none
Storage Pool not listed all physical disks stuck in "Starting" RRS feed

• Question

• I swapped motherboards and my storage space was listed there (Some disks offline) didn't try and use it.

Did a reset of windows (That didn't reset anything).

Rebooted into windows no storage space listed in the ui or Get-VirtualDisk.

All drives listed in device manager but not disk manager. Get-PhysicalDisk yields:

FriendlyName               SerialNumber         CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage            Size
    ------------               ------------         ------- ----------------- ------------ -----            ----
    WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0       W -DCW1C0T180355     False   Starting          Unknown      Unknown       2.73 TB
    ST3000DM001-1CH166         W1F4425B             False   Starting          Unknown      Unknown       2.73 TB
    WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0       WD-WCC1T0815338      False   Starting          Unknown      Unknown       2.73 TB
    WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0       WD-WCAWZ0808067      False   Starting          Unknown      Unknown       2.73 TB
    ST3000DM001-1ER166         Z5005NAB             False   Starting          Unknown      Unknown       2.73 TB
    WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0       WD-WCC1T0875478      False   Starting          Unknown      Unknown       2.73 TB
    ST3000DM001-1CH166         W1F42DE9             False   Starting          Unknown      Unknown       2.73 TB
    WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0       WD-WCC1T0764305      False   Starting          Unknown      Unknown       2.73 TB
    WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0       WD-WCC1T0875885      False   Starting          Unknown      Unknown       2.73 TB
    SAMSUNG MZVLV128HCGR-00000 0000_0000_0000_0000. False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select 119.24 GB

All the member disks are stuck in a "Starting" state. I used ReclaiMe Storage Spaces Recovery and it sees 3? good spaces with varying sizes.

Is there anything I can do to recover the space without building a new array and copying over the data with ReclaiMe?

Jesse Foltz

Sunday, March 26, 2017 12:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Jesse Foltz,

I'm afraid you may need to retire the disk. And replace the bad disks.

Please refer to the thread discussed before for more details

http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfuller/archive/2015/07/02/fixing-a-degraded-virtual-disk-in-a-storage-pool-with-a-drive-configured-as-a-hot-spare/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Which disk all 9 are in the starting state. I don't think any of the drives are hot spares. I am able to pull any data off the drives with ReclaiMe. I'm backing up all the data now. I don't see any virtual disk listed and all the drives are stuck in "starting" status.

Is there a better way to see what the error might be?

Jesse Foltz

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Based on my knowledge, with the build-in feature, could only check about the event viewer or run the Get-PhysicalDisk to identify the disk status. For the current scenario, there seems to be something wrong with the disk. If you need to do further check for the disks, you may consult the disk vendors.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:18 AM
  • Did you ever get this resolved without data loss? I think I'm seeing the same issue for the very first time ever. Thx, much obliged.
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 10:19 PM
  • I had the same issue.

My "mistake" was, to

1. have a dual boot "playaround" System with Windows 10 Insider Preview and Windows Server 2016 and
    2. boot Windows 10....

After rebooting into Windows Server 2016, physical disks are only in device Manager. The physical disks were not shown up in Server Manager or disk Management.

With powershell get-physicaldisk all missings disks were in Operational Status "Starting".

My "solution" was to Inplace Update the Windows 2016 Server to the Windows Server 2019 LTSC Preview from Spring 2018.

Now Server can read them again, Storage Pool is back again and the vdisks just needed to be brought online from offline mode.

It Looks like, Windows 10 wrote something onto the physical disks, that was not covered from Server 2016.

So this error is very rare because nobody would do such things in production. :)
    Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:19 AM
  • Hi Peter

I managed to replicate the error, by restoring WSE2016 system drive using WIN10 bootable usb.

As I needed only to get to boot trouble-shooter and select system backup from external drive.

To my surprise, storage spaces pool was gone and all the drives are in starting mode.

I will try to in place update server to WS2019 and then restore back to WSE2016.

if this is the last solution, I will try it. Honestly I ran out of options. I have no means of getting the data back

Saturday, October 19, 2019 11:02 AM
  • Hi zulu at al,

All my storage spaces drives are in starting as well and I am stuck in the same sort of situation.

Frankly, I am quite disappointed that no one from Microsoft has stepped up to help out with these issues, as storage spaces and ReFS is promoted as being a safe choice for storing important data.

I am currently short somewhere around 3.5 TBs worth of files, which are on a pool of disks stuck in starting.

All of the recovery suites available including ReclaiME has failed, but I haven't given up on my stuff yet.

You will hear from me if I find a way, currently I am hoping for the 1909 as a potential saviour.

Cheers

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:52 PM