number of years however my skillset is fairly limited to Front End SharePoint administration and more on the Infrastructure side of SharePoint.

The requirement is as followed:

I need to create a Cascading Lookup field using SharePoint Designer/JavaScript (or any other method recommended by you guys).  The scenario is as followed:

• I have created a Custom List called "Annex". This holds information in the "Title" column
    • I have created another Custom List called "Sub Audit List". This list has two columns named "Title" and "Annex". The "Annex" column displays data based on a lookup on the "Title" column in the "Annex" list. So far so good.

On the NewForm.aspx page, I am wanting to develop a form within SharePoint Designer 2010 that will work as described below:

1. User clicks on the first drop down menu named "Annex".  This will display all data in the list.

2. User then clicks the second drop down menu named "Sub Audit". This will look at what was selected in the "Annex" drop down menu and only show related items. i.e. If A5 was selected in Annex, Sub Audit dropdown will display all child items that has parent A5 from the Sub Audit list.

I really am looking for a step by step guide on how to acomplish this.  I have looked at various javascript methods but none of them seem to work. It's possible that I'm doing this incorrectly so would appreciate a guide on where to click, where to place .js files, what coding to use, where to put this code etc. 

My organisation is using SharePoint 2010 Standard - therefore the use of InfoPath is not licensed so was wondering whether you guys knew of a way through SharePoint designer, JavaScript or any other method to help me achieve the functionality that I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Sanjay

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:11 AM

Answers

All replies