none
Changing e-mail account type in Outlook 2010

Question

• How can I change an e-mail account from IMAP to POP? And of course the Help option is WORTHLESS. It's like Bing, when you type something in, you get hundreds of unrelated items.

As I have discovered Outlook 2010 defaults to IMAP and I did not realize this when I set it up. When I click on the account and click change I do not have that option, the drop box showing IMAP is grayed out. In Outlook 2007 the account was a POP account. When I installed Office 2010 and imported my .pst files, Outlook '10 saw them but would not use the inbox and it's subfolders forcing me to set up new accounts and never allowed me to choose (darn automated processes!) what type of account and of course defaulted to IMAP. That is causing me some issues like my inbox is filling up on my ISP's mail server since it does not delete after downloading (and of course I can't find the option to tell it to delete from server after downloading) and I can't create subfolders (leading back to the ISP server issue and also another annoying issue for me with this version of Outlook) to set up rules to move messages. I would much rather NOT have to create a new account and delete the other as I shouldn't have to do that. About ready to chuck this version and actually eliminate Windows/Microsoft from my life. Windows XP Pro SP3, Office 2010 Professional (even more irritating than Office 2007).

It's as if Outlook 2010 is stepping backwards and losing options of functionality.

Friday, March 04, 2011 10:29 PM

All replies

• Many customers were not familiar with the benefits of IMAP. The product group determined that with an improved IMAP implementation in Outlook 2010, if Outlook detects the server supports IMAP, it should default to it.

Of course, during the creation of the accounts, there is a way to manually choose POP3. There is not a way to switch an existing account, so you will need to create a new account using the first method described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287532.

Since your mail is still on the server, the items will be downloaded again (and based on your POP settings, deleted from the server, too).

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:21 PM
  • There may be benefits to IMAP, but with as small as the storage capacity as my ISP has my capacity is met in a ferw days. I know MS is pushing this "cloud computing" thing, but there are many of us who want nothing to do with it and prefer the tried and true way, so why should a small group of people decide that IMAP is what is should be if the server has the capability since not all will have the storage capacity as Hotmail?????

So because of this I in turn had to go into my mail via the web and delete stuff off the server so I do not have all those e-mails there. There you people go again making an assumption. When I initially went to create the account, once I put the POP address in, Outlook took over, gave me no choice and set it it for me. It was nice that it was that painless, but I should have been given an option to choose wether I want to use IMAP or POP. I realize that MS is trying to make it easier for the people who are not computer literate, but give the option of allowing to allow the program to automatically do things or let the user do it themselves. Every year and every upgrade causes me more frustration with MS products and makes me think more and more about migrating away. Why is there so little flexibility anymore??If you would get away from so much automation in the program, it would have a little better security!

Now I will have to disconnect from the internet and see if I can move all these e-mails to my old folders and then set up the account again.  In the older versions this would not have been a problem. What a pain!!!!!!

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:27 AM
  • Many customers were not familiar with the benefits of IMAP. The product group determined that with an improved IMAP implementation in Outlook 2010, if Outlook detects the server supports IMAP, it should default to it.

Of course, during the creation of the accounts, there is a way to manually choose POP3. There is not a way to switch an existing account, so you will need to create a new account using the first method described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287532.

Since your mail is still on the server, the items will be downloaded again (and based on your POP settings, deleted from the server, too).

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Many Microsoft employees are not familiar with the drawbacks of IMAP, nor advantages of POP3 apparently. The product group determined that with an improved IMAP implementation in Outlook 2010, if Outlook detects the server supports IMAP, it should default to it without giving users any advance warning - and that when this default for the account proved to be an error, correcting that error on the account should be impossible.

Of course, during the creation of the accounts, there is a way to avoid the problems with the default and manually choose POP3, but only if the user happens to know IMAP will be irrevocably enforced since "there is not a way to switch an existing account".

This seems similar to the enforced, uneditable taskbar icon spacing: enforced on everyone so that the 0.1% of touchscreen tablet users have lots of room for fat fingers to tap.  Astoundingly poor decisions!

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:53 PM
  • This is a terrible non-responsive reply from MSFT.

Most tech aware and expert users are more than "familiar with the benefits of IMAP" and are more than familiar with the MANY drawbacks of main-frame (e.g. "Cloud") apps and centralized control of data and applications configuration.

IMAP is not superior to POP when the client should be in control of data storage, use, and removal.

I agree with others who feel MS is way overstepping when software developers of an app exhibit the degree of hubris needed to deny paying clients control of their own applications programming and data use -- we are the customers who pay MSFT wonks their large compensation packages.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Part of the already-provided response is a link to documentation that helps customers add a POP3 account. Additionally, this feedback has already been sent to the product group for them to understand customers' concerns regarding this change.

Thank you.

Abdias Ruiz
    Microsoft

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:00 PM
  • The reason I want to change back to POP is that Outlook 2010 does not allow IMAP accounts to be the default DATA account , so every time I open Oultook it defaults to a blank data account as my email was set up as an Imap account due to the better features (Why push for IMAP if the default data folder cannot do IMAP??). The Imap is also very slow. Now to change back to POP3 I will have to delete the Imap account and download all the email again.... Unless I am missing something BIG?

• Edited by Spaceracer Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:28 AM
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:25 AM
  • spaceracer,

what is the big issue with just doing what you just said. You know that MS has five different way too do the same thing. So just delete the account,setup pop and re-download.

jce122672

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Look Guys,

I don't care about the unpteen ways of doing it, I just want the software to work.

I don't want to spend endless hours reading and researching why this happened ot that happened. Life is too short for all of that baloney.

I purchased a new HP Laptop, 433find 0s and installed Home and Business Office 2010, on it. Like the first guy, I now have two different accounts, not one and have all of the same problems. In any other business, you trial a product before you market it, this irons out all of the bugs (99% anyway). Microsoft obviously doen't do that and relies on the user to find the problem, then MS try to solve it.

Please answer me this.

1. When I remove all of the data relating to my profile and delate all past pst files, why doesn't Outlook allow me to set up a new profile wiothout having a pst file. ERROR MESSAGE: Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store cannot be opened. If I go back and Recover/Restore the software, I end up with (to date) 10 different pst files, from the recovered data.

When I set-up again my email profile, I have a profile that my emails go to from my ISP server. I have another profile where I can only set up sub folders. I cannot transfer from one profile to the other without another Error Message saying I must be connected to the server to do this. I may as well go buy an older copy of MS 2003 or 2007 and delete 2010 as it is more of a hinderance than benifit.

• Edited by Pete.l Friday, May 18, 2012 8:43 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 8:42 AM
  • Please answer me this.

1. When I remove all of the data relating to my profile and delate all past pst files, why doesn't Outlook allow me to set up a new profile wiothout having a pst file.

Because deleting your data files isn't the same as deleting your settings. What you did is more like deleting a docx-file and expecting Word to reset itself completely. If you want to delete your mail profile, you need to use the Mail applet in Control Panel. This has always been the case for Outlook.

If I go back and Recover/Restore the software, I end up with (to date) 10 different pst files, from the recovered data.

Recovering/Restoring software doesn't involve your data but just installation files. If you actually meant that you recreated your mail profile and chose not to re-use an existing pst-file, then yes, a new pst-file will be created.

When I set-up again my email profile, I have a profile that my emails go to from my ISP server. I have another profile where I can only set up sub folders. I cannot transfer from one profile to the other without another Error Message saying I must be connected to the server to do this.

Are you actually talking about separate mail accounts here?
    To reconnect to any of your exisiting pst-files you can use File-> Open-> Open Outlook Data File.

The error message suggests that you added an Exchange account while not actually having an Exchange account.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Friday, May 18, 2012 9:07 AM
  • But... it's not fair that you tell us there is a way to change during the creation of the account -AFTER tHE FACT.  So, my problem is that the IMAP is not better because we have poor connections here.  I am always getting error messages and I cannot see what I had opened because it is not saved to my computer unless I manually move it.  The POP3 allowed/allows one download and then if connections were lost it was okay.  At least I could see what was there and write responses which would wait in my outbox until I was able to get back online.  As others say, things pile up on the server and unless I can get online I cannot get rid of them.  There is no advantage of making me default to IMAP.  It's too bad you felt that we, the consumers were not wise enough to make that decision ourselves.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:27 AM