none
Sharepoint 2013, Word/Excel and KB3055034 RRS feed

• Question

• Starting last Wednesday after computers & servers received the latest updates from MS, we began to have problems opening Word 2010 & Excel 2010 documents from our SharePoint site (2013).  The users would be asked multiple times to login but then the Word/Excel application would crash.  After some analysis, we figured out that KB3055034 was the culprit so we have now had users remove that update and "hide" it so it won't be reinstalled.  But this is just a Band-Aid. 

I have found a few other posts on the Web detailing the exact problem and fix/Band-Aid but no one has a real answer yet about why this is happening and what MS will do to fix it.

Anyone here have any ideas about why this is happening and/or what should be my next steps?  Thanks in advance.  Carol. 

Monday, October 19, 2015 3:38 PM

Answers

• Yesterday I heard from my MS Support person that this is now a known issue that has been kicked up to Office 2010 support to work on.  No ETA on a fix but when an update is ready, anyone with a ticket will get an e-mail about the update.

Good luck to anyone else experiencing this problem!  Carol.

• Marked as answer by cpnc Friday, October 23, 2015 3:02 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi cpnc,

From your description, When users opening Office files from SharePoint it crashes post
    providing credentials -Issue started after applying KB3055034.

I searched from the internet and find it is a known issue that many user has met.

In the current, the approach is to uninstall the updates.

Perhaps next update will fix the issue.

Similar issue posts for your reference:

https://support.smartvault.com/04Support/01Knowledge_Base/KB3055034_-_Uninstall_update_for_Office_2010_causing_Word_or_Excel_to_crash_when_opening_Word_or_Excel_files_from_the_SmartVault_Drive

http://superuser.com/questions/986693/excel-2010-crashes-when-opening-files-from-sharepoint-office-365

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:39 AM
  • Thanks Lisa. I saw some of those same posts and I've opened a ticket with Microsoft. Hopefully they will figure out another "fix" soon.  Carol.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:20 PM
  • Next steps would be to remove the patch. Users on reddit reported the same thing, and removal of the hotfix resolved the issue.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Hi, can I please get the incident number?  I would like to log a ticket with Premier Support and reference yours.

• Edited by nzdudeinsydney Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:51 PM Carol has the PSS incident, not Lisa.. aorry Carol!
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 9:12 AM
  • I'm the one with the ticket to MS.  I see two reference #'s.  There is REG:115101913279510 and an "SR number" which is 115101913279510.  Take your pick.  Please let me know your ticket # so I can reference yours back...maybe we'll get the Support folks to talk with each other.  :-)  Thanks.  Carol.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:10 PM
  • Will do, thanks!.  will log it in about 3 hours
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:52 PM
  • Our case with PSS is 115102213291164, logged yesterday. 
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:36 PM
  • Yesterday I heard from my MS Support person that this is now a known issue that has been kicked up to Office 2010 support to work on.  No ETA on a fix but when an update is ready, anyone with a ticket will get an e-mail about the update.

Good luck to anyone else experiencing this problem!  Carol.

• Marked as answer by cpnc Friday, October 23, 2015 3:02 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 3:02 PM
  • Hi guys, I uninstalled the update but the workstations who already had them now have an issue with MICROSOFT UPLOAD CENTER and trying to save docs from office products like Excel or Word. We are having an continue error of SIGN IN and we cant save docs directly from office to SharePoint.

How can disable UPLOAD CENTER and save docs directly in SharePoint until Microsoft fix this.

Thanks

Monday, October 26, 2015 10:13 PM
  • I don't think I can answer your question but we are having the same problem of not being able to save SharePoint documents that we open from SharePoint BACK to SharePoint. I never even thought the two could be related.

Sorry I can't help more but I'll let you know if I hear anything.  Carol.

Monday, October 26, 2015 11:20 PM
  • Has anyone who has a ticket open gotten an ETA or any more information about this? 

Uninstalling the two updates below fixes the problem, but we have people outside our network who connect to our SharePoint site.

Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB3055034) 32- Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB3054886) 32- Bit Edition  

Thanks,

Sue

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:04 PM
  • No ETA but I'll post something here when I do hear something.  Carol.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:14 PM
  • For Office/SharePoint related updates, you'll typically see a couple month turn around for a resolution.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:22 PM
  • Since we're beyond the mainstream support window for Office 2010, is there any chance they won't be fixing this?  I'm trying to decide whether to wait this out or work with our desktop administrator to roll back the patches (he's understandably reluctant).  Thanks.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:22 PM
  • That is a great question. My assumption is that since it is a bug that is causing a crash, it will be fixed.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:23 PM
  • Thanks, Trevor.  My hope is that, and because it's in conjunction with a current product (SharePoint 2013), that they'll fix it.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:37 PM
  • For those that have submitted tickets to Microsoft, has any ETA been provided on a fix?  
    Monday, November 2, 2015 4:01 PM
  • Nope. Nothing yet. Carol.
    Monday, November 2, 2015 4:27 PM
  • I am having this same issue and curious if there have been any updates? 

Thank You

Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:51 PM
  • According to the Microsoft Premier Support technician assigned to our case, a final fix will be coming out with the December updates. We've been offered a private hotfix to test in a non-production environment to validate that it fixes the issue.  Like everyone else here, we'll have to wait until December 8th to fix this issue fully.

When applying the newly-released November updates, be sure to test https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3101521 thoroughly for this issue, as it also updates mso.dll - presumably to a version lower than that containing the fix.

mso.dll in 3055034: 14.0.7159.5000 (dated 5 September)

mso.dll in 3101521: 14.0.7162.5000 (dated 14 October)

(will post the version in the fix once I get into work)

• Proposed as answer by Jon_Cheek Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jon_Cheek Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:03 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:49 PM
  • mso.dll in 3015656: 14.0.7163.5000 (final version due to be released in December)

This would mean that the problem would be re-introduced if you deploy 3101521.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:57 PM
  •  Yes the problem is re-introduced, what are they doing here, forcing us to migrate to Google Doc's ....

Best part is telling our folks to uninstall from their Windows 10 home PC's is fruitless because in their (MS) infinite wisdom, home users can't defer updates so it keeps re-installing & breaking....

If you're going to force down updates, they better be right & tight... Not this...

They already re-issued a November patch too, obviously quality control & proper testing are not being adhered to.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Wait until you get on Windows 10 where there is only one cumulative security update released per month  - take it or leave it. 

Microsoft released this patch in November with this problem that they knew about in October.  Once we are on this One Cumulative Patch for Windows 10, there will be no option than to just live with what breaks until Microsoft issues a fix or live without any security patches for two or three months.

If Microsoft would like to continue to offer Cumulative updates for their products they must up the quality of their patches and respond with more agility to reported problems.  It is really intolerable that the bug found and acknowledged in October reappears in a November cumulative release.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:07 PM
  • According to the Microsoft Premier Support technician assigned to our case, a final fix will be coming out with the December updates. We've been offered a private hotfix to test in a non-production environment to validate that it fixes the issue.  Like everyone else here, we'll have to wait until December 8th to fix this issue fully.

When applying the newly-released November updates, be sure to test https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3101521 thoroughly for this issue, as it also updates mso.dll - presumably to a version lower than that containing the fix.

mso.dll in 3055034: 14.0.7159.5000 (dated 5 September)

mso.dll in 3101521: 14.0.7162.5000 (dated 14 October)

(will post the version in the fix once I get into work)

nzdudeinsydney post was a huge help in resolving this issue for my organization.

Removing the KB3101521 hotfix that is a "Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010" did the trick for us. Thanks to nzdudeinsydney for point out that the build of this hotfix originated off the bad build of the KB3055034 hotfix. My college's and I have ran through a couple of tests with the newest applied hotfixes that Microsoft has given through Windows Updates and the removal of the above 2 KB's has not shown any negative side effects of reverting back to the pre KB3055034 build for the MSO.dll.

• Proposed as answer by Jon_Cheek Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:46 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:45 PM
  • The patches in the December 2015 Patch Tuesday fixed the functionality that was broken by KB3055034.  Many thanks to everyone who provided input and created tickets to encourage Microsoft to fix this issue!
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:53 PM
  • Hi, Which particular December patch corrected the issue? It looked like MS15-131 should have been the one, but on my test machine, that one came up as not applicable.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:26 PM
  • We have tested KB3114399, which is supposed to address this issue.  We can confirm that we no longer get a Word crash when opening files from SharePoint 2013.

mso.dll in 3114399: 14.0.7163.5000 (dated 31 October 2015)

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:26 PM
  • Two years later and multiple generations of Office and Windows later we still have this issue? Now it's Visio 2016 on Windows 10 and SharePoint Online (part of Office 365). Com'on, seriously?
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:29 PM