none
Office Files Will Not Open If Located On A Network Folder

Question

• I have installed Office 2010 Professional on a Windows XP SP3 machine. This workstation is a domain member on a SBS 2003 network. My previous version of Office was 2003. When I attempt to open an Excel file that resides in the MyDocuments folder (which on my SBS 2003 network is re-directed to my server) I get a message from Excel saying "Could not open" with the file name/location following. This happens on files that were originally created with Excel 2003 as well as files created with Excel 2010. I can save a new file created with Excel 2010 to the network but am not able to open it back up again after closing it. If I go into Windows Explorer and move any Excel file to my C:\ drive I am able to open both 2003 and 2010 Excel files with no problem. This seems to be related to where the file is located but the settings in Excel 2010 that I tried to adjust did not make it possible for me to open them when they were located on a network drive. What can I do to resolve this to allow me to open files on network (LAN) drives?

After doing some more research I have discovered that when logging on with another User account on the same workstation I am able to open files normally with Excel 2010 that reside on the network. This user actually has less permissions than the problem user account. I currently have just this one workstation with Office 2010 installed so I'm not able to test to see if it is related to the user profile on the workstation.

Any suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Teel Network
    Monday, January 10, 2011 5:58 PM

Answers

• After spending time today working on a solution for the Office 2010 problem of not opening files on my domain user account network folders I thought I would catch up on the steps that I have taken so others reading here could possibility benefit. I still haven't narrowed down a specific cause but I am confident that it is related to my specific user account settings whether that be Group Policy settings or some other unusual setting on my account that the Office 2010 applications are being affected by. As I mentioned earlier I had attempted to open files on network shares up when being logged on with other domain accounts and had no problem. Today I decided to set up a new user on the server with base permissions and move some of my files into the new user My Documents folder. The few files that I moved to the new My Documents user folder (which is being re-directed to the server share too) opened successfully. Another note when opening Office files that I noticed when doing this test with other users that have been established for a few years now, when opening Office 2010 files with the new user account the Office splash screen had animation on it before opening the Excel and Word files. I'm convinced that there is some correlation there but I honestly don't know what.

I will continue working on this and post my results when I get some.

Thanks.
    Jeff

Teel Network
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:11 AM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

You mention that you reproduced the issue with files in the MyDocuments folder that was redirected.  Does it happen with other folders(not involving redirection) when you are out browsing on your network server?

Here are some additional steps we can take to get too the root of the problem:

- What the full error message is exactly how it shows.
    - With the error message up press and hold Cntrl + Shift and press I.  Post the number that shows in the lower right corner after doing this.
    - What is the folder size of your MyDocuments?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
    Chad

Chad Mathiason
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Hi Chad,

The error happens on a regular network folder as well as the re-directed MyDocuments folder

The message that comes up when trying to open Office files with the Office 2010 application reads:
    Could Not Open "W:\Book1.xlsx"

If I am attempting to open an Office file from the re-directed MyDocuments folder I get the same error of
    Could Not Open \\ServerName\UserShares\myusername\My Documents\Book1.xlsx

700468 is the number that shows in the lower right corner after the error is displayed and the size of the MyDocuments folder is 3.3GB.

Since it is only happening to my user account I looked over my Group Policy settings to make sure that there was not something that I missed there and didn't come up with anything. One other thing that I noticed that may or may not be revelevent, when I start one of the Office 2010 applications whiled logged into the problem account there is no animation of the Excel/Word splash screen while the applications are starting. When logged in with a user account that is not affected the splash screens are animated. I hope that was described clearly! It may not mean anything but I thought is was unusual and I have been looking for anything that might be even just a little different between my user account and the users that are not affected.

Thanks for responding Chad and have a good evening.

Jeff

Teel Network
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the information.  Here are some additional things to try:

- With all Excel workbooks closed, open the registry editor and go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\ and rename Excel to Excel.old.  Launch Excel.  You should see the splash screen.  Test.

- Ensure that this user's effective permissions has Read, Write, and Delete to the location you are accessing.

- Remove all add-ins via the add-in manager in Excel | Options or by following the steps outlined in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;280504

I have some other things that could be tried but if other users are not experiencing the same issue with the same files in the same network folders on the same machine they are probably unnecessary.

Best Regards,
    Chad

Chad Mathiason
    Friday, January 14, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Hi Chad,

I went through your reply and made the checks/changes that you suggested. So I changed the Reg setting for the Excel registry key and afterwards opened Excel. Excel opened and I could see the Office splash screen but there was still no animation, just the still Office 2010 graphic with no animation. I checked the folder permissions for the affected user (Me) and they are as follows:

1.  My Username with all Permission Options Checked

2.  Administrators with all Permission Options Checked

3.  Creator Owner with all Permission Options Checked

4.  Domain Admins with all Permission Options Checked

5.  Folder Operators with all Permission Options Checked

6.  System with all Permission Options Checked 

I also removed the add ins that were active. I'm still getting the same error message as well as the same error number. I also checked the processes that run when other users are logged on compared to when I'm logged on thinking maybe something might be causing Office to not be able to see the share folders. Everything was the same for all users of the affected machine. I also logged on locally to the machine and saved a file made in Office Excel to the My Documents folder (which isn't re-directed for local accounts) and was able to open the file again.

I have worked on the problem workstation most of the evening and just can't come up with a resolution. I appreciate the suggestions you gave Chad. Hopefully we can find the cause! I'm ready to put this behind me and move on to actually getting to use the new applications!

Thanks,
    Jeff

Teel Network
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 3:16 AM
  • After spending time today working on a solution for the Office 2010 problem of not opening files on my domain user account network folders I thought I would catch up on the steps that I have taken so others reading here could possibility benefit. I still haven't narrowed down a specific cause but I am confident that it is related to my specific user account settings whether that be Group Policy settings or some other unusual setting on my account that the Office 2010 applications are being affected by. As I mentioned earlier I had attempted to open files on network shares up when being logged on with other domain accounts and had no problem. Today I decided to set up a new user on the server with base permissions and move some of my files into the new user My Documents folder. The few files that I moved to the new My Documents user folder (which is being re-directed to the server share too) opened successfully. Another note when opening Office files that I noticed when doing this test with other users that have been established for a few years now, when opening Office 2010 files with the new user account the Office splash screen had animation on it before opening the Excel and Word files. I'm convinced that there is some correlation there but I honestly don't know what.

I will continue working on this and post my results when I get some.

Thanks.
    Jeff

Teel Network
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:11 AM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Good evening any progress on ths issue ? as i have a bunch of users who are having the same problem and can t found any solutons at the moment

thanks for your help

kindest regards

Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:57 PM
  • I resolved the issue with my domain connected laptop by setting up a new user account on the server. I origionally had my user account set with admin permissions and the other user accounts on my domain had only user permissions. Since the only account I was having problems being able to access network shares was my admin account I set my new user account up with straight user permissions and have not had any problems accessing network shares for my new user My Document folder or any other network share that I had before. Again this was just with the Office 2010 Applications and not with any other programs that would access the same shares. They still worked fine even with my old user account.

Out of curiousity, is your problem with an account that has admin privlages and does it include network share access? Also, did your problem also come up after installing Office 2010?

Thanks
    Jeff

Teel Network
    Monday, January 24, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Does anyone have a confirmed solution for this "Could not open \\server\shared\user " ?
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:27 PM
  • I can't find any one else with this issue. For me it is Office2010 PowerPoint, as 2003 works fine. Smaller files, 50megs or less, have no issue. Large files, 100 megs or more, almost always have the issue. The rest is hit and miss.  It is almost as if it is timing out and just says "could not open" file path.  I have tried REGedits (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\CryptoSignMenu) as suggested by Microsoft, and GPedits but still no dice.  Domain Admins, and users alike.  If you copy to a local dive, it works fine.
    Office is up to date too. I am willing to try anything.

Monday, January 27, 2014 8:27 PM