none
incremental vs full RRS feed

• Question

• when do we use full synchronize user profile and when we use incremental? is there any good explanation of the process?
    • Changed type Clayton Cobb Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:05 AM Always use the Question Type
    Friday, January 28, 2011 10:16 PM

Answers

• but if i run the incremental synchro, won't it update her name? how incremental gets new people records but doesnt update the older records?

Incrementals don't just get new users - they get all profile changes.  There is more info than you could ever want on TechNet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff182925.aspx

"Recurring Profile Synchronization is incremental; that is, only changed profile information will be synchronized."

Incrementals will get new users and profile changes of existing users.  The guidance on TechNet says to do a Full before you deploy and then do recurring after you deploy, and recurring profile syncs are only incrementals.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Proposed as answer by Ivan Sanders Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:13 AM
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:25 AM

All replies

• Well, I was going to respond, but wasn't able to lay my hands quikcly on the definitive answer for SP 2010.  So I'm going to rely on what I remember from SP 2007.

I'm pretty sure that Incremental is going to look only for new records to pull in.  So if you have incrementals scheduled every night, you'll be able to catch new employees, instances in which an entire record didn't exist previously.

Then the full synch is going to grab all records, all fields.  So if you had a user whose name is changed in AD on Tuesday, and your full synchro doesn't run until the weekend, her name won't get updated in SP until the following week. 

The reason for incremental versus full has to do with the amount of bandwidth and resources consumed to do the synch.  If you are in a small environment and a full happens in just a few minutes, then nightly could work for you. 

Lady_M MCTS WSS 3.0, MOSS 2007
    Friday, January 28, 2011 11:35 PM
  • but if i run the incremental synchro, won't it update her name? how incremental gets new people records but doesnt update the older records?
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:56 AM

Incrementals don't just get new users - they get all profile changes.  There is more info than you could ever want on TechNet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff182925.aspx

"Recurring Profile Synchronization is incremental; that is, only changed profile information will be synchronized."

Incrementals will get new users and profile changes of existing users.  The guidance on TechNet says to do a Full before you deploy and then do recurring after you deploy, and recurring profile syncs are only incrementals.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Proposed as answer by Ivan Sanders Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:13 AM
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:25 AM