none
Unable to open Office files from a network share after server issue RRS feed

• Question

• Opening Excel, Word or Power Point files from a network share comes up with "Sorry, we could not open file "G:\\filesname". This happened after we shutdown the server where the share is located due to server issues. The error does not happen to all users, only some. The file can be open by those who have the issue by copying the files to another share or locally. I have tried the following:

Checking file permissions (This does not work, it seems like this is the issue, but I can tell for sure, because the permissions look right, but trying to change permissions comes back with errors)

Detaching the share and re-attaching it.

Copying the file to the same share gives me the same problem on the new file.

Friday, July 7, 2017 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hi rhuijonp,

Do this problem only appear in Office files?

Do you use Offiline options to sync files to local computer from server?

>>This happened after we shutdown the server where the share is located due to server issues. The error does not happen to all users, only some.<< If you don't use Offline option, do you mean after shutdowning server and restarting server you cannot open files any more?

Normally if you access the files are stored on a shared folder in server, when you shutdown server without any options to sync files to local computer you cannot access these files any more.

Any updates please let me know, I'm glad to help you.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 10, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Hello;

Sorry, I forgot about this. Usually I get notified when there is an answer to a question I posted, this time I did not. 

I have not resolved my issue. No Offline Sync options. I have about 35 people (clients) on my domain, this issue occurs to only 3 of us, 2 Windows 7 clients, 1  Windows 10. 

We are all using Office Home and Business 2013. Cleaning the cache on the client computers did not help. The server was rebooted kind on an emergency, it is a virtual server running on VMWare 5.5, the Windows version is Windows Server 2012 (This virtual server contains the share were the files are stored). 

I understand it is not easy to help with this info, but I have tried different things and nothing works, permissions are the same as for the rest of the files, and other people can open them. Again, the only way I can fix this is copying the files to a local drive. Also, files created after the issue are ok to open by anyone. 

Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:16 PM