none
How to create permissions to create new document libraries RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to give a collection of users permissions to create new document libraries but not full designer permissions for a specific site.

Ideally they would only get the permission to add a document library and not delete it. This means that creating a permission level with the Manage Lists permission may not be suitable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Darren

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Darren

You need to create “Add Permission Policy Level” and then assign that into one Group. Add the users in the group.

Check below URL for more detail

Managing Your Web Applications by Applying User Policies and Custom Permission Levels

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:32 AM
  • Thanks for responding so quickly.

That's helpful but how do I create a Permissions Policy level that allows the creation of Document Libraries only and not also give the permission to delete them?

The Manage Lists permission gives additional permissions such as delete lists and create or remove columns. I was looking for something a little more fine grained (i.e. the level of granularity you get for individual items but on Library/List creation would be great).

If it isn't possible that is fine, just so long as I know not to waste any more time trying to figure it out.

Thanks again.

Darren

Monday, June 10, 2013 11:17 AM
  • I don't think that does exist as a permission level: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721640(v=office.14).aspx

The permissions available vary depending on the type of the object that they are to be applied to, by the looks of things Sites don't provide that sort of option.

You could achieve the effect using an event reciever. If you were to add an event to the deleting event (I can't remember which one is the Synchronous option) then you can check to see if the user is of the appropriate group and block the deletion event. This link: http://www.sharepointfix.com/2011/07/sharepoint-2010-list-item-event.html has the code for an item level reciever but lists should also work without too much trouble.

Monday, June 10, 2013 11:58 AM
  • OK, thanks for that information Alex.

I'll play around with the event receiver idea but at least I know for now that there isn't a more fine grained option out of the box and that I hadn't missed something.

Thanks again.

Darren

Monday, June 10, 2013 12:12 PM
  • You can see the list of permission option on the “Add Permission Policy Level” page, as par the option we can’t restrict the delete document library permission alone. It will restrict all adding and updating lists or document libraries. Also you don’t need to search more, check “Add Permission Policy Level” page, there only the option for varies permission management.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.

Monday, June 10, 2013 12:17 PM