none
New version 16.9 (180116) of Office 2016 for Mac is a total NIGHTMARE!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I am in a business environment where we have 40 Apple workstations running Office for Mac 2016 (O365 business subscription) and since computers auto updated to latest version 16.9 (180116) of Office 2016 for Mac, everything is turning into a nightmare. So far, we discovered several NEW issues we never had before :

- Outlook 16.9 (180116) is very unstable, I often have the BBOD (beach ball of death) and I have to force-quit it and loose unsaved message. Something that NEVER happened a single time with prior version like 15.41 for the past several years.

- Excel 16.9 (180116) crash (unexpectedly quit and error reporting) when we try to print some existing documents we are carrying for a while. This NEVER happened a single time before. I have to manually roll back Excel version (and disable updates) of SEVERAL computers for this reason because these existing documents are business criticals for daily operations.

- Word 16.9 (180116) mess up most of our Avery label template files (existing DOCX with some content) we use daily and apparently, some very old Avery label template as been removed from this new version, so we have remaining stock of label, but built-in template is gone if we try to start a new documents from scratch. I also have to roll back version  on a few computer where people print a lot of label with it.

Overall, from my IT manager perspective, this is the worst upgrade I ever see. Did other people noticed all these flaws? I am pretty sure I'll discover some more in the next few days...

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 4:45 PM

All replies

• After installing 18011602 I immediately had problems printing to pdf from Excel which I do extensively.  I have not tried other Office apps.

I immediately knew there were problems after the update as simply choosing the print command causes a long beach ball, then choosing print to pdf results in another lengthy beach ball.  Then the pdf is created but with flaws including imprecise type appearance and odd 'borders' around images.

I reverted to the previous version and the problems were instantly resolved.  There are obviously big printing issues with this update.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:27 PM
  • After installing 18011602 I immediately had problems printing to pdf from Excel which I do extensively.  I have not tried other Office apps.

I immediately knew there were problems after the update as simply choosing the print command causes a long beach ball, then choosing print to pdf results in another lengthy beach ball.  Then the pdf is created but with flaws including imprecise type appearance and odd 'borders' around images.

I reverted to the previous version and the problems were instantly resolved.  There are obviously big printing issues with this update.

Thank you Dave for you quick answer, I appreciate that you confirm that I don't have isolated issues. In my case my entire Excel crashed and it was on a physical HP business laser printer, I don't even tried on a PDF since we can't succeed on a physical printer. In fact the Word issue I also reported where all our corporate templates are messed up (wrong alignment, wrong margin, etc.) are also related to the printing in Ms-Office.
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:31 PM
  • I have also had similar problems with the new Word 16.9 update. It is very unstable in the following ways:

1. Often crashes

2. Tables can no longer be manipulated without looking extremely strange

3. Fonts such as Helvetica Neue Light, Thin, UltraLight etc do not work

4. It is difficult to close Headers and Footers

All in all, it is a very disappointing update and I hope they release a fix very soon. Having to use Apple Pages for some things now!

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:05 PM
  • Definitely problems with display and printing. For example

1) Documents with charts placed within word boxes. Previous version views and prints normally. With v16.9 the charts appear as placeholders, although hovering mouse over the chart reveals the presence of data points, axis, etc. Zooming in or out enables the chart to be viewed normally. However, when printing the document the charts are not printed. Charts also missing when saved to PDF. Colleague in U.K. using latest PC version has same experience except he can save to PDF okay; going directly to print still leaves out the charts. This suggests the problem(s) are not entirely Mac-specific.

2) Odd format behavior with objects. I have objects filled solid white with drop shadows. Choose No Fill and the shadow disappears even though the Shadow parameters remain in place. 

Haven't taken time to discover more. Already a productivity killer. Going now to see if I can successfully downgrade.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:35 PM
  • Haven't taken time to discover more. Already a productivity killer. Going now to see if I can successfully downgrade.

Previous version can be downloaded easily from MS website here :

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/update-history-for-office-2016-for-mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7

Only problem is that you can't downgrade Outlook because it upgrade the DB and make it not downgradable, but you can downgrade all other app easily.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that there are some issues caused by Office for Mac version 16.9 update. Currently, I suggest you can follow the article below to revert to Office 2016 for Mac 15.xx versions from 16.xx:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-go-back-to-office-2016-for-mac-15-xx-versions-from-16-xx-e88ed6c8-6fb4-40a1-9540-529000d3d20f

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by KK in LA Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KK in LA Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:45 PM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 9:49 AM
  • I can't print from word.  That is very inconvenient but the worst of it is I share my subscription with my 90 year old father who has similar problems which he attributed to senility!  I felt awful having taken a perfectly good word processing solution from a 90 year and replaced it with something that Just Doesn't Work
    Saturday, January 27, 2018 2:14 PM
  • At this time, my problems have been only with Outlook but that is because I haven't tried the others. All my email groups are gone. It is very unstable and crashes multiple times in a day. You can always tell a crash is coming because of the beachball that portends the threat. You can't search in one folder, no matter how small or big without the search being automatically for the whole mailbox. This is very discouraging.

Sunday, January 28, 2018 6:43 PM
  • After updating to 16.9.0 (18011602) Outlook is useless. If I enter "Online Archive" all messages are downloaded from the server and it takes 5-7 hours (my Archive is 40GB - limit is 50GB). "Sync Status" is in permanent use!

After restarting Outlook and entering "Online Archive" it is downloading all again. My computer's free disc space changed from 90GB to 50GB. There has to be some bug...

I reverted to 15.41 and everything is fine now.

Monday, January 29, 2018 12:45 PM
  • I would like to add that last Friday I spend several minutes to print a US10 enveloppe from Word 16.9 (Mac) and never succeed! Word crashed... I put my sender address correctly in the field, but when I print it's missing on the enveloppe. Or worst is the address is off-center a lot... since I had several enveloppe to print this day, I finally rolled back the version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote to 15.41. Since my DB updated in Outlook, I am still using version 16.9 but experiencing several BBOD, crashing or operation that never result. I'll probably give up soon and just trash my Outlook profile and start again from scratch in the 15.41 version :-(

I had to rollback several computer in the company last week, it's a total nightmare for a IT manager with you have lot of MAC in the network and people a unable to work anymore because of a software update! Shame on you MS!

Monday, January 29, 2018 1:37 PM
  • Has anyone tried using Office 2016 with this latest update 16.9 with SharePoint? We can't seem to open any documents directly from SharePoint. It just pops open a small window and never-ending progress circle.
    Monday, January 29, 2018 8:47 PM
  • Has anyone tried using Office 2016 with this latest update 16.9 with SharePoint? We can't seem to open any documents directly from SharePoint. It just pops open a small window and never-ending progress circle.

Sorry, we don't use SharePoint into our business environment (so far), so I can't tell. But since everything else in the suite is working very badly, I assume this is surely related to the update to 16.9.

Monday, January 29, 2018 9:05 PM
  • I have been having problems as well.  Today I had three MS Word documents open and wanted to cut and paste from one document to add to the other two documents.  I had been working on the first document for several hours and it was theoretically backing up.  At some point the spinning wheel set in and I was completely unable to even close any of the three documents, or to close any other programs that were open.  I was forced to resort to kill shutdown, and to restart the computer.  Of course all of the programs re-launched, and I was able to shut the other programs down.  However, when Word re-launched itself it did the same thing, freezing the computer.  I shut down the computer again, and did a fresh start.  When I opened finder to look for the documents I had been working on, the only versions were those saved yesterday.  I followed all the tips to find and restore to most recent version, but it was gone.  All the work I had done disappeared, and I had to start from scratch.

The recent upgrades seem to slow everything down and I am getting too many error messages.  Including one from excel telling me there isn't enough space to open when I have Word documents open.  This is a mess.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:28 AM
  • Thought we were the only ones having major problems with this recent update. We publish a global report and subscribers were unable to open PDF IN ADOBE Reader wouldn’t print either! Yet, it looked normal in Apple Preview. Also, when opening existing page documents from last month’s Report, many pages had their formatting all messed up: drop caps were at the top of the page above headers and text was running off the page. When I opened the same document in Office 2011 for Mac the page was formatted correctly and I could also creste a pdf that our subscribers could open and print I. Adobe Reader. But what a nightmare indeed, HOPE Microsoft is reading this and getting a fix ready immediately! I called tech support and they denied there was any problem and schedule an appointment with a senior advisor. I will downgrade prior to that call as I now know it will be futile. Thanks to everyone on this forum for bringing these problems to Microsoft’s attention...we hope...
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:36 AM
  • Microsoft strikes again.

The entire 16.9 suite is a complete and utter pig.

The biggest insult is that we can't revert to the previous Outlook version because they changed the database system for some dumb reason. 

Every few years, MS decides to screw every single one of their Mac customers. I guess 2018 is the latest year for that. Hooray.

By the way, the "fix" for Outlook is worse than sticking a hot poker in my eye:

"Microsoft Outlook - In order to revert back to a 15.xx version of Outlook, you'll also have to delete your Outlook profile. This will also delete your mailbox data stored on your computer. If you're an Office 365, Outlook.com or Exchange mailbox users, you'll be able to re-sync your data after setting up your Outlook profile again once the app has been reinstalled."

For those of us with years of Pop3 mail, we're just screwed.
    • Edited by MacCanuck Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:02 AM
  • Hello,

unfortunately i have to chime in:

after having installed the update to 16.9.18011602, printing from Word does not work anymore, Outlook is extremely slow and Powerpoint won't save any pptx-presentation when pasting in vector objects from FlowJo and Prism 7 ("The document XXX could not be saved as XXX.pptx"), which is a hard showstopper for our researchers who depend on this workflow on a daily basis.

Saving the same presentation as XXX.ppt then works, but all the vector graphics get discarded and the presentation is unusable.

It does not matter whether the target location is a local directory, a thumbdrive or a network resource.

Applying the updates 16.9.18012504 for Word and Powerpoint did not resolve the Poeerpoint issue.

Reverting to 15.41.17120500 immediately resolved the above issues.

Would be great, if the future update release notes would describe, which issues will be resolved, as i'll have to stay away from any Office 2016 updates for the time being.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:53 PM
  • One more issue here on Outlook version 16.9 (180116) on macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Passwords for my 4 IMAP accounts are not retained. 

Every time i launch the app I have to enter the passwords for each account.

This happens even if I start fresh and add a new account.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:08 PM
  • Ok, this might have been a keychain issue.

The problem was resolved by opening keychain app > lock the keychain by clicking the lock icon (top left corner) > then unlocking again by entering the mac login / keychain password.

Microsoft probably had nothing to do with this issue for once.

It might have been caused by the recent macOS security update in version 10.12.6

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:32 PM
  • We're in the same boat as everyone else - the latest updates have caused numerous problems for many of our users.

The recent 16.9.1 Word update has killed printing for some users and the 16.9 PowerPoint update reintroduced the old Office for Mac 2011 PowerPoint AirPlay bug where using PowerPoint for an extended period resulted in AirPlay no longer working - although they’ve now managed to make the bug even worse by requiring a complete reboot to get AirPlay working again, previously quitting PowerPoint and restarting the wifi/killing CoreAudioD would usually fix it.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:24 PM
  • Another glitch:  Found out that the new version of Word is not compatible with Endnote. Also had to uninstall and revert to the 15.41 version. 
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:37 PM
    Same problem here with Sharepoint 2013 ans ADFS.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 6:48 PM
  • Hello,

as a student, I'm using Microsoft Word a lot and since I updated to 16.09.01 (180125) it is nearly unusable on my MacBook Air 2013. Everything is extremely slow and I often accidentally delete or miss-spell words because the program is not noticing my keyboard input properly. That is extremely annoying and frustrating...

Hope the problems can be fixed, soon?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:51 AM
  • I also have major problems with Word, starting last week immediately after the autoupdate on Office365.

The Word version on my Mac is Word 16.9.1, which is updated automatically on the Office365 contract.

The Word program started to generate the following error messages last week after the auto-update last week, when trying to access any Word document:

- Undo edit button not found

- Insert citation button not found

- Combo box not found

I have been working on a major document and updating it on a daily basis.  I'm not sure what to do now.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:04 AM
  • I also have major problems with Word, starting last week immediately after the autoupdate on Office365.

The Word version on my Mac is Word 16.9.1, which is updated automatically on the Office365 contract.

The Word program started to generate the following error messages last week after the auto-update last week, when trying to access any Word document:

- Undo edit button not found

- Insert citation button not found

- Combo box not found

I have been working on a major document and updating it on a daily basis.  I'm not sure what to do now.

Any suggestions?

Simply downgrade your version, just go a few post up, I put the link for downloading previous release (15.41). :-)

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:44 AM
  • Can someone explain what the effects of downgrading to 15.x would be? I am mainly concerned w/ Excel as I have not noticed issues with Outlook or Word.

1) What happens to the tons of work/revisions done to existing Excel spreadsheets done since change to 16.9?

2) I can't find my original MS Office 2016 for Mac account info. Is that a problem?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:11 PM
  • Well, I'm glad the downgrade worked for you. As of today, those links in your text pipe to a reinstall of the last "production build". And Microsoft considers that to be 16.9 so downgrade to 15.XX doesn't work. I just spent 50 minutes on the phone with Microsoft without getting any sensible answers. Office 16.9 for Mac really really sucks. Excel is completely unusable, Powerpoint unstable and Word flaky. Never in my life have I seen such a horrible update. 16.9 is a productivity killer of epic proportions. Numbers, Keynote, Pages here I come.  

Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Well, I'm glad the downgrade worked for you. As of today, those links in your text pipe to a reinstall of the last "production build". And Microsoft considers that to be 16.9 so downgrade to 15.XX doesn't work. I just spent 50 minutes on the phone with Microsoft without getting any sensible answers. Office 16.9 for Mac really really sucks. Excel is completely unusable, Powerpoint unstable and Word flaky. Never in my life have I seen such a horrible update. 16.9 is a productivity killer of epic proportions. Numbers, Keynote, Pages here I come.  

Not sure to understand... as I successfully downgraded two dozen of computers in the past few days and now everyone is happy. I'll disable automatic update until I tested a future version 16.xx.xxxxx myself and that's it.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:56 AM

Not sure to understand... as I successfully downgraded two dozen of computers in the past few days and now everyone is happy. I'll disable automatic update until I tested a future version 16.xx.xxxxx myself and that's it.

Hi, That sounds fantastic. Could you please link to where you find the installation files for 15.XX as I can only find 16.9. Thanks in advance
    • Edited by Makrkus Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:36 AM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:35 AM
  • Here you are: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/update-history-for-office-2016-for-mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7

Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:32 PM
  • I am also having a nightmare with word having never had any issues until this latest update - it is failing to allow me to save documents and has slowed the whole programme down so much that it is almost unusable.  Nightmare.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:44 PM
  • How does one get a downgrade to install or request a downgrade?
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:29 PM
  • An update from above. I tried to print a document from Word last night. It did not work on my Xerox printer at home. However, it printed trouble free on a HP printer in the office. Also, I could not save a document as PDF last nihgt but I was able to this morning at a different location. EIther this probelm got fixed in the wee hours of the morning or we have a temperamental product.
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:34 PM
  • thanks a lot   when I talked to Microsoft people I felt like I was stupid   etc feeling I was the only one  

I know a bit about Mac since 19...77  :)   and when a consultant tell me you ZOOm to increase the font  it is nice to hear the professionalism ..ridiculous   then tell me to go to font and set the default ( in fact hit ok or cancel) but it will not work the fonts theme are pre set ..also mega problem ( I wish I had still the Old ENTOURAGE  it looked like a Mustang compared to a Trabant ) I could create a folder in my contact list with perhaps 30 emails in a  folder which I could send directly by moving the folder in send to : when entourage disappeared I lost 8000 email address I had patiently integrated in some folders with specific profession ( I am a recruiter for people like engineers , bankers , IT professionals ) so I used to create specific titled  folder and putting their address in a specific  folder i.e  Engineers  or IT  and also regional Folder IT usa IT europe   etc when I had to move back to outlook ( Entourage not being upgraded ) I lost all those contempts , the folder had only the shell left (YOU COULD NOT move a whole folder you had to move 8000 address email one by one) the "technicians' told me ( at first they could nOT believe themselves that I was right they say you "just" have to move the folder in your outlook .to make it a short story ..I lost a chance to give those 8000 people a job opportunity as I was NOT going to patiently move 8000 emails ,like I did building my entourage base now more than 1 years ago   .I fell bad for those people BUT well... what can I do !!  :( ..also signatures are NOT automatic when you change from: different@emailaddress it wont change the signature ..it will keep the signature from the default email address  only possibility is to manually do it which require five manipulations ..it look like I am back to 15 years backward .

• Edited by bicaillou29 Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:36 PM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:31 PM
  • discouraging IS the word  I know ..same thing here I work professionally 12 hours a day on outlook I should have kept the 2011  lot more efficient ..I did not know that 2016 did not work  should have done a better due diligence 

I learned a lesson wont buy the next version..too scared of screws dup my  data 

Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:39 PM
  • Have used Office for Mac 365 on two Macs for several years.  Running High Sierra / Office for Mac 2016 365 on new MacBookPro with absolutely no problems until "January Update" two weeks ago.  Since then, problems are many with Word and Excel.  Have spent HOURS on phone with Microsoft Level 1 and 2 and 3 techs.  No fix.  Finally after two weeks, rolled back to previous version (December 2017 Update) and appears to have fixed issue.  
    Friday, February 2, 2018 12:52 PM
  • I was sad when I had to stop using Entourage, too, but it has not worked in years.  Granted, it had the awful issue of corrupting its database from time to time. I guess if you had really old version of Mac OS, you'd be set.  

And, yes, signature issues are rampant on 2016, although 2011 and earlier did not allow for embedded urls in graphics.

Friday, February 2, 2018 6:39 PM
  • There's no "downgrade" as such. 

Just delete the new apps and download the old files from here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-go-back-to-office-2016-for-mac-15-xx-versions-from-16-xx-e88ed6c8-6fb4-40a1-9540-529000d3d20f

Note that you cannot downgrade to Outlook 15.xx as the new 16.9 version has altered your database making it unreadable in 15.xx versions. Unless you have a backup, of course, and can restore it.

Friday, February 2, 2018 6:44 PM
  • Thanks for using the word 'nightmare'. It is describes my experience entirely. As a non-IT savvy person, I had far more trouble figuring out what was going wrong till I chanced upon your note. Fortunately it was possible to downgrade.
    Saturday, February 3, 2018 2:19 PM
  • Non-IT user here, too.  This update is a mess and I just reverted to the 15.x versions.  

In particular, in Word, several macros that worked fine before (under Windows, and under Sierra and earlier Mac OS versions) no longer worked properly (or at all), apparently because VBA has changed.  And documents exported or printed to PDF with tables would lose all or some borders and text colored in anything other than the default colors.

And the 16.9.x versions of Word still don't have the ability to change titles or icons for the toolbar.

Saturday, February 3, 2018 10:44 PM
  • I have also found the same issue with fonts. Totally messed up a number of presentations.

HAve you seen any improvement or heard of any fix?

Monday, February 5, 2018 1:35 PM
  • I have not seen any comments from Microsoft here - has anyone received any feedback from them on when this issue will be resolved?

I am dealing with the most sluggish version of Outlook I have ever seen - taking up to 10 seconds for my keystrokes to be recognized by Outlook when drafting an e-mail.

I rely heavily on my e-mail for my job & this is severely hampering my ability to communicate with my team, customers, and others.

Microsoft - someone respond and let us know what is being done.

Monday, February 5, 2018 3:13 PM
  • I tried to report it to them. All the offshore bozo wanted to do was troubleshoot even though I repeatedly told them it was not a troubleshooting issue. Microsoft will do nothing. Just like they always don't when they screw up Mac software. They simply don't care.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:23 AM
  • Beware! The links embedded in this very helpful walk-through go RIGHT BACK TO v16.9!!! Do NOT click the links for the "2016 versions"!  Find v15xx elsewhere!
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:46 PM
  • Is it possible to revert to previous version of Outlook if I have not yet upgraded the Outlook database or pressed the 'upgrade' button? Thanks.
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:40 PM
  • do you know if it is possible to revert to previous version of Outlook if I have not yet upgraded the Outlook database or pressed the 'upgrade' button? Thanks.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:45 PM
  • I read that it is not possible to revert to 15.41 on Outlook. I have downloaded 16.9.0 but not yet pressed the upgrade button to upgrade the Outlook database so before I do am enquiring if I can still revert? Thanks.
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:47 PM
  • Is it possible to revert to previous version of Outlook if I have not yet upgraded the Outlook database or pressed the 'upgrade' button? Thanks.
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:49 PM
  • Outlook folders are gone in new version....
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:30 PM
  • Skype for business dials before connecting to conferences using skype client. 
    The dialing has to be manually stopped. 
    • Edited by ResidentX10 Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:31 PM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:31 PM
  • Appropriate download link https://support.office.com/en-us/article/update-history-for-office-2016-for-mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7
    • Edited by JFMartel Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:53 PM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:53 PM
  • I read that it is not possible to revert to 15.41 on Outlook. I have downloaded 16.9.0 but not yet pressed the upgrade button to upgrade the Outlook database so before I do am enquiring if I can still revert? Thanks.
    No!  Don't do it. There's no way to revert.
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 8:34 AM
  • Simmz

good evening, I have a similar experience with this latest update

I have also opened a thread on here: Excel for Mac 2016 Version 16.9 (18011602) crashes when I run a 'save and close' macro via a Form Control Button 

like others Ive gone around in circles trying to get an answer from Microsoft tech support....

I live in hope that Microsoft acknowledge the bugs and address them quickly.

• Edited by Banjo060664 Monday, February 12, 2018 9:06 PM wrong text
    Monday, February 12, 2018 8:38 PM
  • I have also been keeping an eye on this Microsoft help thread where MS says the 16.9 issue has been reported to the related team.I'm not holding my breath, but I do come back to this thread as it seems to be the most active on this issue. I figure if anyone on this thread hears of a fix to 16.9 (besides reverting to 15.x), they will report back here (hopefully).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/just-updated-excel-2016-for-mac-and-its-slow-as/b6e6db63-f5b8-42dd-9a1e-dd6473086c5c

"Hi All,   (2-1-18)

I have reported this issue to related team and we are investigating it now. You will be informed in this thread if I get any update.

Regards,  Yoga"

"Hi Greg,   (1-29-18)

Thanks for your information.

We have contacted related team and we are still working on it. We will post back in this thread once we get any update about the issue.

Regards, Yoga"

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:35 PM
  • There is a new update 16.10 (18021001) - has anyone tried if problems are solved?
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:18 AM
  • If you use Exchange as I do, you can go back to 15.41 with no problem.

• Microsoft Outlook - In order to revert back to a 15.xx version of Outlook, you'll also have to delete your Outlook profile. This will also delete your mailbox data stored on your computer. If you're an Office 365, Outlook.com or Exchange mailbox users, you'll be able to re-sync your data after setting up your Outlook profile again once the app has been reinstalled.

Go to your Library > Group Containers > UBF8T346G9.Office > Outlook > Outlook 15 Profiles. Delete the "Main Profile" folder and all its contents.

Note: If you're using a POP/IMAP server, make sure you export your mailbox before deleting your profile. To do this, open Outlook and go to File > Export and then follow the steps above.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:27 AM
  • After updating to 16.9.0 (18011602) Outlook is useless. If I enter "Online Archive" all messages are downloaded from the server and it takes 5-7 hours (my Archive is 40GB - limit is 50GB). "Sync Status" is in permanent use!

After restarting Outlook and entering "Online Archive" it is downloading all again. My computer's free disc space changed from 90GB to 50GB. There has to be some bug...

I reverted to 15.41 and everything is fine now.

I'm experiencing exactly this behavior. In addition, messages from the Online Archive that I flagged for follow-up several years ago are all populating into my "Tasks". Even clearing the flags does not remove them. 
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:47 PM
  • @dkuchovsky I tried 16.10 to see if my macro issues where addressed in it and the answer to my specific problem is 'no'. Word can no longer use VBA to launch excel. As soon as you give it the 1 liner to launch it barfs with an automation error. I've reverted back to 15.x again and everything is good. So from my experience don't go looking for 16.10 to fix the issues. Give MS another 6 months by the looks and they may get 16 working like 15.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:24 PM
  • Here is my macro I've tried on a number of 16.10 systems without any working but under 15 is fine.

Word Macro

Option explicit

Sub Test

Dim xl_Appl as Object

Set xl_Appl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

end Sub

Word 16.9.1 and 16.10 gives an automation error 80080005 on the CreateObject line. On Word 15.x and earlier this works fine. 

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:27 PM
  • Is anybody tried Outlook version 16.10 for improved stability? I am currently too busy downgrading (reinstalling Outlook) to 15.41 in our business environnement to test it out. Since version 16.9 where EXTREMELY unstable and crashed/hang very very often, it becomes impossible to use for most of my users, myself included. I was unable to reply to many email as I have the "BBOD" spinning forever and then having to force-quit app.

Did anybody see if Outlook version 16.10 are more stable?

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:35 PM
  • Since version 15 I have had trouble copying from excel into word.

Now with version 16.9 and 16.10 I cannot copy excel and paste as PDF, PNG or TIFF. It just shows a white box. I need to take a screenshot of the excel table I want to paste in, then drop it in as an image.

Does anyone have this same issue or any solutions?

Friday, February 16, 2018 1:55 PM
  • I'm running Outlook 16.10 on High Sierra.

Updated to High Sierra as prompted. After update, received message that my version of Outlook (15) would not work on High Sierra. Downloaded and updated to Outlook 16.10.

It doesn't crash, but it also does not send emails via gmail smtp server. 

I wish chronic diarrhoea upon the team that developed this still-born p.o.s.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 6:50 PM
  • We've been having major issues with 16.9 and now 16.10. Some users are getting Excel crashes (which is by far the most used Office application) and it is severely affecting their work. I've collected a few of the error messages but they haven't proven to be particularly illuminating, including in my Googling.

I'm going to try reverting Excel according to the linked page. We've already tried a reinstall of just the apps as well as a complete reinstall (removing all the folders etc). That's on top of a bunch of other troubleshooting steps I've gone through. I hope this older version works and the users I'm going to revert don't need any current features... and then I'll just wait until they release a fix, I suppose.

This really has been a nightmare for all involved, especially as it's the busy season.

Monday, February 26, 2018 6:27 PM
  • I'm using 16.10 (180210) on El Capitan. I cannot open any Word document – not even a new blank document – without Word crashing. I've reinstalled the app several times, switched to a different Templates folder, deleted normal.dotm, restarted it "Safe Boot" mode … nothing works.
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:56 AM
  • I'm using mac High Sierra 10.13.3 and Office 16.10. I'm not able to create excel object in macro 

Dim xlApp As Object
    Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

Also characters entered in textbox as password with PasswordChar = "*" are not show as "*" but shown as the typed characters.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08708379-f9f3-4a9c-9370-23e66cdb681b/characters-entered-in-a-textbox-with-passwordchar-are-not-show-as-but-shown-as-the-typed?forum=Office2016forMac

Please help!

Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:24 AM
  • At this time, my problems have been only with Outlook but that is because I haven't tried the others. All my email groups are gone. It is very unstable and crashes multiple times in a day. You can always tell a crash is coming because of the beachball that portends the threat. You can't search in one folder, no matter how small or big without the search being automatically for the whole mailbox. This is very discouraging.

Hi MacAddict2018, what does "email groups" refer to in your description? Does it mean contact groups?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:30 AM
  • You're not alone. I'm using a MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.3 and this office suite just sucks! Most of my job involves reviewing and editing large tech documents in Word and Excel. So when I'm reviewing a group of design documents, I'm switching from one word file to the next word file to the next excel file and so on. I have suffered three crashes within the last month alone while in the middle of these tasks. I will get the stupid beach ball of death on one application, then all the rest fail. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Skype, and Outlook all crash.

My company's IT team have not yet come up with a clean solution as the rather brute force method of deleting and reinstalling my Office 365 suite AND a complete wipe of my account's config files just to reset the stupid thing. This results in my having to reset my Outlook encryption and external encryption certs for all my browsers.

In reading the responses, I'll need to check and see if my organization will allow me to run on version 15. But this has to change quickly. I lose five hours of my busy day this happens. The only other option is to give up my Mac and go with a Windows device.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:33 PM
  • Hi All,

We have released the 16.11 version on March 13, 2018. Could you try to upgrade to this version and see whether you issues still persist? Please keep us posted. Appreciate your time.

Best regards,
    Steve Fan

Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:17 AM
  • Outlook folders are gone in new version....

Hi ResidentX10,

How's everything going with this issue?
    If you are still encountering the problem, could you please clarify what you exactly mean by "Outlook folders" then we can do further research on this? If possible, it would be better that you can remove the privacy information and then share a screenshot about the issue. 

Any update is appreciated. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Hey there,

I just paid for a one-year subscription to Office 365 and installed Office 2016 for Mac on my MacBook Pro.

Best part? It does not even work.

Tried opening a blank template for Word. Does not work.

Tried opening an existing document. Crashes.

What is up Microsoft?

I'm running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3 on a 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB of RAM.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? I have tonnes of paperwork to work on and this does not help on bit.

regards,

Roszaimy

Friday, March 16, 2018 7:03 AM
  • I upgraded to the new version on March 13.

MSWord- changed the page layout of my documents so original pages now move to a new page. I have to go page by page to adjust document. Can't alter to go back to original page layout. Changed the Table Design and font sizes.

Excel- won't update my files to bring in links from other Excel files that I copied and pasted special with Paste Link. Says "We can't update some of the links in your workbook right now."

Friday, March 16, 2018 9:42 PM
  • I am now seeing another Update available as of 3/11/18.  Excel 16.11.0 (18031100). Has anyone tried this to see if it fixes much if anything in Excel from the 16.9 SNAFU?

I did the update from the problematic 16.9 to 16.10  a while after it was available. This benefited by somewhat less sloooow scrolling on the page, but all the basic flaws still seemed to remain.

Friday, March 16, 2018 11:11 PM
  • Steve, you just released 16.11 and I started getting problems I didn't have before.

MSWord- changed the page layout of my documents so original pages now move to a new page. I have to go page by page to adjust document. Can't alter to go back to original page layout. Changed the Table Design and font sizes also.

Excel- won't update my files to bring in links from other Excel files that I copied and pasted special with Paste Link. I have to manually cut and past link again for each. Message comes up and says "We can't update some of the links in your workbook right now." 

I have 25 documents each with a minimum of 200 pages and different Excel files in each of the 25 folders that I link together. How do I get back to 16.10 or when are you going to fix 16.11?

• Proposed as answer by Tinrobert Sunday, March 18, 2018 1:45 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:57 AM
  • I solved the problem with 16.11 and any older version. Just revert to 15.41. It was only introduced in December 2017 so although it sounds old it is not. Use this link. 

• Edited by Tinrobert Sunday, March 18, 2018 1:51 AM
    Sunday, March 18, 2018 1:47 AM
  • Have you had any updates on your issue?  We're still having the same issue where Office for Mac 16.9 or higher cannot open any Document from SharePoint 2013. 

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 2:07 PM

I'm having a problem with SharePoint and Office as well. Two of my users Office apps crash whenever they open files from the locally synced SharePoint folders.  The same files work fine if they are saved (unsynced) to the desktop and opened from there.  And open fine in the web apps.  The way I've gotten it to work is to create a new Mac user profile and migrate the user data to this profile.  Not the most efficient solution but it has worked for me.

Oh, and Outlook stopped working on two other users yesterday as well.  Uninstalling and reinstalling Office resolved this problem.

It would be great to know if Microsoft is working on a new update that will address all these issues but right now it really is a nightmare.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:05 AM
  • I rolled back to Version 15.41 and the problem went away.  I turned off Auto Updates and will await a new version that hopefully won't suck.  Thanks for providing useful info on this thread!
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:27 PM
  • Sad there are still folks adding to this thread in April, but to add on (for the fellow sticks in the wind using Excel, converting text data from XLSX into CSV who are running into random encoding issues)...

- I can confirm the 16.xx updates removed Windows Comma Separated CSV from the list of available file formats (to save/export)

- It was replaced with Macintosh Comma Separated CSV -- yes, Windows Comma Separated CSV is still listed in their help files. If you're on this thread, you probably realized they're not the same!

- After trying various combinations of CSV file types with no success, and even trying Pages, I decided to rollback to 15.xx. (I got my work done by moving to another machine set up with Office 2011)

- Rollback with the links provided in-thread or, for convenience, here. The steps are legit: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-go-back-to-office-2016-for-mac-15-xx-versions-from-16-xx-e88ed6c8-6fb4-40a1-9540-529000d3d20f

- You will be able to export CSVs without issue into your web analytic frameworks of choice!

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:14 PM
  • I am using 16.11 and seeing more problems than before. I can't copy and paste text from excel to vim (terminal) reliably and worse still--a within-excel only issue--sorting only works it you sort twice using the same parameters. This isn't just annoying, it's dangerous if you don't catch it.
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:34 PM
  • I can confirm that CSV is back in Mac Excel 2016 insider version 16.13 (180424). It might be included in the 16.12 version also, but I can't confirm that. If you need it you can move to 16.13.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Friday, April 27, 2018 2:44 PM
  • I waited to do the update and I just did update. I work with file folder labels and they won't let me copy and paste.

Did you have to revert back to the old Word or is there a fix now?

Sunday, April 29, 2018 12:19 PM
  • worst update ever - we are having to uninstall and roll back to 15.41 on all computers - 3 desktops and 3 laptops - what a waste of valuable time.

when I talk to Microsoft support they act stupid and ignorant as if nothing has happened and they just cant understand why we would be having such issues.

will look for a new program for our emails and go back to using apple office software if this doesnt get fixed.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:21 PM
  • It is a disaster - I have never had so many updates and on a descending basis i.e. functionality is getting worse. When I open outlook I get a message to say email cannot be downloaded and will I enter my email account password - within a second email is dowlloaded wiht out any need for the password. 

When I had the standalone of office 2011 never had such problems - think Microsoft are just tinkering to justify the annual subscription.

Saturday, May 19, 2018 2:37 PM
  • Seriously? Microsoft has completely abandoned  the Mac users? When Intuit cast Mac aside years ago for Quicken/Quickbooks users, that was a significant blow, but the MS Office suite is much more important to almost all Mac users, this baffles me. Microsoft does not have a shortage of resources (like maybe dinky by comparison Intuit's possible 'excuse'). Is there absolutely no hope for MS to work on Macs now? Is this a ruse to FORCE users to switch to PC machines???

Almost to 11 month anniversary of the 16.9 thru 16.16.5 (181209) supposed updates for this MS Office 2016 for Mac nightmare. Thru the past year, my problems had only been with Excel (I do not use Word a much), but this week Outlook is having issues. I am constantly being asked to re-login my PW to my two email accounts (Comcast and a GoDaddy acct). I am running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a late 2012 Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB ram, SSD drive.

I am using a desktop version of MS Office 2016 for Mac. I was ready to consider buying into the MS 365 scheme, but I now notice 365 folks have the issues just the same as desktop version users. I do not have the ability to revert to MS office 15.xx.

Previous last post to this thread was 7 months ago (May 19). Have people found another way to use MS Office on their Macs? Is is just older Mac and/or older OS X versions with MS Office major issues?

Frustrated in Mac world,

Dave

Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:37 PM
  • Agreed.  It absolutely terrible.  I want the wasted hours of my life spent trying to fix this crap back....
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:08 AM