none
Internal Email hops to other server even though mailboxes on same server RRS feed

• Question

• We have to Exchange 2016 servers. One (call it Srv1) is for the users of our small company (about 20 users) and the 2nd (Srv2) holds our public folders and public folder mailboxes, some of the public folders are mail enabled.

Not always, but I've notice this in the internal email:

Users 1 sends User 2, both on Srv1
    Mail then hops to Srv2
    Then back to Srv1 for delivery.

Obviously not a big deal, especially for a small organization, but seems like "inefficient" behavior by the exchange system.

Is there anything that can be done to encourage Exchange not to do this?  

Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:00 PM

Answers

• That is actually by design for redundancy during message transport. Off the top of my head, I don't think it can be modified.

Byron Wright (http://fieldnotes.conexion.ca)

Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:23 PM
  • If the servers are in the same AD site ( or same DAG), that is treated as the transport boundary, i.e. meaning any server in the boundary is eligible to handle the message, whether its the local one or requires another hop.

In 2007/2010, you could control which transport servers were used with the SubmissionServerOverrideList  for a mailbox role. That is no longer the case in 2013.  I would recommend not disabling shadow redundancy and just let Exchange do its thing.

Blog:    Twitter:   

Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:07 PM

All replies