none
DR planning for Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have 2 CAS server and 2 DAG members in primary site,and a CAS and DAG server in DR site both CAS and mailbox role installed on same serverin DR.

At the primary site the the CAS server are installed in NLB as described below.
    CAS01.abc.com
    CAS02.abc.com
    load balacning name for both this CAS server is outlook.abc.com all outlook users are connecting to outlook.abc.com

the CAS server in DR is not a member of NLB.

i want to know in case of primary site failure ,how do i route all the users to the DR CAS and Mailbox server .

The DR server is also a memebr of DAG but CAS is not part of the NLB.

These are all exchange server 2013.

Regards

Abu

Abubakar Mirasa Dubai,UAE Dubai, Microsoft Specalist

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:47 PM

Answers

• Hi SysGuy,

Thank you for your question.

If the DAG member include the mailbox server which is in DR site, it means the DAG has 3 members (2 members in primary site and 1 member in DR site). If that, then DAG will not be failover. Because there are at least 2 members which is online if DAG is failover(if you have 3 nodes in DAG members) even though the outlook connect to Exchange CAS server which is in DR site.

However, as you said, you will activate database manually. For internal user, the outlook client will connect to Exchange CAS server when they could not connect to NLB; for external user, we should change MX to point to DR site.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 26, 2015 8:06 AM

All replies

• Read up and test DataCenter Switchovers and all that is involved: ( Including enabling DAC mode on the DAG)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351049(v=exchg.150).aspx

Document the heck out of it and test.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:24 PM
  • Dear David,

We have planned for manual failover not automatic, my question in this case what are the changes i need to make as per my design.

i found one more point that the DAG and CAS in the DR are two separate servers sorry for the mistake i said that its installed on same server ,i can activate the database in the DR DAG member,just want to know how to route clients to the DR CAS server

• Edited by ITSysGuy Wednesday, October 21, 2015 9:41 AM more info
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:49 AM
  • Hi SysGuy,

Thank you for your question.

If the DAG member include the mailbox server which is in DR site, it means the DAG has 3 members (2 members in primary site and 1 member in DR site). If that, then DAG will not be failover. Because there are at least 2 members which is online if DAG is failover(if you have 3 nodes in DAG members) even though the outlook connect to Exchange CAS server which is in DR site.

However, as you said, you will activate database manually. For internal user, the outlook client will connect to Exchange CAS server when they could not connect to NLB; for external user, we should change MX to point to DR site.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Monday, October 26, 2015 8:06 AM
  • Dear Jim,

it means the DAG has 3 members (2 members in primary site and 1 member in DR site). If that, then DAG will not be failover. Because there are at least 2 members which is online if DAG is failover(if you have 3 nodes in DAG members) even though the outlook connect to Exchange CAS server which is in DR site.

I will manually activate the database in the DR site ,we are not looking for automatic failover in this case will thid design of 2 DAG members  in primary site and one in DR will work?

Abubakar Mirasa Dubai,UAE Dubai, Microsoft Specalist

Monday, October 26, 2015 11:15 AM
  • Hi SysGuy,

If you didn’t look for automatic failover, this design could work. You are right.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:15 AM
  • In simple terms, as part of your manual failover you update outlook.abc.com to point to the server in the DR site instead of the NLB. Note that you won't be able to simply move the database, but will need to use Stop-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup and Restore-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 7:48 PM
  • Hi Abu,

I can see you have already got many advice from experts.

You might like to have a look into my DR documents here.

http://msexchangeguru.com/2012/10/25/exchange-2010-dag-dr/

http://msexchangeguru.com/2012/10/30/exchange-2010-dag-dr2/

I always recommend to build a DR with the help of professional. We can't really see the issues which you may have in your environment and may required some additional configurations.

Regards, Prabhat Nigam XHG and AD Architect and DR Expert Website: msexchangeguru.com 

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:33 PM