none
Exchange 2007 - Missing log file RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Exchange 2007 server, that doesn't want to run a complete backup for al long time now, because the consistency check failed. 

I have search on internet for a solution, and found the following:

1. Type eseutil /ml e00 we are looking for any missing logs (if none missing go on to step 9)
      1. if there are any we have to move all subsequent logs. and the e00 log to another location, rename the last log to e00.log
      2. Example we have logs E00021-E00035 and E00033 is missing, remove E00, E00034 and E00035

I have run eseutil, that gives the error that log E0000009BF2.log is missing.
    Now I have logs from E000000A000.log to E0000010999.log. Does it mean that I have te remove every log file starting from E0000009BF3.log to E0000010999.log and E00.log? 

I want to now this for sure, because it means that I have te delete 7477 log files.

Also, before starting to check each log file, eseutil gives the error: Acces to source database 'E00' failed with Jet error -1811. But I think that's because the exchange datase is located on another disk (D: instead of C:)

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:58 PM

Answers

• So your best thing to do then would be to;

1. Temporarily switch to circular logging.  As part of the process the database will be dismounted and almost all the logs will be deleted and then the DB will be remounted

2. Turn circular logging off.  Once again DB will be dismounted and then remounted.

3. Now run a full backup and all should be well http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331968%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

ALTERNATELY: You can

1. dismount the DB manually which will force all uncommitted logs to be committed and the DB will be in a clean shutdown state.

2. MOVE all the logs to an different location so that you can back them up as flat files later and then delete to clear up space

3. Mount the DB

4> Run a full backup and upon success you are back in  happy place

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

• Proposed as answer by Sukh828 Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexwel Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:23 AM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:11 PM

All replies

• Unless you can find a copy of that log, yes you would have to abandon everything ( all logs) from that point on.  Check to see if your spam product quarantined the log
    • The 1811 error means the DB could not be found.  If you have spaces in the path you need to wrap the string with double quotes " "  For example "c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\Mailbox1.edb"

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:56 PM
  • - I can't find the log anywhere. The removing of the log files doesn't have any influence on the data stored in exchange?

- I don't have given eseutil any path, I only used the command 'eseutil /k E00'. What is the correct command if I want to included the database on the other disk?

Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:24 PM
  • What is the current status, i.e. is the server running, databases mounted and mail flowing?

Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:56 PM
  • Yes, server is running, database mounted and mail is flowing. I only dismount the database for a short time when I run the checksum option with eseutil.
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:00 PM
  • So your best thing to do then would be to;

1. Temporarily switch to circular logging.  As part of the process the database will be dismounted and almost all the logs will be deleted and then the DB will be remounted

2. Turn circular logging off.  Once again DB will be dismounted and then remounted.

3. Now run a full backup and all should be well http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331968%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

ALTERNATELY: You can

1. dismount the DB manually which will force all uncommitted logs to be committed and the DB will be in a clean shutdown state.

2. MOVE all the logs to an different location so that you can back them up as flat files later and then delete to clear up space

3. Mount the DB

4> Run a full backup and upon success you are back in  happy place

• Proposed as answer by Sukh828 Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexwel Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:23 AM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:11 PM
  • That worked, thanks for your help!
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:03 AM
  • Awesome, glad I could help and have a great weekend

Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Great weekend to you to
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:24 AM
  • I got another problem now: After a problem with installing updates, my backup schedule is gone in Windows Backup.

I tried to make a new schedule, but after Windows Backup has formatted the backup disk, and tries to make the backup schedule, it gives the following error:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

When I close this error message, it doesn't has created the schedule, so it won't make backups.

Can you help me with this problem to?

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:52 PM
  • Hmm, well I have not personally experienced that error, but a quick search turned up these possibilities

BTW Before doing anything if there are still patches and updates to apply at the OS level I would get them done 100% first, then test the backup and if it still fails try the above

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:08 PM