none
Adding a new field to the custom list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

There is a list with serveral predefined fields. The records in the list are converted by SharePoint receiver and are sent to the WebService. Could I add a new field to the list and be sure that this field would be correctly affected by a new receiver "DLL" (manually installed into the GAC)? Or maybe it would be wiser to add new field to the list and after that just install a new "WSP" package?
    Anyway, what I'd need finally is a deployment script that could apply a patch in incremental way. E.g. a manual DLL-hacking is not very welcome.

Thanks

VBA, C# Developer
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:42 AM

Answers

• You can deploy new List Definitions (List Templates) and Content Types through a solution pack, but it won't apply any changes to existing lists.

If you want to update lists in your current environment then you should either just make the changes through the UI (preferably using a custom Content Type) or write some kind of application that would loop through your site collection content and make the appropriate changes.

As for your DLL .. well, I would imagine that you would need to update the code, recompile and deploy to the sharepoint farm (best to use a solution pack to achieve that bit).
    regards
    Martin Hatch
    MCPD .Net Web Development
    MCTS WSS 3.0 | MOSS 2007
    Visit my Blog
    • Marked as answer by Mezhick Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:38 AM