none
Exchange 2010: Server cannot Bcc in a rule? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi --

On an Outlook 2016 client connecting to Exchange 2010, I set up a rule for incoming email that included the clause "Have server reply using ...". In the message box that opened when I configured this clause, I added a To: recipient, a Bcc: recipient, a Subject: line an a short message body. 

When I tried to save this message, I got the error "One or more rules could not be uploaded to Exchange server and have been deactivated. This could be because some of the parameters are not supported or there is insufficient space to store all your rules."

The "insufficient space" claim was investigated and discarded as a cause for this error.

When I edited the rule to remove the Bcc: clause, the rule was saved and activated without further problem. I know that at least some of it is working (the part where the incoming message is moved to another folder). but without that Bcc: clause I can't verify that the outbound message is indeed going out.

Why is a Bcc: recipient not allowed? (And if it isn't allowed, why does the template I'm given to fill out include a Bcc: line?)

Thanks

CL

Monday, November 6, 2017 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Chuck,

I tried to test with an Office 365 account (Exchange Online) in Outlook 2016, the BCC field didn't cause any issue and the rule ran perfectly. 

But when testing with an Exchange 2010 account by typing a recipient in the BCC field of the message template. The same issue can be reproduced on both Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2010:

Based on the above tests, it means to me the issue may be related to certain limitation in the Exchange 2010 sever side.

I found this official article which mentions that "This behavior occurs if the rules that are in your mailbox exceed the rules quota established for your mailbox." But as here we mainly focus on general issues about Office desktop clients and I am not familiar with Exchange sever, I'd like to encourage you post a new thread to the following dedicated Exchange forum to confirm if BCC field is the culprit and whether there is any specific limit for this sever side rule:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=exchange2010

Hope you can find the above information helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:15 AM