none
Document Sets to organize attachments RRS feed

• Question

• In my research, it looks like Document Sets might solve an issue I have in my application.  I need to group 4 documents into a package.  I do not see the option and am wondering why no one uses it?  Any ideas?  TIA!

David L. Crooks

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:04 PM

Answers

• There are a number of ways you could "group" documents.

• Create a library for them
    • Create a folder for them
    • Create a document set content type add a document set
    • Create a ZIP file with the documents

Each of the above is a valid option, so the question is what is special about the group? Security? All for work for that. Need to share common metadata? Then consider a document set. Need to move them around as a set? Use a ZIP file.

Advantages of a Document Set:

• At a minimum they serve as a folder.
    • Document Sets in SP 2013 can also contain folders.
    • Can have metadata that is shared with, or inherited by, the files stored in the Document Set.
    • Can have a customized “home page” that displays the metadata. (The home page can also be customized by developers.)
    • Can have a preloaded content. Example: every new project needs a budget Excel file, two PowerPoint files and five Word documents

An out of the box document set is kind of useless. You will typically enable the Document Set feature and then create a new Content Type that inherits from the out of the box Document Set Content Type. In that Content Type you configure a range of features like those listed above. You would then use the New dropdown in the Library ribbon to create the new document set / folder.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

• Marked as answer by davidlcrooks Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:12 PM

All replies

• Document Sets are enabled at the site collection level (not the site level) by activating a site collection feature called (appropriately) "Document Sets". Activating this feature makes the Document Set content type available on all subsites within the site collection. Your best bet is to a create a new content type that inherits from Document Set, then add that content type into the desired library.

Note that Document Sets is a feature available only in SharePoint Server 2010, not SharePoint Foundation 2010. If you cannot find a site collection feature called Document Sets, you may be running SharePoint Foundation.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:54 PM
  • There are a number of ways you could "group" documents.

• Create a library for them
    • Create a folder for them
    • Create a document set content type add a document set
    • Create a ZIP file with the documents

Each of the above is a valid option, so the question is what is special about the group? Security? All for work for that. Need to share common metadata? Then consider a document set. Need to move them around as a set? Use a ZIP file.

Advantages of a Document Set:

• At a minimum they serve as a folder.
    • Document Sets in SP 2013 can also contain folders.
    • Can have metadata that is shared with, or inherited by, the files stored in the Document Set.
    • Can have a customized “home page” that displays the metadata. (The home page can also be customized by developers.)
    • Can have a preloaded content. Example: every new project needs a budget Excel file, two PowerPoint files and five Word documents

An out of the box document set is kind of useless. You will typically enable the Document Set feature and then create a new Content Type that inherits from the out of the box Document Set Content Type. In that Content Type you configure a range of features like those listed above. You would then use the New dropdown in the Library ribbon to create the new document set / folder.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

• Marked as answer by davidlcrooks Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Thanks Mike!  That is the type of information I was looking for regarding Document sets.

I do not need the preloaded content, so I will look into the other options.

Thanks!

David L. Crooks

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:16 PM