none
On-premises GAL not visible to migrated mailboxes in Hybrid Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have started a phased migration to Hybrid Exchange/Office 365 and noticed a few problems. The main one is that when I move a mailbox from on-premises to Office 365, it completes OK and the user can access the mailbox from Outlook. However, they can only see the other users on Office 365, they cannot see the local Global Address List. Mail sent to local mailboxes fails saying the mailbox couldn't be found. It seems to only look at the Office 365 address list, not the on-premises one.

I'm using Centralized Mail Transport with Exchange Classic Hybrid Topology. For Azure AD I'm using Password Hash Sync and I've ticked the box for Exchange Hybrid Deployment Azure AD Connect.

Any ideas on what I might have missed?

Thanks,

Pat Rooney

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 6:21 PM

Answers

• There are no sync errors in the AADConnect Health, and all the users, groups, etc from the local AD are visible. I don't know what you mean exporting a full sync to Office 365, so I guess the answer is no to that. Can you clarify this please.

The AADConnect sync needs to export the results to 365. Is it doing that?

Open the AADConnect Synchronization Manager on the AADConnect server and under the operations tab make sure it exporting to your azure tenant.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/how-to-connect-sync-change-the-configuration

If it is, how long ago did you start this migration? Do you see the full GAL via OWA or if Outlook is using an Online profile?

• Marked as answer by Pat Rooney1 Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have started a phased migration to Hybrid Exchange/Office 365 and noticed a few problems. The main one is that when I move a mailbox from on-premises to Office 365, it completes OK and the user can access the mailbox from Outlook. However, they can only see the other users on Office 365, they cannot see the local Global Address List. Mail sent to local mailboxes fails saying the mailbox couldn't be found. It seems to only look at the Office 365 address list, not the on-premises one.

I'm using Centralized Mail Transport with Exchange Classic Hybrid Topology. For Azure AD I'm using Password Hash Sync and I've ticked the box for Exchange Hybrid Deployment Azure AD Connect.

Any ideas on what I might have missed?

Thanks,

Pat Rooney

Are the AADConnect sycns completing?Did you do a full sync already and it exported successfully to Office 365?

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 6:33 PM
  • There are no sync errors in the AADConnect Health, and all the users, groups, etc from the local AD are visible. I don't know what you mean exporting a full sync to Office 365, so I guess the answer is no to that. Can you clarify this please.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:16 PM

The AADConnect sync needs to export the results to 365. Is it doing that?

Open the AADConnect Synchronization Manager on the AADConnect server and under the operations tab make sure it exporting to your azure tenant.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/how-to-connect-sync-change-the-configuration

If it is, how long ago did you start this migration? Do you see the full GAL via OWA or if Outlook is using an Online profile?

• Marked as answer by Pat Rooney1 Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:21 PM
  • Thanks, I realized that it was the userPrincipalName attribute in Active Directory which was set to domain.local. I cloned a couple of existing rules to change this, and it seems to be working.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:34 PM
  • Hi Pat,

It's great that you get useful information from the reply above. Here is a brief summary about this issue.

Issue Symptom:

When I move a mailbox from on-premises to Office 365, it completes OK and the user can access the mailbox from Outlook.

However, they can only see the other users on Office 365, they cannot see the local Global Address List. Mail sent to local mailboxes fails saying the mailbox couldn't be found. It seems to only look at the Office 365 address list, not the on-premises one.

Cause:

The userPrincipalName attribute in Active Directory was not set correctly. 

Solution:

Cloned a couple of existing rules to change this, and it seems to be working.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 5:30 AM